GGBC on Channel 7 TV, 8/22 3pm

Discussion in 'Golden Gate Badminton Club ( GGBC ) (CLOSED)' started by kwun, Aug 21, 2006.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    from GGBC:

Mike Shumann, the Anchor of an afternoon ABC Channel 7 local interest program, called VIEW OF THE BAY, called GGBC yesterday to tell us we will be featured on his program on Channel 7 tomorrow August 22nd, 2006, Tuesday at 3:00PM. A few of our Lady members who play in the afternoon will be featured on the program too, as well as an exclusive interview with Mike Yang.

Hope you can all find time to watch it, and if anyone will record it, hope you guys can make us a copy!! We are very excited that GGBC can generate so much interest in Badminton in the Bay Area!

Yo HO!!! GG Management!

2. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Kwun good poster

Oh Kwun THAT WAS FAST!! I was just about to post ne.... You are much more responsible in our site than GG people. OOPS... he he...

GG Sally:p :D

3. MidBadder

MidBadder Regular Member

Engineer
  4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    sad to say, i think the reporting was kind of disappointing. there are some old ladies playing with that so call fitness reporter. and Mike was supposed to have given a nice on-camera interview but they decided not to show it.

i'd much rather have the reporter reporting on the sideline and showing a nice A level match going on at the background.

as it currently stands, it doesn't give the sport much credit as the fastest racket sport in the world.

but i guess that's still better than nothing as that give some media exposure to badminton...

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Its up to the editors. Can't complain much about it. anyway its free publicity. :) like what you said.. its better than nothing.. things can improve.

6. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Oh my god.

bad ... min ... TON

not

bad ... min ... UHHNT!

I cringe, I cringe!

On a lighter note, that lady player the interviewer was playing against in the first clip, looks a lot like Julie from VRC.

-dave

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Well they actually did a good job comparing Badminton to other sports. Its not as easy at it seems.

8. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

I watched the news on YouTube, and I guess their angle is 'anyone can play badminton, and it's fun.' b/c they want to talk about fitness, and showing off fantastic technique doesn't fit into that (if it looks difficult, couch potatoes don't want to try, b/c they will suck, feel bad, and give up).

I do get bothered about one misinformation: why badminton is played indoors. They attribute it to Asians don't want to get under sun (maybe true, but irrelevant), and this comes from a fitness reporter. More education is needed.

Mostly Asians playing it may also create an image problem. Can we get Tom Cruise or Madonna to play? ;)

If we want to promote badminton in US, try finding some celebrity that love playing and talking about it, or get it featured in Hollywood movie in an interesting way, or create some fun video game based on badminton.

Sponsorship is a big problem in US. You can't get college scholarship playing badminton, nor go pro for a living. These are not true for football, baseball, basketball, or even tennis and golf.

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yeap, it's Julie and friends, all from Vancouver :D :D :D. We see Helen, John and Monica there too. They are all VRC members.

Bereetta? The GGBC tourney sponsor was interviewed.

Darn, our group left SF early or else catch the TV reporter.

#9 Pete LSD, Sep 8, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  10. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

ABC View of the Bay

OF course we were excited that ABC would call Mike and ask for an interview to promote badminton. Actually the host was very complying and nice but he did tell us that for the time slot, it was a "women's program". He did write and call Mike many times to apologise for the poor reporting which actually was good reporting but someone was right, the Editor was quite young and didn't have much experience so after it aired the host was kind of :eek: horrified especially with the quite long interview he had with Mike and the very enjoyable time he had hitting with Mike, but somehow that Editor just cut off all the important parts. Mike Shumann did call Mike several times to apologise and said they got very good feedback for the piece and Mike even graciously introduced all the other badminton clubs to him as well.

BUT.. still I must edit your comment... those "old" ladies were a bunch of our precious and exhilarating "young" lady members who are extremely enthusiastic about badminton and actually persuaded many of their young Sons or juniors to take up badminton and they are actually quite rambunctious and far from old! I hope they won't read that comment ha ha! :p Anyways, they are not the regular ladies of our generation... They are KOOL... :cool:

So while ABC couldn't quite catch the essence of badminton per se.. GGBC is still doing much work to try to create the excitement and don't worry Mike has got many plans down the line so stay tuned for the next announcement! Thanks guys!

GG SA

#10 GGsally, Sep 9, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2006