Alameda, CA

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by viver, Apr 13, 2001.

1. viver

viver Regular Member

Hi all,
    Would any of you living in that area inform if there are any badminton equipment retail shop? My niece wants to buy a decent racquet but she can't find anything for badminton in big sports stores. Any help is welcome.
    Thanks

2. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    Hmm..it seems that Alameda High has a team. It's very hard to find retail shops there. Only places I know are Badminton Alley in Sunnyvale and Asby is San Jose. You should go there..it may be a drive...but at least you'll get there. Other than that...you get your stuff online. Trust me, it's kick ass when they deliver it to your house. Try erackets.com. They have low price rackets. That's where I got my Ti-10. They have the MP77/55 also.

3. viver

viver Regular Member

Thanks for your reply. Actually she is only at beginner level and already told her to look for a not so expensive racquet but there does not seem much to choose from. I'm surprised, it seems that here in Vancouver we have more alternatives regarding racquets selection. At least I can find a variety of models in many sporting goods stores.
    How is your badminton training going?

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    viver, why dont u send to her one of your old used one. Many older rackets are more well made than current new stuff.

5. viver

viver Regular Member

Hi Cooler,
    I've talked to her but it seems that she has her thoughts on an Yonex Carbonex 23 racquet. Told her to think of alternatives but she seems fixed on that one.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    well viver, at least she doesn't has 'beginner' taste on racquet :)

7. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    Damn..you sure man? How old is she? A Carbonex 23 is about $100+.

8. viver

viver Regular Member

Cooler, who said marketing does not work? Her father does not sound very enthusiastic too!!

Yes Tony, you heard me right. She goes by the looks!! :)

9. Zico

Zico Guest

closest one i know near Alameda is ASBY which is in San Jose, if you watn directions, it should be in the main page of their webpage which is www.asby.com

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there is a big general sports store in Fremont, Tri-City, which sells limited amount of Yonex, i remember seeing a Ti SwingPower SS there once. i was quite surprised. the price is standard retail price. but then, Asby is only 20min down the road and will definitely have better stringers.

why doesn't she try mail order? it'll be cheaper. there are quite a few good badminton mail order places around.

11. viver

viver Regular Member

Thanks for the replies. She is browsing the web pages and have a lot of questions about stiffness, tension, weight distribution, etc. and worse she seems stuck with that Carbonex XX. Since she is just a beginner, told her to find a store where she could have the 'feel' of the racquet before buying. In my opinion she should not go for the Carbonex, but kids!! I'll let her father know about ASBY and wait for results. :)
    Thanks for all the help.

12. Eric

Eric Guest

Um...She should definately try to avoid Tri-City. Most of their prices for badminton equipment is quite high ie. Aerogear 2000tfx was like $190. The stingers as well are horrible they do not check for cracks and they only have bg65 in 100m rolls.

13. QpigQ

QpigQ Regular Member

student
    hi hi... i just walk by... but since u guyz are talking about alameda high school's badminton... I want to interept.... because i'm one of the player in the team.... mix player.... I wondering who is ur niece? I just wondering.... if i know he/she or not.... haa ha~!

14. kabalen

kabalen Regular Member

if you want the yonex stuff, you can try badminton alley in sunnyvale. ask for david. im sure he can get what your niece wanted. she can also answer any of your niece's question about racket stiffness, flex, tensions, and ecetera. hope that helps.

15. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

United Badminton Club in Fremont has a pro shop that's closer than the shops mentioned above. They had year-end sale a year ago on Yonex, Victor and Kason and racket price was lower than other shops in bay area at that time. I don't know about their regular price, though.

16. viver

viver Regular Member

Guys,

Thanks for the responses... the question was first posted in 2001, and my niece is graduating from university this year :)

17. slvrdrgn123

slvrdrgn123 Regular Member

Improving what little skills I have
    [​IMG]

18. RiceBaiiKhao

RiceBaiiKhao Regular Member

LOL BADASS reviving thread after 5 years, is she really better?