using two overgrips on a g5?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by yoyomonkey, Aug 16, 2006.

1. yoyomonkey

yoyomonkey Regular Member

So i have a g5 racket and want to make it bigger, is it a good idea to use 2 yonex overgrips. My friend tried it and said it destroy the feel of the mp99. I like it, it very soft.

2. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Just add a new grip on top of the factory grip. If you still need an overgrip, then you can add just one.

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Another option is to take out the origional grip. Get a tennis replacement grip (they are same, it just tennis is longer than badminton). When you put on the new replacement grip, overlap the grip a lot to create thicker grip.
    Yoyo, your friend is right, by useing 2 over grips, it takes out a lot of feed back from the racquet. IMHO, thicker the grip, less feed back you get. But if you are a smasher and don't care too much about the feeling (not "You Lost that Lovin' Feeling") then double over grip it.

4. yoyomonkey

silent,
    I love the way the two overgrips feel. Very soft and very nice on the hand. I'm just not sure whether having ~1mm of cushion is a good idea. Maybe i'll get g4 racket next time

5. evolution-Fung

evolution-Fung Regular Member

Clothing
    i have like 1 over grip, then one actual grip on it.......i use to have an over grip over the wood then a towel grip over it....then i switched to having 2 overgrips, but it was still too wooody so i added another one....and then sooner i added another one lol so i have 4 overgrips haahah....they are crappy overgrips tho, i am investing in good grips...because these i got from buying my fake rackets in china.....and the grips suck and loose colour onto my hand.......anyways is putting so many overgrips on it a bad idea? does it affect the play?

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If 2 layers of grips provide the comfort you need, and you don't suffer significant lost in performance (e.g. feeling), then, I don't see why not. It's you to use the racket, whatever comes out good for you, that's all it counts. ;)

7. yoyomonkey

it seems like a waste of overgrips :)

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    buy a thicker over grip...

9. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    I use a G5 racket with 2 yonex supergraps over the original grip.. it feels nice. I like the feel a bit better than 1 supergrap, and I only have to replace the top one anyway, so it doesn't waste that much overgrip. I don't lose a lot of feel when I use it, maybe it's because I'm a smasher, but that's besides the point.

I think w/e you feel best with, stick with it. what others say don't matter

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The wooden hold (handle) is an 8-sided design to help you choose the appropriate grip different strokes require. Using any overgrip, or even worse with more overgrips, will reduce this towards a round grip. If you play with a round grip or one that is close to it, how can you play serious badminton? The golden rule is to choose a racquet with an appropriate grip size that suits you and make sure that any subsequent change of grip requires that you strip the old grip completely and replace with a new replacement grip. Use of overgrip is like using a bandaid for a mistake made when buying a wrong size grip racquet.

11. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

Maybe you can replace the original grip with the Prince DuraTac replacement grip which is quite thick. Works for me and won't destroy the feel.

12. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    I don't know about you, but I find that a G5 with overgrip feels much better than G4 with original grip, or any replacement grip I can find to put on a G4 racket. Replacing an overgrip also seems more cost-effective and/or convenient than replacing original grip.

When I do two layers of supergrap, I only overlap about 2/5 of the preceeding layer, and the bevels are more amplified. The soft feel also is nice.

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Nonsense :rolleyes:

Plenty of professionals have a "round" grip. Are they not playing "serious badminton"?

Equipment choice is about personal preference. Many players actually prefer a grip without obvious bevels.

Just as you argue that a sharply beveled handle makes it easy to find the main grips, I can argue that this makes it difficult to make subtle adjustments between the main grips. At a high level of play, grips must be adaptable to the exact position of the shuttle.

Ultimately, it comes down to what the player prefers.

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If whatever you stated are true, then I guess pretty much all the pros are "not serious", or "keep making mistakes". Almost all of the pros I saw, use either towel or overgrips. Therefore, since they don't just grip the original grip right on, all of them are just not smart enough to know what they are looking for??? :eek: :cool:

15. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I am sorry, who was that guy using MP99 in the picture above with towergrip? When you use towergrip, there is no corner...
    Also, often you can only get 1 grip size in one country. Example, all ns racquets with US code are G4. What should we do in this case if we want a ns racquet? Should I cut off my finger to fit the handle? I think not.

16. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

I've found that adding one "layer" of 1mm thick overgrip on top of the original grip makes my 3U AT500 too heavy. What I usually do when I wrap on an overgrip is to fold the grip on one side, about 3 to 4 mm so that it becomes 2 layers on one side, and when I wrap the grip onto the handle, have the 2 layer part overlap onto the 1 layer grip. So I have bevels of 3 layer, and the rest is just 1 layer.

What I've done now is remove the original grip, and I've also taken the butt cap off, then remove the plastic disc inside the handle, put the butt cap on, and wrap plastic wrap on the handle, and wrap on the overgrip. The weight is now perfect, even if it may now be in the 4U range.

If you prefer to keep your MP99 in the same weight category after adding 2 overgrips, you can also consider removing the original grip, as well the plastic disc inside the handle, if there is one in the MP99.

17. evolution-Fung

evolution-Fung Regular Member

Clothing
    i must say my mp-99 2u is very head heavy....almost can be compared to the amt series i dont know why it is hard to use, because it is so heavy.......theirfore the many grips actually balance the total weight of the racket making the swing more easy, but i assume that less power is packed....because of the racket design u are ruining when u add more grips and changing the balance

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If round handles are such a good thing, who knows if Yonex and other manufacturers might one day change over to round handles. It could be one size-fits-all, with a small round G5 handle plus multiple layers of overgrip to make it any size from G2 to G5. Then round grips would force us to have ultra senstive touch that our racquet hand can know instinctively how and where to grip the handle correctly, to ensure we don't hit the shuttle edgewise.

19. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    with all due respect, you haven't answered any of the questions people asked about what you said. Almost all players I've seen (professional and otherwise) use some kind of overgrip.

other than that, a G5 grip racket overgripped to a G2 size would be inconveniently heavy.

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Many professional players use towel grip. I believe they take the place of the original grip. I myself use towel grip on some of my racquets, over the bare wooden handle, and it has more feel, and you can still feel the 8 sides, including the bevels for backhand shots that are hit from mid-court. Towel grips have an adhesive on one side, which means it is a replacement grip. Overgrips are not adhesive-backed.
    Remember, replacement grips are adhesive-backed, overgrips have non.