Where to play Jacksonville, Fl.?

Discussion in 'USA East' started by Christian, Dec 6, 2001.

1. koolcorean

koolcorean Regular Member

Ok i am sorry i havent posted in a while, i want to play so give me a call 327-7822 and what time at UNF are people playing? ill show up if im not working

2. donlelel

donlelel Regular Member

Contest at UNF

Hi,

It's a pity Srini you didnt specify when the badminton tournment takes place at UNF (days, hours) - or maybe it's private? I've called at UNF but nobody's to be found on the phone now(Sat). I'll try to pass by there and maybe I'm lucky to play some game too. Or at least get more people interested in playing to have their contacts when we start the club.

Cornel

3. donlelel

donlelel Regular Member

Meeting YMCA

Hi,

Just to let you guys know that on this Wen I meet with someone at YMCA to see where we put the badminton courts.

Keep you posted,Cornel

4. koolcorean

Hey cornel got a guy who called me today looking to play badminton too, i dont think he posted but said he could get us courts at sandalwood highschool since he knows the coach and principal well his name is joe, also i spoke with my father and he said he could register us with the city as an official city club!

5. thejoegoff

thejoegoff New Member

Hello,
    I'm joe, the guy that koolcorean vbmenu_register("postmenu_434057", true); spoke with yesterday. I am going to Sandalwood in about an hour to meet with the principal and the athletic director. I am going to see not only if we can use the facility there im gonna try to use their nets as well. I am new to this group and would like to speak with some other members so that i am able to possibly contribute. Thank you for letting me join this forum, and remember to eat your wheaties cause we will be playing very soon!! Please feel free to give me a call. 904-226-4911. Thanks again!

Joe Goff

6. thejoegoff

thejoegoff New Member

Got it

i met with the athletic director of sandalwood today. she gave me some forms that i need to fill out. she is a long time friend of mine and said that she has no problem letting us use the gym. there is one issue, we need to be insured for at least $1,000,000. i know it sounds like alot but she gave me some numbers to call and get quotes. she said that it should be around 300-400 dollars/year. that isnt to much if everyone piched in. once we get all of that done we can start doing scheduling. please call me if you have any quesstions. 226-4911

Joe Goff

7. koolcorean

sounds very resonable, better than paying ymca 30 bucks a month, lets work on that , im going to speak with the VP of UNF i believe they said i could use their facility for free since my father donates money etc.. ill let you guys know how that turns out too,

8. donlelel

donlelel Regular Member

Good job guys

Hi,

Good, let's see what we can do with that insurance.

I've also met today with a manager from YMCA and they're willing to help us / schedule some badminton time for our games. There are 2 options for them, even 3:
    1. YMCA membership (if you have low income, you can get for as little as 5-10$ / month, maybe)
    2. Pay per visit (5 $ pass per day) - I'd say it's pretty cheap
    3. Free access as a guest of a YMCA member (maybe only a few times a year though)
    So, I think YMCA looks appealing too. They have a good gym, I dont know about the school you guys are talking about - anyhow I plan on comming to both places, if we can start. The guys from YMCA said they're willing also to give us more support / start a league or so if there's enough interest for it.

I'll wait for YMCA to give me some timetable and I'll let you know. Please, everyone keep on exploring whatever other gyms we have available.

Best,Cornel

9. thejoegoff

thejoegoff New Member

Im getting excited!

I am staring to get pretty stoked about playing with you guys. i called on the ionsurance yesterday. for the whole club it is $300/ year. i am not sure how many people are willing to participate. i know of about 5-10 people that i used to play with that would be mnore than happy to join. i would like to meet with everyone sometime soon. that would be the best way to figure all of this out. i have a house off of girvin road if that is close enough for everyone, or if there is another location thats fine too. i only have two peoples numbers that were on this site, please call me so we can get the ball rolling. Thanks, and i look forwad to meeting all of you soon!

Joe Goff

10. donlelel

donlelel Regular Member

Money for insurance

Hi,

I think we can start by splitting the insurance cost to how many we are - 50$ per person per year it's OK, even if we dont recoup anything later from new members. I'll call you to see when we can meet - I'm available mostly after 4:30 pm during the week and before 10 am and after 2 pm during the weekends.

For people who dont know much about Jax (people like me), it would be good to have the exact address of places we are supposed to meet (like this school where we would play) - this way I can search on the internet etc.

Cornel

11. donlelel

donlelel Regular Member

Badminton news - copy of email sent to people on my list

Hello,everybody,

I dont know how many of you followed the thread for starting a badminton club in Jax from
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5382
    At some point, anyhow, I understood that all these people on this email list are interested in playing badminton. If anyone changed his mind, please let me know and I'll take him out of this list (note: also all the other users of this list should take him out).

In resume, that's what it seems to be important now for our badminton club:
    - Joe talked with people from Sandalwood Highschool and they agreed to let us play there for free (schedule to be found out later, Joe will keep us updated on that) provided we buy insurance
    - Joe found the needed insurance for 300$/year for all the club. Now we have to collect the money from people that want to come.

The plan is to start with as many as possible people that are serious about playing badminton (even if it's only 4) and new comers will be left eventually to play first time without paying (anyhow, maybe some waiver papers should be signed in the case of an accident) and, if decided to continue, the club membership should be paid in full. The membership fee should allow recouping some of the money paid for the insurance plus buying on a regular basis of the needed shuttlecocks (I'd propose some plastic ones, more durable and eventually in the eve of some competition feather ones) plus eventually some couple of cheap rackets (to be temporarily offered to new comers untill they buy their own rackets or to people that break their rackets during the game). Joe offered his house to meet eventually and discuss more on starting this club and collecting the money to pay the insurance. People that cannot come to the meeting could pay their share by sending a check (remember we have to collect the money for the insurance).

Here's Joe's phone number: 226-4911 and here's my phone number : 322-8257 (best time to call for me - in the evening, say 8 pm - 10:30 pm).

I hope we'll start soon also our own web site where more info / news about our badminton club could be read.

If you know of other people interested in playing badminton, let they know about our effort here. It would be great to have all kinds of badminton player levels - eventually we'll have to dedicate some of the badminton courts for begginer/medium/advanced level games, but that's going to depend on how many participants we'll have and their skill levels.

We'll be waiting for :
    - suggestions
    - Joe's address
    - some proposed time to meet for our first meeting
    - some proposed schedule for our badminton games at Sandalwood Highschool (and directions for it, please - my guess is that's the Sandalwood Senior High School from 2750 John Prom Blvd, Jacksonville, FL - Joe, please confirm)
    - pledges for starting up the badminton club (and chipping in for the insurance)

Best,Cornel

PS. Sonnie and Krishna, the email addresses that I have for you dont seem to be good (or, more likely, I didnt understand your writing)

12. koolcorean

hey Cornel, lol sorry i got your post though my email is saonnie123@yahoo.com no spam people!!!!

13. thejoegoff

thejoegoff New Member

Its Go Time!!

alright guys, we are very close. i want to say thank you for everyone stepping forward so quick to get thing started. lets not stop now. if everyone can, we should meet at my house wednesday at 7pm. my address is 1037 Nesting Swallow Dr. Jacksonville Fl. 32225. it is located off of girvin rd. please feel free to call for directions. yes the address for sandalwood is 2750 John Prom Blvd, Jacksonville, FL . that is located on St. Johns Bluff Rd. in between atlantic and beach. once we get the insurance we can start playing i will meet with sandalwood today to start the scheduling with them. Sonnie, do you have any information from your father on getting us registered as a city club? that might be required to get things rolling. let me know.

Joe 226-4911

14. DShaz6344

DShaz6344 Regular Member

hey guys

sorry i havent posted in a while, im so glad we are finally getting things together for badminton in jax. I unfortunatly cannot make it to the meeting tonight but for people that are going please keep me updated. My email is DPSiazon@hotmail.com and Cornel has my number if anyone needs it. As far as fees for insurance i dont mind helping out so count me in, thanks! -Dennelyn

15. donlelel

donlelel Regular Member

Meeting results

Hello,everyone,

To sum up our Joe's house's meeting conclusion:
    - Joe will buy the insurance this week
    - Joe will get the schedule to play at Sandalwood after getting the insurance
    - Sonnie will have his dad register our club to the city (maybe beginning of next week)

So, there are big chances we'll play next week. We'll keep you posted,
    Cornel

16. abijoy1

abijoy1 New Member

Would love to join you guys!

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and relatively new to Jax. I am very interested in joining you guys in getting a club started. Used to play in Michigan and Montreal when I lived there. I have spoken this morning to Cornel and left a message for Joe. Please let me know how I can help/contribute. I am a teacher at a local High school and will inquire at my school if we can start a Badminton club there.

Please keep me posted.

Vijay
    387-4067

17. donlelel

donlelel Regular Member

Games today at YMCA

Hello,

Just wanted to remind anyone interested - we'll play
    today at 6 pm at YMCA on San Jose :
    Williams Family Branch YMCA - Details | Map
    10415 San Jose Blvd Jacksonville, FL 32257
    You can get there by turning north at the San Jose
    exit off 295, passing a Midas auto shop, some bank and
    then turning right at the light (you'll see the YMCA
    mailbox just there at the X-road).

I called repeatedly at YMCA this week, I wanted to
    make sure we have the court ready. Today at last I had
    a phone call back letting me know that the court
    should be ready.

Bring your rackets and, if possible, also some
    shuttlecocks.

Best,Cornel

PS. This is a copy of the email sent to all the people on my badminton email list. If you are not on this email, pls let me know and I'll put you in - this forum thread might not be updated regularly. Here's again my phone number: 322-8257.

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Maybe this link might help..

..perhaps, you can try this link:
    http://sbabadminton.org/wheretoplay/fl.htm :)

19. lookmomitsme

lookmomitsme Regular Member

Anyone interested in playing in San Marco?

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and recently moved to Jacksonville. I have been talking to the San Marco YMCA and they are VERY open to starting a league there. The manager has set aside, Monday 11/27 in the evening, pick up games, December 4, 11 and 18. I am going to see if non-members can play for a nominal charge or something. I do not know the answer to this as of yet. Even if you had to be a paying member, perhaps the price would be worth it. You can use your membership when you travel, usually for free all across the country.

I am an average player, looking to change that. Does anyone know of any training camps in the US or anyone in this forum able to coach?

Please email me at vicoogle@gmail.com if you would like more detailed info.

Thanks

20. DShaz6344

DShaz6344 Regular Member

HEY everyone its been a while since ive posted anything, I wanted to let everyone know that on Dec. 14 from 6-8pm FSU is hosting a mixed doubles tournament. I have to get the details as far as registration or fees but i know if you are not a student there it is a $10 entry fee. If anyone is interested my email is DPSiazon@hotmail.com...thanks!