Taufik v Chen Hong

Discussion in 'World Championships 2006' started by Loh, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Game 1: TH 21; CH 14 in 13 min.

TH took the first game rather convincingly.

At the interval, TH was leading CH by 4 points, 11-7.

Some published statistics:

Smash Winners TH 5, CH 3 (+2 for TH)
    Unforced Errors TH 11, CH 16 (+5 for TH)
    (So TH won with a net 7-point difference.)

From the above statistics, it would appear that TH was more effective in his smashes and CH made too many unforced errors. Both of them employed an attacking strategy with tight net plays and deadly smashes. The game ended with TH scoring a cross-court smash to CH's backhand. Earlier,TH also scored a point with a 268-kmh body smash but he was also indecisive in judging at least 2 baseline clears from CH. Also two rather weak lifts from TH was killed with smashes by CH.

#1 Loh, Sep 28, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Taufik v Chen Hong: Game 2

Game 2 won by CH 21-18 in 16 min.

From 5-all onwards, CH won 3 consecutive points (8-5) with a net dab, a smash to TH's backhand and an unforced error committed by TH when he cleared outside the baseline. TH then won a point back with a smash (6-8). But CH accumulated another point with a tight net cross to make it 9-6. TH then executed a 300+kmh smash to CH's backhand and collected another point when CH hit out. TH trailed to a narrow 8-9 at this stage before CH unleashed another big smash and a disguised net drop to advance further to 11-8 for the interval.

Immediately after, CH added 2 more points (13-8) when TH hit out and could not return a smash to his backhand. Next, TH gave CH the same medicine when he won a smash to the latter's backhand (9-13). CH then won a fast drive to TH's backhand and another point from TH's net error (15-9). TH recovered 2 points with a smash and a tight net play (11-15).

Now TH was 4 points down, yet he hit out again to give CH another point (16-11). Then TH suddently hit a bright patch and narrowed his deficit to 2 points when he collected 3 points from his good serve and two unforced errors from CH (14-16). Unfortunately a lapse of concentration found TH giving back two points to CH when he hit outside the baseline and into the net (14-18). Fortunately, CH returned the compliment with two net errors (18-16) to put TH in contention again.

However, CH quickened the pace and shot further ahead to game point, one of which came from his effective smash to TH's backhand (20-16). With defeat staring in his face, TH responded with a big smash and forced CH to make a net cross error (18-20).

The next point was gallantly fought by both gladiators and lasted the longest with 11 rallies. However, a loose net return enabled CH to kill it instantly and TH was denied a clear straight games win, losing 18-21 in this second game.

But the following statistics for Game 2 remained confusing:

Smash Winners: TH 13, CH 9
    Net Winners: TH 5, CH 5
    Clear Winners: TH 1, CH 2
    Unforced Errors: TH 19, CH 20

If the numbers were true, TH should have won! But the scores indicated otherwise. CH deserved to win this second game as he was leading by 4 points at game point 20. He was moving faster and looked more focussed. He displayed a keen desire to win the game to keep him in the hunt. :confused:

#2 Loh, Sep 28, 2006
  3. elwin81

elwin81 Regular Member

I am so impressed by the performance of CH in this tournament. Credit to him.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Chen Hong shocked Taufik in Rubber

Game 3 - Decider and Match won by CH, 21-19 in 22 min.

They were even at 6-all and really created a lot of excitement and surprise with their uncanny shots. TH's points even came from a 'behind-the-back' return and a net tumble, while CH capitalized on his overhead smash. CH also delighted with a diving save from TH's cross-court smash and his "inside-out" smash (as coined by our English commentator) to TH's backhand. There were also the inevitable unforced errors committed by both parties.

CH then moved to 7-6 with a big smash at 303 kmh but he also lost points for clearing outside the tramlines and smashing out with his backhand to allow TH to lead momentarily at 8-7.

All even at 8-all - Towel Break

CH put himself all even at 8-all with a 284 kmh smash when TH failed to lift to full base a shot from CH which hit the tape. At this point both players chose to take a short break by towelling down.

On resumption, it was TH who went ahead to take 11 points first against CH's 10 just before the interval. TH gained points from a net push to CH's backhand and a net kill while CH scored from a smash on TH's poor lift and replicated a quick push to TH's own backhand. But CH also smashed outside the baseline to give TH the lead.

From then on, neither party was willing to concede precious points. It was a tenacious see-saw battle :

TH-CH "See-saw Battle"

11-11 (TH saved net kill but hit outside tramlines),
    12-11 (TH smashed down the line),
    12-12 (CH smashed),
    13-12 (TH smashed),
    13-13 (TH hit out after saving smash),
    14-13 (CH committed net cross error),
    14-14 (Backhand net kill from CH after forcing TH to return a loose drop),
    14-15 (CH smashed cross-court to TH's forehand),
    15-15 (TH won his trademark fast, flat exchanges),
    15-16 (Fault 'short' service from TH),
    16-16 (TH successfully blocked CH's short lift),
    17-16 (CH smashed into net from baseline),
    17-17 (TH hit outside tramlines)
    18-17 (CH hit long to TH's forehand)
    18-18 (TH hit out a backhand lift from CH)
    19-18 (CH hit net)
    19-19 (TH was forced to lift net drop which CH smashed cross-court)

The Critical Point

19-20 (For a change, CH took charge when he reached the vital match point first. He served low to TH's forehand. TH blocked straight to the front net corner, a most effective shot under normal circumstances. But CH lunged full-stretched forward with his backhand and executed a delightful net cross which surprised TH and forced him to lift to CH's forehand. This is the critical turning point for CH. I suppose TH was expecting a lift from CH which he will surely kill. But the courageous CH defy the odds and made a delicate net cross return instead, totally wrong footing TH. A delighted CH jumped high into the air to meet TH's disastrous lift and blasted the shuttle down the line. TH was too shocked and slow to return the smash with his forehand.)

19-21 (The inevitable, and perhaps the most heartbreaking moment for TH's fans, had to come. TH tried to regain his composure and the initiative with his net play but to no avail. In desperation he was forced to lift CH's low return but his shot fell marginally outside the tramlines to present a tame victory to CH who had fought very hard point-for-point just 22 minutes ago. That match point must have cost TH dearly as he could not recover from the shock of CH's unexpected net return just a moment ago. It all happened just too fast but they were the two most critical points in the entire match!

This titantic battle was characterized by booming smashes, double's-like fast, low and flat mid-court exchanges, solid defense, with both opponents trying their best to keep the shuttle low by incorporating delicate net plays to gain the upper hand. But at every opportunity both combatants would try to employ their deadly smashes. CH even tried to emulate TH with his backhand smash, which he did quite well although TH was able to return easily.

Taufik Hidiyat was unlucky not to win the rubber and match when he was leading at 19-18, with only 2 points away from victory. Fitness wise, he was not found wanting as some had wanted us to believe. He matched Chen Hong point-for-point and even led most times in the “see-saw” rubber.

I feel CH should thank his lucky stars that he prevailed. He did score well with his powerful smash mainly to the backhand of TH, but CH's mental strength was his strongest asset. Only Chen Hong's persistence and determination to beat TH for the second time out of seven previous losses (?) that inspired him to change the script at this Madrid World Championships. And he did surprise even the former WC champ who might have taken CH a little less seriously.

Credit should not be taken away from Chen Hong of course for he proved his mettle when he subsequently beat the great Peter Gade in the quarter final. Chen Hong was also not disgraced when he lost to the eventual new champion, his compatriot Lin Dan, in the semi final in three games.

Maybe now there is no emotional distraction for Chen Hong with Gao Ling not constantly by his side. Will Lin Dan be able to take the pressure since he and Xie Xingfang are now much the couple in the limelight? What about Lee Chong Wei and Wong Mew Choo. Will they also be able to remain focused in their pursuit of world badminton supremacy?

Time will tell. ;)

#4 Loh, Sep 28, 2006
  5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i think chen hong won the 2nd and 3rd games due to superior net play, but it was very very close, could really have gone either way.

that's what i don't really like about this 21-point system, i've noticed that it gives the advantage slightly to poorer players. but i guess we all just have to adjust to it.

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

An excellent blow-by-blow account of what happened that night! Thanks Loh!

I personally think that Taufik did not look out of gas, esp since he DID lead 19-18 in the closing stage. But, CH really fought for every point...u can see the fire burning in his eye. He really wanted to win this badly! Even Taufik himself admitted later on that CH was more aggressive than him on that day, even winning some points on the net (an area in which Taufik is supposedly more superior).

What seems to be lacking in Taufik is his MOTIVATION. You couldn't see it from him, which was very important in the crucial stages of the game (the last 2 points).

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I don't want to start another slew of discussion here, so i'll make it brief..

(hope you guys won't mind as i can sense this is an "extension" of the "Explain why TH lost?" thread)...;)
    ...hmm, that's an interesting point...But then i would wonder, if that's the *only* reason for him(esp. against CH) not being able to advance to the next round, then(i'll open these inquiries to anyone):
    1. Why did he (or PBSI) decide to come and compete??..
    2. Why did it take 3 matches for him to finally lose?? Why couldn't he lose in his 1st match or 2nd match instead, rather than going this far??..
    3. Why did it take 3 sets for Taufik to suddenly "lose the motivation" against CH and esp. towards "the crucial stages of the game"??..Going that far and so close, exerted all the energy(if he still has any left) and yet still loses??..Couldn't he just lose in 2 sets instead??..
    Was he "playing around" or "taking it easy" with CH??..Didn't Taufik realize that if he loses against CH, he will not go any further??..
    Or was it simply or most likely CH was more prepared (mentally & physically) coming in to play in the WC(as shown with his SF finish) than Taufik was??..;)

Anyways, those are some of the issues i wonder abt, if indeed TH's "motivation" was lacking..:confused: ;)
    BTW, Loh, eventhough i didn't *fully* read all of them, just from quick scan, that's a pretty comprehensive review of the game; for real, i couldn't write any better...;) :cool:

#7 ctjcad, Sep 28, 2006
  8. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    I think we may over analyze the situation. In 21-point system, the last few points is so critical to the outcome so when the scoreline was that close I would say luck has something to do with it.(Some may relate to mental toughness but if Taufik was the one who win, does it mean CH lack of mental toughness? Shouldn't be)I think Taufik is close to his prime and played the same way he has always been except now he find it harder to win not just because he's not 100% rather other players also have improved. Just my opinion

9. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    Thanks Loh! :) A nice piece of analysing :) I watched this match the other day and both TH and CH made so many errors! But credit to CH for taking the match :)

10. huijun

huijun Regular Member

engineer
    Just watch WC 2005 Taufik vs Lin Dan. Lin Dan has no answer to net point of Taufik! But in this match, Taufik's net is not as sharp as he in WC 2005 and this is the reason he lose to CH....;)

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Basically Taufik can win the match.. but he blew it. Chen Hong was able to force Taufik to lifts more shuttles. Dont underestimate Chen Hong's smashes.

12. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, due to superior net play! :D

13. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    1. not 100 % fit
    2. not motivated to win
    3. less practising
    4. poor self confident