Why linesman not Video system?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2006' started by woodenRacket, Sep 22, 2006.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Your belief is the ultimate research source? What you believe needs to be backed up by research.It's not about one or two points. What's crucial is the timing of bad calls because then there's a fine line between the winner and loser under the NSS. Ultimately, it's about giving peace of mind to the players so they can perform their best.It's about protecting the integrity of the match so that the outcome is not decided by incompetent line judges or sleepy umpires.Badminton is closer to tennis as a sport so we should look to tennis experience to learn from rather than other sports.As for the finance and technology, that's IBF's problem.I am confident IBF will find a solution.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..hmm, "ultimate research source"?? says who?? did i say those words, anywhere??..:confused: :rolleyes:..That's according to what *I* believe, personally.. ;)
    Sure it's "not abt one or two points and the timing of bad calls are crucial etc2", but tell me, why is this "uproar" over bad line-calling happening now??..I mean you know the game has been here with us for so many yrs, yet as far as i know, i've never known this much "uproar" over bad line calls etc. And during those yrs and times, you don't think there had been bad calls involved before?? Has the quality of the linejudges and linejudging really gone down "this drastic" recently??..
    As for IBF wanting to try something similar to tennis and have all the "fancy-schmancy" high-tech IRS(Instant Replay System), you can read my previous post #19. If they want to do it, then more power to them. And if you say that's IBF's problem, so do I..;)
    My point is, again like i mentioned before, the players just have to live with it and move on, with or without the new proposed IRS. If they(the players) don't, then try putting themselves in a linejudge's position and try to determine the call themselves. Apply/volunteer to be a linejudge themselves and try it out..;)

#22 ctjcad, Sep 24, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  3. beauty

beauty Regular Member

And in tennis they can ask for replay only two times in match. So it is not use always as a lot of people think.

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think the reason for the limit is to prevent abuse. Just imagine, a losing player can delay the game and thereby upset the winning streak of the opponent by repeatedly asking for a replay after every losing shot.

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If the cost is not an issue, go ahead. Follow tennis' lead (though it may rankle us to have to follow them). I like the idea that players can only challenge wrongly for a limited amount (2 times per set; and an additional one in tiebreak) but if always correct, then that player can keep challenging.

Or look at alternatives (if technology permits) - the simpler the better. Video tech may not be foolproof.
    For instance: (please don't laugh)
    1. An invisible ink at the cork that will temporarily leave a mark on the court (if you watch clay court tennis, you will understand).
    2. Put something on the line (easily attached and detached to suit singles and doubles) so that when the cork hits it, it makes a sound (this idea, I get from the squash tin).
    3. Like 2, but instead of sound, some kind of light if the shuttle hits the line (fencing).

6. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Can technology really do it?

I would like to raise a question for those who suggest using high-tech sensor or those who are familiar with such equipment in detecting whether a shuttle is in or out:

Unlike tennis ball (or any other racket sports balls), the shuttle is not a round object. And the point of deciding whether it is in or out is the contact point with cork, not the feather. This is especially pertinent when the shuttle is being hit flat at speed and landed at a small angle to the floor, sometimes it is difficult to judge if the cork hit in/on the line or outside the line because the feather could obstruct a clear view.

If those high-tech sensor is used, would the technology be able to distinctly tell in a situation where the cock landed out but the feather part was in?

If the existing technology cannot 100% determin that, then it is no better than a human line judge - both still make mistake. If that is the case, I would think using a video reply at various different angles for disputed calls would be a better option. I am also for the argument that the usage must also be limited per set per player.

7. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    you know what would be a cheaper solution?

teach players to accept that mistakes are made and that it's part of the game.

even if we had a fancy IRS system with only two challenges allowed players would still get bad calls, but would have the added pressure of deciding whether or not they thought it was out. at the pace that the game is played any (and i mean any from social players all the way up to pro) can think they saw the shuttle land differently to how the linejudge did.

the system works in tennis because the gap between points is usually longer. whereas in badminton the game is continuous with few gaps apart from the occasional towel down. introducing and IRS challenge system would just be another way for players to break up play.

Coops

8. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    Video System of course, it will help alot in games situation when linejudges are unsure or a player is complaining about the call which they think has gone against them. Then they could just replay it on the GIANT screen and we will know.

9. beauty

beauty Regular Member

I do agree - to teach players to accept. I have to say that behaving of some players is not very nice. The truth is that on court they are under the pressure and this pressure is psycological - they see what they want to see. As somebody said here, a lot of calls where players didn´t agree with them were correct and players complained and shout, break the rackets etc. They don´t even think that it is them who will loose the concentration = points.

10. beauty

beauty Regular Member

when linejudge is unsure, they have possibility to show signal "unsighted" and then umpire can decide if it was in/out or they will play let.

11. beauty

beauty Regular Member

It is amazing how small thing can start such a huge discussion. Small thing I mean disputable line decisions. In Madrid I was on court during almost 20 matches and only during one match was problem with line calls. And generally never happened on court that there would be more than 3-4 "bad" calls in match - match is at least 42 points, so instead of argueing, shouting and generally misbehaviour - would be better to more concentrate for play and stop to blaim the other.

12. event

event Regular Member

That doesn't surprise me in Madrid, which is neutral ground. It surprises me more that Lee Chong-wei and Lee Hyun-il got so upset about line calls. Hitherto, I've only seen vocal protests by players when it involved hometown line judges. Errors are one thing and expecting professional athletes to deal with human error is reasonable but bias is another thing altogether and it seems to be particularly bad in badminton where national loyalties are so prominent. It isn't like World Cup football where you only ever have professional officiating by people from neutral countries or professional team sports like basketball or baseball where your professional officials and most of your teams are from the same country. In badminton, next to the players, the line judges have the MOST impact on the game, they are not professionals, and they almost always have occasion to call games involving a hometown favourite (apart from most recent world championsips).