Badminton/China Open: Tan Fook-Wan Wah face axe

Discussion in 'Japan Open / China Open 2006' started by ants, Oct 19, 2006.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    20 Oct 2006
    NST
    MALAYSIA’S top men’s doubles pair of Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah may be dropped from the Doha Asian Games if they don’t buck up following their shock second round defeat to an unheralded Japanese pair in the China Open yesterday.

Chief coach Yap Kim Hock said he and doubles coach Rexy Mainaky will discuss the next step for the duo after the China Open.

"I am disappointed with their loss. They have not been playing well in the past few months and I think the best option now is either for them to improve in training or face the drop from the Asian Games," he said in an telephone interview from Guangzhou yesterday.

World No 3 Tan Fook and Wan Wah were given a lesson when they were soundly beaten 21-17, 21-9 by Japan’s Keishi Kawaguchi-Naoki Kawamae in the second round.

What made the defeat more painful was that the Japanese had to play in the qualifying round to make the main draw.

Kim Hock said their replacement could be World Championships quarter-finalist Mohd Fairuzizuan Tazari-Lin Woon Fui.

However, Kim Hock was happy with the performance of Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat although they lost in the second round.

"They have not been playing together as a pair since the World Championships following Chong Ming’s father’s death. They should improve before the Doha assignment," he added.

The defeats of their more fancied teammates meant World No 12 Gan Teik Chai-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif were the only Malaysian pair left yesterday.

Chong Ming-Kien Keat fell to a 21-11, 20-22, 20-22 defeat to China’s scratch pair of Xu Chen and Xia Xuanze. Xia Xuanze was China’s former top ranked singles player.

Teik Chai-Mohd Zakry moved into the quarter-finals when they defeated world junior doubles champion Tan Boon Heong-Hoon Thien How 21-19, 21-12.

But they face tough opposition in World No 2 Jens Eriksen-Martin Lundgaard Hansen next.

Wong Mew Choo also booked her place in the women’s singles quarter-finals with a 21-18, 21-19 win over China’s Jiang Yan Jiao.

However, Mew Choo, ranked 17th in the world, faces an uphill task against top seed Zhang Ning today.

In the women’s doubles, Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui defeated Singapore’s Jiang Yanmei-Li Yujian 21-6, 21-12 to reach the quarter-finals.

They face Taiwan’s Chien Yu Chin-Cheng Wen Huing today.

Malaysian’s challenge in the men’s singles ended when Kuan Beng Hong crashed to a 21-11, 21-9 defeat to China’s second seed Chen Jin.

World Championship mixed doubles semi-finalists Kien Keat-Wong Pei Tty were also early casualties, going down 21-17, 20-22, 21-19 to Xu Chen-Zhao Ting Ting of China.

RESULTS: (Malaysians unless stated): MEN’S Singles, 3rd rd: Chen Jin (Chn) bt Kuan Beng Hong 21-11, 21-9.

Doubles, 2nd rd: Gan Teik Chai-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif bt Tan Boon Heong-Hoon Thien How 21-19, 21-12; Keishi Kawaguchi-Naoki Kawamae (Jpn) bt Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah 21-17, 21-9; Luluk Hadiyanto-Alvent Yulianto (Ina) bt Chew Choon Eng-Hong Chieng Hun 22-20, 21-14; Xu Chen-Xia Xuanze (Chn) bt Koo Kien Keat-Chan Chong Ming 11-21, 22-20, 22-20.

WOMEN’S Singles, 2nd rd: Wong Mew Choo bt Jiang Yan Jiao (Chn) 21-18, 21-19; Lu Lan (Chn) bt Julia Wong 21-11, 21-13.

Doubles, 2nd rd: Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui bt Jian Yanmei-Li Yujian (Sin) 21-6, 21-12.

MIXED DOUBLES, 2nd rd:Xu Chen-Zhao Ting Ting (Chn) bt Koo Kien Keat-Wong Pei Tty 21-17, 20-22, 21-19; Xie Zhongbo-Zhang Ya Wen (Chn) bt Gan Teik Chai-Fong Chew Yen 21-16, 21-15.

2. ricksakti

ricksakti Regular Member

Surgeon
    Haya... Malay MD should have the confidence on themselves. They are strong, but somewhat the important ingridient is missing.

3. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

Maybe ants can ask Lee/Choong what is happening to them lately .;) :cool:

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Since i'm close to them, its sometimes sensitive to ask them these kind of questions. It can be many factors. Wait til i meet them.. and i try to find out what hapen.

5. cindie

cindie Regular Member

It's pretty disappointing when they played like that.. Hope that they can improve and play better next time..

Hope ants can do something about this.. haha. :p :p joking.

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Hahah... i can't do anything about it. What is can do is to encourage them.

7. xijiayu

xijiayu Regular Member

Time to get young pair to step in for AG. We cannot always rely on the old pairs.

8. ants

ants Regular Member

I do agree with you. I would want BAM to allow the younger pairs for more exposure. Since they are doing reasonably well. Cant just depend on older pair.

9. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

maybe they should look into splitting them up and passing on some experience to the younger pairs. LWW/TBH and CTF/HTH would be interesting combinations and will help the young pair develop. unless, of course, they pick up some bad habits as well! :D

10. fukusami16

fukusami16 Regular Member

Yes i agree with Dreamzz.Mas should do that to build the youbger mens doubles .ANd i believe that Ctf and LWW will give the younger pair alot of encouragemnt...i hope BAm wil ldo that ...

11. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

Yap, ants. Please encourage them and tell them that there are still so many fans who wish to see them play well and achieve something big before they retire.

Anyway, i agree that the coaches should give more chances and attention to the young pairs now. It is very hard to change the habits of the veteran pair already.

Oh..so sad..I love this veteran pair so much since 1999 when i watched them playing at Singapore Open beating a few top pairs like Ha/Kim and Tony/Halim.

12. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

The age factor is catching up to CTF/LWW.

In MD, most or maybe almost all Asian pair cannot play as good as they used to be after they are in their 30. Maybe because most Asian pair used fast and always attack tactic.

Different from European pairs who prefer placing and then smash occasionally.

Thats why European pair will be much stronger when they were older cause their placing more accurate.

The only way for ASian pair over 30 to compete right now is changing their style of play a bit. More placing and less smashing if not neccessary.

Thats what Tony/Chandra did. They do not smash all time as much as they used to be when they were in their mid 20's. They do much more placing now.

And it work. From 4 tournaments they enter this year, the results is astonishing. 3 title and one QF or SF round.

13. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Give Tan Fook and Wan Wah the last chance as I am sure they will reitre next year. If this pair do badly in Asian Games then Yap Kim Hock most probably will be let go and he can only blame himself as he stick his neck out for Tan Fok and Wan Wah way too many times without much reward so far. Yap is gambling and I am afraid he may lose, what a pity.