Inconsistency?!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by iFinale, Aug 31, 2006.

1. iFinale

iFinale Regular Member

Student
    For some days... say i've been playing at least 2 - 3 days a week, i can play with my top form, my clears go to the baseline, my smashes feel good with appropriate timing....

but then if i haven't been playing for a week... it just feels that i can't really hit the shuttle? even for normal clears, i can't reach the baseline and the pronation of my forearm just doesn't seem that natural anymore... cos the instantaneous pronation of the forearm right before impact produces the power right? but then i just can't get the timing right and it feels like i'm slicing the shuttle more than hitting it square on the sweet spot... also my smashes just don't really work either, i can't get enough power, can't get the timing right, and when i jump smash i just feel like i'm having an awkward stroke, which isn't smooth enough....

i was wondering should i be bothered? or should i just say that it's a lack of form and it'll get better as i play more and get used to all of my strokes?

p.s. i dunno whether this makes a difference or not but i was using a nanospeed at 24lbs originally and everything felt nice, then the strings snap and since i'm waiting for it to be re-strung, im using another yonex racket at around 20 - 21lbs... would this account for my poor performance as of late?

2. tonyw85

tonyw85 Regular Member

Happens to me all the time. A while back, for 2 weeks I played 5 days a week, and towards the end of that, I played some of my best games. A few weeks later, I took a week off, and when I played again, I could barely hit the bird. Maybe doing more drills and having proper form ingrained in your mind would help, but taking time off would definately be detrimental to your game.

3. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    They say once you know how to ride a bicycle you will not forget it the rest of your life. But in badminton it's a bit different you see. In American Idol, they call it the X Factor. In top model they call it the wow factor. In badminton, they call it 'The Touch' factor.

4. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    It can be due to a lack of experience. Im starting to get to the stage now where If i dont play for a week, im still on good form. But its taking me 5 years and lot of practice for this!! Even last year if I didnt play for even 4/5 days, i found me touch was lacking so to speak but not no more. I still find thou with tiredness, I still have this problem.

Jus keep playing and ur racket cud be an issue. Its new and cud be slightly longer or shorter than ur current 1 which will of course effect timing. The string tension shudnt effect much cause ur still having to hit the same shot on the strings.