It’s a Hello from me

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by morewood, Sep 13, 2006.

1. morewood

morewood Regular Member

High folks, been here a couple of days and haven said hello yet.
    About me,
    33 year old man, playing for about 25 years (mum and dad both played), played as a youth in a few county matches and some inter school tournaments, gave up short term after damaging my wrist in a none Badminton accident for a couple of years.

Now play socially at a club level twice a week, have been approached by several league teams to play for them but most seem to fold after a short period of time, the league system round where I live is patchy to say the least.

As a player I know my weaknesses, (my knees) and the fact that I am carrying a little more weight than I should but unforunatley I cant afford the extra time at this moment to do much about either.

Have in the last two years taken over a junior section at a local club where I try my best to instil some discipline into a bunch of teenagers who are all to easily distracted. Actually have one or two juniors who could take it a lot further than just club players should they wish but I am not 100% sure of there commitment.

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Welcome to BadmintonForum, morewood :D

Instilling discipline into teenagers?! Tall order. Looking forward to your posts.

-dave

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Welcome to BCBF :) Feel Free At Home!

4. morewood

morewood Regular Member

There not that bad to be honest, the cocky ones (lads) can easily be taken down a peg or two, team them against one of the regular ladies a watch them get run ragged. Either that or I play against them with a newbie, a few smashes at the body and they soon start to concentrate again.

Teaching the youngsters is far easier than teaching an adult beginner as at least when you demonstrate what works and doesn’t work to kids they tend to try to replicate it.

We have for example a 26 year old whose been playing for 3 months who still refuses to hold the racquet correctly so whenever he tries to lift the shuttle he swings through it. Everyone tells him 4 or more times a game what has doing wrong, (even show him from time to time) but by the next shot the grips back to where it was.

5. nelsonkong

nelsonkong Regular Member

Quantity Surveyor
    welcome to BC forum and have fun. see ya around