World Badminton Championships: Zolkples: BAM must be accountable

Discussion in 'World Championships 2006' started by ksooi, Sep 25, 2006.

1. block306

block306 Regular Member

My thoughts:

LCW: played as well as is expected of him. I don;t think he lost the game rather than BCL won it.

CTW/LWW: Not unexpected in some ways as they have always crumbled under pressure. Under-par performance.

Hafiz: indiferrence performance. What else to expect; this guy is already a millionaire after winning AE. There is no more motivation in him. He should be drop gradually from the scene from now on unless he buck up. I rate his performance a betrayal.

The others did as well as is expected, in some cases better. It is again unlucky for Team M'sia to have lost one of thier major potential (CCM) due to unforeseen circumstances. Just like they did during the Thomas Cup (read WCH).

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I am also surprised at the kinda money that BAM received from the NSC.

I don't think PBSI was given a budget of even half that amount!

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    No wonder many pros from overseas have intention of going to Malaysia.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

You got it..

:)..yah, beside players, their current MD coach is a good example...And esp. like one player that's been in the news recently(hint,hint)..;):D ..Eventhough i think that's just part of the reason for that player to consider moving to M'sia...;)
    On that note, i really hope if that player is considering moving to & playing in M'sia, that player can compete and represent M'sia in next yr's WC..:rolleyes: ;) :cool:

5. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I hope that is Taufik !

6. xijiayu

xijiayu Regular Member

My opinion is that, forget about the defeats and concentrate on the AG. We should really put in more trust on our young players (both MS and MD) and bring them to AG. BAM seldom give them chances and are thinking of bringing Roslin back to the squad. This does not help in long term and will just solve the problem temporary.

7. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Mas sport council has always put in a lot of hope in badminton and treat badminton as a nation first sport...So..its nothing strange that how much money they have put in..Peoples are always like this,when something happens,they wanted an explaination...Actually,now the most important is not the report or explanation of the reason of defeat, the WC is over and no point we are blaming who fault..Now the most important is BAM should think seriously what is wrong and try to solve it...As a badminton lovers and the medias,we shouldn't press all the players too hard...Although LCW has lose in this WC,but we can never denied that what he has done for our country...So, it is the same for CTF/LWW...Lets hope to see a new Mas team...

8. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

--------------------------------------------------

That would be interesting, after bringing down his PBSI he can

migrate and create havoc in the BAM.

In case outsiders are homing in in recent years Msia has produced several world beaters :

1) Ladies World Squash champion

2) Countless individual and team champions in Bowling

3) Several World champions in WUshu ( but only because team China withdrew in some events in order not to hog all golds)

4) Sprints in cycling.

9. amaze

amaze Regular Member

World Championships 2006

Well, certainly the most disappointing outing for the Malaysian team. :crying:

Once read an article on motivation. The Russian gymnastics team some 20 yrs ago had the coach motivating them this way - that during every practice they had, they would do their rounds imagining how they would behave as and when they win in the next Olympics. And in their minds all the pictures that they could have was to be as the Champion ! So no one knew of this thing called losing and everyone just worked toward the win. And true enough, that's what they got !

So the Malaysian psycologists..... r u doing ur job well ?:mad:

The Malaysian shuttlers, have u ever believed that u can make it ?

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Didn't one article mention a Ganga Rao putting the request in for funds. I guess he should know about all the budgeting. The most disappointing match was LWW/CTF.

I think they have to do something called root cause analysis which looks at not only the immediate period before this tournament, but all the previous months preparation up to it. Atheletes are highly tuned individuals - were there problems in their build up that caused them to underperform? Was it right to send LCW to HK Open with only 1 week in M'sia to recover then off to Madrid? Was that nuritionist doing the job properly for optimum recovery from training?

Can't expect BAM to turn up the answers. Need an external person to audit the place.

China did really well on neutral ground.

11. Chu Liuxiang

Chu Liuxiang Regular Member

I think NSC is concerning how BAM spending the money and how should NSC explained to the Malaysian people on the money spent but came back with almost empty handed.
    It is good that BAM receive half a million Ringgit form NSC for WC2006 expenses. But I think they have overspent and did not really manage their expenses/spending wisely.
    For examples, why Malaysian players need to be in Madrid 10 days before the WC2006 starts ? Is 4 to 5 days earlier enough for the players to suit the environment, weather and recover from time difference ? Look at the Chinese team, they were not there so early but achieve a better result ( I mean, just comparing the MS and MD results with Malaysia without considering their ladies players performance)
    The next thing is too many unnecessary Malaysian guys are around in Madrid and BAM paid for their trip. This is a waste to BAM.
    It is all about too much money spent but with no expected return and someone need to answer to somebody.
    So, next time BAM better ask for less expenses and send only necessary players and coaches to oversea tournament.

12. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Ya..you have your point too..BAM should spend wisely the money that gathered by the NSC...Half million ringgit is definitely not a small sum..Sometimes i wonder is it just because of everything is too comfortable so the players take things for granted???Actually BAM provide the best facilities for all the players,they should cherish it..Come on,prove it to others that you all can do something..Don't keep letting us down..I really wish they can perform something well and is it the 10 days training in Madrid are totally useless???

13. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Spending a few days extra in Madrid is better than the idea of

spending Millions of ringgit in London for a sports Centre for Msian athletes

to acclimatise b4 participating in sports in Western countries.

Malaysians are very brilliant when they spend other people's money

but not so good whrn they have to put their money where their mouths are.

Till this day the meaning of the word "waste" and "productive'

is still alien to the local culture.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    This is true for the whole human kind. You only have to look at welfare programs. Needs somehow became luxuries. I won't be surprised if there was a large element of sightseeing (excursion?) in BAM's Madrid outing.

15. smashmouth

smashmouth Regular Member

banker
    Reading through this thread has given me the impression that badminton is deeply embeded in the Malaysian culture and psyche. I mean, you guys really take this sport very very seriously. Could it be that this seriousness may have put your own players under unnecessary pressure? What I'm saying is your players' fear of losing may have overcome their ability to win.

Here's something from an article I read about Peter Rasmussen in badmintonsite.com. PR it seems is a huge believer in the philosophy of Miyamoto Musashi, a master samurai from medieval Japan. Here's part of that article:

“A samurai had to fight duels in which a mistake would mean death, in which Hesitation itself could mean mutilation. When I first read Musashi, I asked myself how a samurai could possibly fight under such pressure. I realized that they had to come to peace with death before they could hope to live and applied that to my badminton.
    I had to come to peace with losing before I could give myself a chance of winning.”

Perhaps your players also need "to come to peace with losing" so they could start winning.

Here's the link to that article, in case you guys would want to read the whole thing http://www.badmintonsite.com/HallOfFame/HallOfFameCat.aspx?id=13

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    very good comparison smashmouth.
    we all know that we play better when under no pressure.(my golf swings are excellent on the driving range:))

the top winning pros know how to mentally control the pressure effect.
    a great example is how ronald susilo beat LD in athen olympic.
    your analogy from japanese samurai training is valid. By accepting defeat, the pressure is off. The main challenge is how to accept defeat (before playing) when u r surrounded by coaches and fans reminding that u must win;)
    samurai often act alone, they can meditate alone and has no cheerleaders:D

17. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Absolutely true. The fear of losing is definitely the cause of many losses. I think LCW and Hafiz go thru those syndromes very often.

18. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    So, basically we must rid our players of the "kiasu" attitude :)

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I hope this will be a true learning experience for the camp.

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Steering wheel problem

Agree with you on the need for root cause analysis (rca). Of course LCW has been overworked. He wasn't supposed to play HKO but had to when LD didn't enter KO. So he had to lose honourably in KO (and might I say TO) so he would still have enough energy to play LD in HKO final. One week makes a lot of difference to form .Although he did not play badly in WBC, he was not in top form. He must have felt it, hence he commented about his keener interest in Asiad.
    I think MAS players have a steering wheel problem. The engine is first class but the steering wheel needs to be fixed otherwise they'll go off course.They need to practise a 'What if...? situation,eg what if opponent change tactics...If they can adjust quickly enough and surprise opponents by changing their expected style of play,esp in the beginning, they won't get stuck like CTF/LWW who did not have a chance to play badminton as we know it.
    However, have to disagree with you about neutral ground. I thought Madrid would be like Athens but was I surprised by the Chinese turnout. That's LD country in Madrid! No, it certainly is not neutral ground. Denmark and England were drowned by China supporters. It's China Open.