Is Yonex AT (500) right for me?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by ramsak, Sep 14, 2006.

1. ramsak

ramsak New Member

Hi Guys!
    I've small problem as described in many Threads. Curently I have ISO 96VF for 5 years, stringed with 9kg (20 lbs), witch I found it better than 10kg. Now, I want to buy new one, MP or AT series. Fortunately, few days before I tryed the MP99 (with 11kg, 24 lbs) and found it to stiff, hard and I couldn't gained the smashing power as with current ISO 96VF. After carefull reading recomendations in this forum, chart studing and badminton alley survey and the last, based on my "instict" I chose AT 500 (Flex: Stiff) or maybe 300 (Medium Stiff) as preferable one. Nobody I know has this racauet to try it myself, so I will rely on your opinion. Please help me, conforming the AT series as right one, and "vote" for AT 300 or 500 (or something other, mp 66, nanospeed)?
    As described in " How to ask the ultimate equipment question in BadmintonForum.com?" the rest data is:
    1. How often do you play, how serious are you?
    3 times per week, recreatively, without competition ambitions, 2old2comp.
    2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)
    Offensive, I enjoy smashing, killing the birdie. And only singles. A lot of opponents said I have very strong smash (and they are afraid of it).
    3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?
    Don't care. Current ISO last for over 5 years, and still in good condition. I hope the new one to be approx the same (not stringed too much).
    4. How much money do you want to spend?
    Don't care. Considering live expectancy and smashing enjoyment, the year spend is negligible!
    Please help me!
    Greeting from Slovenia, Matjaz
    some my badminton pictures on http: iepoi.uni-mb.si/ramsak

2. morewood

morewood Regular Member

"2old2comp"

What your 80+? I know a 66 year old who is playing more competitions now than ever before as he has the days free having retired.

Anyway back too the question, if your found the MP99 too stiff then perhaps the AT300 would be more your bag, the shafts not as firm so its more forgiving in that sense and theres more scope to alter the stringing to suit you. As an extra bonus its cheaper than the others too!!

3. ramsak

ramsak New Member

"2old2comp"

"2old2comp"
    I'm glad you notice that... I'm 38, not to old ... but don't want to comp.
    Anyway, back to AT, 300 or 500, that is the question.
    As I've readed in the stringing section in
    Badminton Central Guide to choosing Badminton Equipment, by kwun, I think its similar to have 500 stringed at 9 kg or 300 stringed at 10 kg. If this is right, I would prefer 500 at 9 kg in order to have option of increasing the stringing later.
    Thanks for advice.
    Matjaz

4. powerboy

powerboy Regular Member

Student
    i have an at500 and think its a good racket. Its not all that stiff, more medium-stiff, and is an all round good racket (especailly for smashing), mine is 3UG3

5. Bigman

Bigman Regular Member

Student!
    i have both AT300 and AT500 (both 3ug3 with overgrip with BG80 @ 24lbs)
    and i find the AT500 suits my game better as it is a little bit stiffer and easier to place the shuttle where i want it.

As for smashing they are both very good at producing steep powerful smashes.

In my opinion i prefer the AT500 because I find it easier to use.

If you get the chance try both out but they are both top quality pieces of kit.

6. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

I have tried both ISO 96VF and AT 500. I think you will do well with AT 500. It is surely more powerful than ISO 96VF and gives less vibration. I also found MP-99 a bit too stiff for me, but AT 500 is fine. Consider it a step up from your old ISO 96VF. So go for it.

7. smash1987

smash1987 Regular Member

although not that stiff, i find that the at500 is too stiff for me, as i have only been playing for 6 months, i cannot get enough power from it

8. ramsak

ramsak New Member

I owe you some kind of report using AT500.
    At first, I was horified with the head heavines, and non-ability of
    fast-wrist smashing the birdie. I already wrote the advertisment to sold it.
    But, after 3 times (per 2hours) of using it, I'm horified using my old light head racquet as unable to produce realy powerfull smash. So with the AT500 I beat my competitors for approx. 5-10 points, while using my old one ISO96 I can hardly beat them, or loos.
    The bottom line is, AT500 is geting fine with me.
    Probably I have to restring it from 8kg to 9 or 10 too.
    Thank for all hints.

9. Hanger

Hanger Regular Member

Gigabyte USA
    Bump up this old thread^

Wow this is just the thread i'm looking for
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43255

Like you, i've owned my ISO 96VF for almost 6 years now, been playing on and off until i got back to playing at work (we have a badminton court here) and started competing with co-workers until my new restringed racket snapped. Now i'm comtemplating between AT500 and AT300, leaning on the AT-500 for now.

But this thread helps me with my decision alot!

10. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    The AT500 is a great racket for intermediate players, you will enjoy playing with it!

11. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    What kind of job allows for a badminton court??

12. Hanger

Hanger Regular Member

Gigabyte USA
    A company with a big wearhouse? lol

we have ping pong table, pool table, badminton court, and full basket court lol

of course sometimes we have to fork lift some shipments out of the way first

13. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    Personally, i did not really like the at 500 or 300 because i could be a cheaper brand racket and have jsut equal power and control. The 500 is indeed a more balanced racket but if you had the money( which you probably do) why not invest into an at700? It is arguably the best singles racket out there. I have one and it packs a lot of power yet being easy to manuever around the court. If your a player who uses more arm power than wrist, the at700 should fit you quite well =]

14. Hanger

Hanger Regular Member

Gigabyte USA
    But AT700 has a stiffer shaft than AT500

kinda looking for a soft shaft, any other suggestions?

15. Loppy

Loppy Regular Member

Are you sure you don't want a stiffer racket? Stiffer rackets are better for strong smashers, so if you indeed do have a strong smash, I'd go for something like the AT700, maybe you just need to get used to extra-stiff rackets.

16. Hanger

Hanger Regular Member

Gigabyte USA
    lol that's the reason, i don't think i'm a strong smasher. So i'm looking at rackets that's in the mid range but will improve my smashing power, for example: AT500, i think AT700 with stiff shaft will be too much for me. I'm upgrade from my old old ISO 96VF.. hoping AT500 will just be right for me ;)

17. Hanger

Hanger Regular Member

Gigabyte USA
    Had my friends in Taiwan ordered 4u AT-500 with bg85 at 24lbs and 3u AT-900 P with bg80 at 24lbs for my co-worker, which will arrive here in 4 days...

can't wait.... :D

#17 Hanger, May 7, 2007
    Last edited: May 7, 2007
  18. joedc

joedc Regular Member

So how are you enjoying the AT500?

19. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Much much much too late....don't revive dead threads.

20. joedc

joedc Regular Member

^What's the problem? I find there are many threads where the OP asks for racquet advice, then goes out and chooses one, but never reports back with any feedback. Anyhow I'll start a new thread about it. No problemo.