Li yong Bo and china team

Discussion in 'World Championships 2006' started by taufik23, Sep 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andi_yh

andi_yh Regular Member

I haven't watch badminton at that time, really took home almost every titles? wow amazing, but still i don't like it if my country dominates the sports like china does now, i don't like so big domination, people will get bored, i wish some day badminton will be a real world competitive sports, where there are no country or even races dominate so big, i really confuse about badminton, how for badminton to become a mainstream sports :confused:

But, tennis is dominated by western people and it's a mainstream sports where media take so many attention to it, and the good player can win sports person of the year in sports awards like Laureus or espy, if badminton player can be nominated, players like the "unbeatable" Kim dong moon / Ra Kyung Min, etc. deserved some nomination :)

#21 andi_yh, Sep 23, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  2. TKG2609

TKG2609 Regular Member

we all hope just like u .... but unfortunately indonesia, korea n denmark has no talented young players now ...especially in WS n WD ....

3. woodenRacket

woodenRacket Regular Member

gentlemen, it is just a game. Lost is lost. No sour grape please.

4. TKG2609

TKG2609 Regular Member

maybe china can export some players to other countries .... me represent indonesia will take lindan ...hahahaha

5. cao ci dan

cao ci dan Regular Member

student
    plus ridiculous....don't tell me you're jealous with that!!
    and come on....Zhang Ning is old yet can still keep on winning...why wanna let her leave the court???

6. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Man I have to say you are kind of biased. Zhang Ning keeps playing partly because she wants to, and partly because other Chinese WS, except XXF, are really at least one level below her yet.

That said, I agree with you that Chinese players are so influenced by LYB that most of them are very arrogant, and sometimes almost ignorant. Once I heard Qin Yiyuan (former WD player, Olympic bronze in Sydney, a coach in team China now) commenting on TV and she said Wong Choonghann's way of hitting the shuttle is wrong and blah blah. I think that shows ignorance -- only what Chinese team, or more precisely, what LYB says is right, is right. And besides WCH's basic techniques come from Han Jian.

I also dislike Bao's protesting to the umpire. LCW showed his temper for just a few seconds and that's perfectly normal. In fact Lee calmed down quickly. I am kind of shocked that a good boy like Bao would do this. If this is a tactic to disturb LCW, I would be disgusted.

#26 ye333, Sep 23, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  7. Darth Andrianus

Darth Andrianus Regular Member

Student
    I agree with most of the posters here, the original comment is absolutely unfair and unnecessary. Firstly, psychological tactics are common everywhere, whether it's badminton or tennis or football or even allegedly the most gentlemanly game of all, cricket. Coaches will say all sorts of things from the sidelines and as the player at the brunt of it, you will simply have to leave it and play on and let the shuttle do the talking. The most IBF can do is to enforce some new regulation that coaches cannot 'distract' players in the middle of a rally or something along those lines.

Then, if China is good, they are good. There is very little the rest can do about it but work even harder to beat the chinese team. It would be wrong to single them out for unfair tactics just because they are a very successful team. And what do you mean by ZN is too old? As long as she can still win tournaments, she can play as long as she likes. It's sad that China has become so dominant, this makes the game somewhat boring, but again the rest of the world will just have to work very hard.

However, there is one thing I would like to say. I think IBF should be tougher with players and allow more interaction between players and media. They should make press conferences mandatory after matches like in tennis so journalists can find out players' reaction afterwards. Badminton cannot get more coverage in the papers if players refuse to talk. For the case of Taufik, he really should be punished for his behaviour. These comments about IBF are inspired by the article below from The Jakarta Post:

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Taufik must learn to be a true champion[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Primastuti Handayani, The Jakarta Post, Madrid[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]You win some, you lose some, so they say. But sports does not follow the formulaic, unbending rules of a math calculation in determining winners and losers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Everybody involved -- athletes, coaches, officials, referees and spectators -- must realize that sports also teach important values, not only about sportsmanship but also teamwork and honorable conduct[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] There are many regulations that athletes must follow, from the rules of the game to those governing doping.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Badminton is nowhere near as strict as tennis in enforcing professional requirements of its players. There is no fine if a player refuses to attend a press conference; the sport's ruling body, the International Badminton Federation, does not make press conferences mandatory for players.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] At the ongoing World Badminton Championships, men's defending champion Taufik Hidayat vanished after losing to Chen Hong of China 21-14, 18-21, 19-21, to the disappointment of waiting journalists.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] He simply ignored the notice posted on the wall that all players are required to spare 10 minutes for a press conference.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "I didn't run away from the press conference. I was in the locker room and waited for 15 minutes but nobody (from the IBF) told me that I had a press conference to attend. So I went back to the hotel," he said Friday.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] He is not alone though. After briefing Chinese media, Chen Hong refused the request from non-Chinese speaking journalists for an interview, simply saying: "I still have to play tomorrow".[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Well, tomorrow is another day, Chen.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Non-Chinese speaking journalists were at the mercy of their Chinese peers to obtain a few indirect quotes.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] These were not incidents that sent shockwaves through the sport, but they are notable all the same.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Attending a press conference, however difficult it may be, is the athlete's opportunity to provide accountability about his or her performance.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Being a champion doesn't stop at accepting trophies on the podium. Gifted athletes are expected to set an example to the public.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] They learn discipline, hard work, teamwork and respect in training. That is why, after every match, players are expected to shake hands, honoring the winner, the loser and the referees. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] That is why fans applaud them for their hard work, not just for who comes out on top according to the score. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Taufik was already in the spotlight for his misconduct at the Hong Kong Open earlier this month, when he walked off the court when the match was only three minutes old. Although he apologized, his fate will be decided by the IBF on Saturday. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Taufik argues that he wanted to teach the IBF a lesson, that it should also review its rules and implementation of them. But the unexplained default from an international tournament is a bad precedent for others. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Already known as temperamental, it further shows his immaturity and unpreparedness to be a true champion, and do all that is required to hold that esteemed title. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Taufik could learn from men's doubles great Rexy Mainaky, now coaching Malaysian doubles, a player he says he admires. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Rexy, a two-time world champion with partner Ricky Soebadgja and 1996 Olympic gold medalist, gained respect from his teammates and fellow shuttlers worldwide because of his attitude. He once said that athletes were not celebrities and the two live in a completely different world. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "Athletes have to be disciplined. Only in that way can we be successful. It's nonsense if athletes train properly in the morning if the night before they stayed out late clubbing," he said in an interview in 2000. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] It was not mere words. As the holder of most titles except for the Southeast Asian Games, Rexy proved his discipline also helped him become a good coach, taking England to its first Olympic bronze medal in badminton. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Taufik can also learn from Hendrawan, the 2001 world champion and 2000 Olympics silver medalist. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "I realize that I am less talented compared to Taufik. That's why I have to train harder than he does," he once said. "Taufik is the world's best natural player. His backhand smash is unbeatable and can't be imitated. It's his gift." [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] These players' comments hopefully will be a wake-up call for Taufik to change his behavior. Instead of providing headlines for gossip shows and tabloids for his active "social life", he must focus more on his achievements on the court. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Now 25, Taufik still has a chance to change his ways, and leave an enduring legacy in the game. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] With his eyes set on the gold medal at the 2006 Asian Games in Doha from Dec. 1-15, Taufik has about three months to prepare. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "My next target is the Japan Open and the Asian Games. Next year for the Super Series, I will have to improve my rankings," he said, referring to the tournament schedule with higher prize money starting from US$200,000. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] But he will only be able to do that if the IBF does not ban him during that period. Then he would be forced to regret the errors of his ways.[/FONT]

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic...My quick comments on this

Darth Andrianus, nice find and sorry for snipping the rest of post for brevity..
    hmm, personally Taufik will be Taufik. He will be hard to change, esp. his emotional and temperamental personalities.
    On whether Taufik will be able to play in the AG or JO, i haven't find out his "ban" status yet. But even if he's able to compete again, and even with 3 months to prepare, i will be very surprised if he goes in there and win those tournaments. And on his words that his "next goal for next yr is the Super Series and have to improve on his rankings", i personally don't believe his words. If IBF doesn't "ban" him and still let him play, he might be "motivated" to train and compete, but it will be for a short term..:rolleyes: ;) :p

9. hydrocyanic

hydrocyanic Regular Member

wasting my time
    if zhang ning still wins at 50 or 60, it will be awesome anyways

your comment is simply childish and without thoughts

10. XiaoQing

XiaoQing Regular Member

11. Angelou

Angelou Regular Member

Yeah, I also found Zhang Ning's comment to be really out of place and rather insulting. Jens and Martin are in their early 30's and I don't get bored seeing them play. (quite the hilarious pairing if you ask me XD). On another note, I hear that chinese players train very very hard to gain the fitness and skill that they possess. If they give away games, wouldn't that be sad for them and the sport? next thing you will hear would be that the chinese are purposely losing games to make other countries feel good. China is setting the standard in badminton and people live up to it. ie Camilla Martin, Peter Gade. And I won't comment on Bao's performace, b/c I haven't seen anything XD

12. dreamloverhsy

dreamloverhsy Regular Member

student
    I totaly agree with what taufiq said in this paragraph. Well, Who doesn't hope to watch a fair game in badminton. When i first saw the news about what the China coach did i feel very shocked! i mean, LCW is a normal human being also, of cause he will get distracted by what he said. It's really over the limits. About players being ego, well i can say most of them are friends among themself. Even LCW said he and the china players are "Friends" and NOT enemy. We don't know them like LCW do and badminton players are athletics and not entertainers that sing for you on the TV. As their job is to serve the country so they should be well train with dicipline on court. So maybe thats why we think they are 'ego'.

I totaly give my respect to Zhang Ning as she is one of the greatest women players in the badminton field. Badminton is her life so i think she also hope to contribute as long as she still can for her country. Nothing wrong with that.

Well, as everyone know China players have very good mentality compared to other players. If Malaysia want to win the title we have win with the strengh we have. I'm not saying we don't have the power to win it, but it's juz not as good as what they have. It's useless to only be strong when you are playing in your own country. Malaysians player may work really hard for the game but i think China work 2-3 times more than that.

I'm a Malaysian supporter but it's really hard to support them with the results they have now. Even how much we support them in the end it still depend on themself whether they can work it out anot. But i still think IBF should eliminate the 'human line judging' to make sure there is no bias. Peace!

13. other

other Regular Member

Student
    I suppose the people who are against "psychological tricks" don't watch football then?

"ref...stop the fans from singing that i'm crap" :crying:

anyway....don't feed the troll :D

I think all this patriotism is getting overboard. If you ask any British badminton follower, they would not say "oh we have dominated the XD in this WC, we should have let the Thais win since they are not really strong in the other, expect MS but Boonsak got knocked out" "and isn't anthony clark greedy...he should have really let rasmussen and paaske go to the final for old times sake"

nor would they say "oh no its so boring, England vs England...both the pairs are the same i don't care who wins"

Of course its fun to watch if your countryman beats a player from another country (especially a "rival") but are u watching the badminton and the amazing skills, or just the outcome, and waiting for the bragging rights......we dominated this tournament, our players are soo good etc etc

anyway, readind the original post made me laugh so that's a good thing :D

14. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Man as I said in some other threads, badminton is still some kind of a gentleman sport. So do not bring in sports like football. Otherwise one can refer to sports like UFC and then it's perfectly OK if LYB really breaks LCW's legs.

15. badcliq

badcliq Regular Member

As long as the game is played fairly, i don't really mind who wins....though personally i hope m'sian....

Zhang Ning is cool la ok....good attitude.....1st class player...wat's wrong with her playing? She feel she can still play to 2008 for the olympics, then let her play lor...it's like Michael Schumacher...race until he thinks he has to stop, which is next year....

16. zydoce

zydoce Regular Member

Student
    I'm on your side. They should stop comparing badminton with other sport. In my opinion, I'm totally disagree what've LYB did. :mad: He should stop making any noise and let other player and also China's player play in peace. Psychology is good, but that's not the right way to do it. IBF should stop coach making any noise disturbing other players to play well. We must bear in mind, we are human being, not machine. Of course as a normal person, we'll lose our focus at least a little bit. I've never seen LCW throw his racket before. Have you? This shown that LCW was very upset with what've happened. Try imagine that you're in match, then your opponent's coach shouting "Break his legs !", what'll you do?

17. daryl62

daryl62 Regular Member

To say something like that abt Zhang Ning is totally unfair. I agreed with Jessica and Bresis.

To be and remain world No.1 does not come easy. Probably the other players are not working hard enough to keep up. Why should she gave up for the other player!!! Remember she is here the hard way. I will support any player as long as they are good and exciting to watch. I agree a lot of chinese player is not good for the game but they are the best now. Let hope up and coming malaysian men :p and give some tough competition. Indonesia need a longer time (If you are an indonesian fan :crying: ) danish men too old:crying: . SK no good player:crying:. Open yr heart men.

18. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Sir Alex is much better than LYB. But give credits to the Chinese players. They did well in this WC for sure. I don't agree ZN being poor. She is treated like a star back in China. She has definately contributed greatly in the Badminton Arena. Definately a future hall of Famer. She is a very nice person and witty as well. I'm going to miss to see "big sister" playing badminton one day.

19. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I think we can learn something from countires like

England, Germany and Holland who have made major inroads into the sport

instead of belly aching and making excuses.

20. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I watched a short video a few years ago about how Chinese players were trained. The coached kept smashing the bird in front of the net and Gao Ling and Zhang Jun dive for every smash at least for 30 minutes. Their training is very likely military training. No doubt Taufik has more talent than Lin Dan. I believe if Taufik can also train like that, he will certainly be unbeatable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.