Having problems defending with a CAB racquet

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Tammy, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

I finally made a switch to a CAB racquet. My main racquet was Ti SP SS. This time I got a CAB 30MS. It took me only 5 minutes to adapt to it. I have finally experienced the "explosiveness" of cab racquets that everybody has been talking about. My weakest point is that I can't clear very far, but with the CAB 30MS, my clears are much, much better. That's why I have used it as my main racquet these days and I think my games have improved a lot.

But ... (yes, there is always a big BUT to everything in life, which is not perfect :)) ... My defense has become worse. I used to be able to take lots of smashes with my Ti SP SS, but I have missed a lot of them with the CAB. I guess the reason is the smaller sweet spot.

Has anyone got this problem before and what did you do to overcome it? Don't tell me to switch back to my Ti SP though :)

I am thinking of practicing to receive smashes, but have no time or court space for training these days. Any quick way out ??? ;)

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, my suggestion is "practice". The timing does not come from no-where, but needs the practice to make it perfect, especially you are switching to a smaller sweet spot racket.

From my own observation from local players, I see the main problem by switching to a new racket is more on the defense side. The reason is simple, as in offensive mode, you are the one "plan" for your shot. You tend to find the best choice to get a winner. In defense stance, you are the one being pushed, and sometimes find "no enongh time" to excute a decent swing. Therefore, you might suffer some step back on the defense game.

It takes time. Some smashing return drilss during training or warm up sessions can help reduce the time. ;)

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    tammy, did u got the 2u or 3u cab30ms?
    yes, your reasoning is correct, your mishits was most likely due to the smaller sweetspot of the cab. If u can find a 3u cab23, this one has a larger sweetspot.

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) why do you set yourself up for the other to smash at you. (unless it is during the warmup)
    2) i would suggest to drop the tension down 1 or 2 lb to get a bigger sweet spot.
    3) iso spoiled you and you need to practice on your defensive return...

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree.

With the same tension, oval rackets feel like at least 2 lbs "tighter" than the iso ones. Therefore, decrease by 1-2 lbs can help you to go back to the "comfortable zone". :rolleyes:

6. blueagle

blueagle Regular Member

really? my AT700 is strung at 26lbs and my CAB 20 is strung at 24lbs. i did the right thing after all.:)

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

fluke:p :D ....

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    String tension is only one of the many factors that effect the overall "feeling" during play. As long as you find your comfortable combo, stick with it. :p

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

going to a thin string helps too

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi Cooler,

I am thinking about experimenting with dental floss as badminton string. What do you think, good idea or bad???:D

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    agree, practice lots of drives. imho, smash defense is most similar to drives so practicing drives will help you get the right timing.

another thing about cab defense is that the smaller sweetspot can be to your advantage, if you are the type who like to change the trajectory of the shuttle return via spinning it, cab racket can actually induce more spins to the shuttle. while iso is more of a plain bounce off type of return.

12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    And drive against the shuttlecock against the wall. Stand 7' from the flat (concrete) wall and try to hit 100 times non-stop using backhand grip underhand stroke. Next try 200 times and so on . . . etc.

If you find yourself improving, use a badminton training racquet or a squash racquet to do the same drill.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    why would that help? i don't think it is an issue with strength but instead a issue with the different sweetspot size.

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Actually, that's what we do at ClearTwo trainings. Irrespective of the badminton racquets (excluding badminton training racquets) we use, our goal is to strengthen certain parts of the forearm muscles that are required for defenses and drives.

Badminton training racquets are the next step up after one hit the shuttle against the wall over a 100 times.

#14 Pete LSD, Oct 2, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i think it's bad due to poor resilency and poor aerodynamic.

many years ago, i thot of using...... guitar string (the thinnest one, it's thinner than bg66, 0.23 to 0.5mm). Bot some steel kind but never got around experimenting it. Imagine the slice i get, i can literally slice some cork off the shuttles:p The ping sound would be unforgetable:) 30lb? no prob.:D (but yes prob. for the racket:()

#15 cooler, Oct 2, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i think what kwun meant, in scientific term:

tammy = constant
    racket = variable

tammy want to work on the variable component(s) first:p:D

17. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

Thanks so much, guys! So my guess was right ... There is no quick way out but practicing :) Got to find time and a court soon :)

In the mean time, I guess I can have it re-strung with BG-66 (thanks, cooler! I always like BG-66. Did not know it helps with the sweetspot.) I had my Ti SP strung at 21lbs. I'll probably go 19lbs with the cab. Or is 20 lbs better?

#17 Tammy, Oct 19, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  18. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

I used to play classical guitar (My guitar has been gathering dust on the wall. No time for badminton, let alone the guitar :(). The lower strings (which produce high notes) are made of "plastic" that feels similar to badminton strings. I don't know the thickness though. You could experiment with them. I wonder which string (badminton or guitar) last longer on a racquet :)

By the way, my CAB 30MS is 3U. I will try a CAB 23 as you suggested. Thanks!

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

not sure if cab23 come in 3U but 3U prolly better for u.
    I think it is better to practice more with ur cab30 than buying another racket for now.

20. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

Of course. I love my CAB 30. But will try CAB 23 one day if I can find it cheap :)