How fit are you? What is your BPM?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by adelina76, Jul 7, 2002.

?

What is your Resting heart rate (bpm)?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2002.
  1. 50 and below - Super fit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 50-59 - Very fit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 60-69 - Above average fitness

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 70-79 - Average fitness

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 80-89 - Slightly below average fitness

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 90-99 - Quite unfit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 100 and above - Very unfit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    My BMI is 17. For the beep test, I scored level 9 ( about a month ago). And as of now, my heart rate is 70 :eek:. Wow... I'm so unfit! ( got to workout more!!)

2. xflubb

xflubb Regular Member

5'10" 210lbs resting bpm = 43

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I remind everyone that resting heart rate is an unreliable indicator of fitness.

Although resting heart rate decreases with aerobic conditioning, it is also heavily influenced by genetic traits. You cannot meaningfully compare two athletes by their resting heart rates. Often the fitter athlete of the two will have a higher resting heart rate.

Resting heart rate is more meaningful as a broad measure of change in your fitness. It remains inexact, but if your resting heart rate decreases then your aerobic fitness has increased.

Also, please note that your resting heart rate is, by definition, the lowest rate at which your heart can beat in normal conditions (i.e. not drugged or deeply unconscious). For an accurate measure, you need to take your heart rate when you are completely at rest. This means that you should be lying down, still and relaxed for at least 20 minutes.

Many people do not measure their resting heart rates correctly, and come up with much higher numbers. Even if you are slightly active -- sitting in a chair, for example -- it will raise your heart rate.

#63 Gollum, Apr 4, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  4. wirre

wirre Regular Member

I agree, resting heart rate shouldn't be used to compare ones fitness against any other, only in relation to yourself just as Gollum describes. At least it is quite worthless to call a differance between persons with 50 bpm and 60 bpm. A differance of at least 25-30 bpm , like 50 bpm vs 80 bpm might be of more importance.

But for those of us who use to excersise a little (some more some less...) I find it more interesting to know for how long you can perform when passing the lactic acid threashold. This was the secret of former world no1 in biathlon, Magdalena Forsberg. She neither had the lowest heart rate nor the highest lung capacity. But she could work longer than anyone else after passing into the red zone when lactic acid started to build up. IOW perform longer close to her max capacity.

If you've seen TDF, Giro or Vuelta you know that they use to monitor some cyclists puls. Then you'll know what I'm talking about.

/mats

5. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I think the last two posts are the most accurate so far: you can't use BPM to measure yourself against OTHER people, only yourself. If your BPM changes over time, then it's a measure of the change in your own fitness.

But different people can have different BPMs, regardless of their fitness. Lots of factors can come into it, genetics, body shape/mass, etc.

Also, having too low a BPM can be dangerous - think of a car stalling because it's not getting enough fuel/air into the engine.

I did a test at a medical school when I was 18 where you measure your BPM with a heart monitor and also measure your oxygen/CO2 levels (big gas mask), then do sprints for 15 minutes and measure again. They had one of those big machines with the slow-rolling paper and a dozen little needles zigzagging all over the place. This measures the RATE of recovery, the speed with which your BPM returns to normal after exercise - this is the key measure of fitness. For atheletes, and certainly for a sport like badminton, you want the highest possible rate of recovery so you can keep going in long matches.

6. carlos

carlos Regular Member

Local Government Pleb
    Fitness can be derived from heart rates. But it is the rate at which your heart rate slows down that is important. Not the resting heart rate.

And again - it is only comparative against other people.

7. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    I'm 17 and my resting BPM is 80+.
    am I unfit? or am I just young?

8. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    Also take into consideration people that live at altitude will have a lower heart rate naturally.

Also depends on your body type, and numerous other factors.

9. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

For football there is an important physical training test known as the combine - where they measure such things as the 40 yard dash, various running drills, the strength endurance for bench pressing 225 lbs, vertical jump, etc. This is something that'll be done prior to, let's say, the entry draft.

Apparently, of those tests the best indicator of future performance is the vertical jump - because it is a measurement of raw explosiveness that requires speed in addition to strength.

What do you think would be an appropriate set of combine tests for badminton players? Certainly some test of endurance might be appropriate, but the difficulty is that most of these tests are done using steady, cyclical movements that are quite different from the interval-timed, multi-directional nature of badminton.

10. sanjay

sanjay Regular Member

to accurately measure one's fitness, you need to measure the 3 S's:

Strength
    Stamina
    Suppleness

Ive got good stamina as i go jog 8km every other day.
    Ive could probably use a bit more strength to give me that little bit more oomph on my smashes.
    My suppleness is only average, still trying to do the splits.

11. Michael K

Michael K New Member

Student
    Back playing singles so down to 52bpm hopefully by the mid season should be sub 50

12. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    are u sure this works? i got around 50 and i cant even last until 6-6 in a singles game.

13. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

i think it works quite well, therre are other factors though if you are talking about a game. if your a very inefficient player (not saying you are) then you will get tired faster.

14. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    I just tried again and I got 72

I find that pretty weird, because personally I think my fitness level is quite good.

15. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    I know it isn't too accurate because I just got slightly below and then slightly above 'normal' fitnesss. It is somewhat a generalisation from the start - how does one measure 'normal' fitness?

BTW I probably am of 'normal' fitness and everyone else I train with is better :) I get to play catch-up 'cus I got fat playing cricket.

16. yoyomonkey

yoyomonkey Regular Member

60bpm, i play a lot of badminton lately like almost every day for 2 weeks

17. PandaLord

PandaLord Regular Member

Student
    I thought that higher pulse means healthier player since more oxygen is needed by them for their muscles to breathe and recover ?

In any case, im average it seems :( But i dont feel like i am. I can handle game after game of single/doubles every time i play, and they're not light games at that.

18. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

It is a measure of how efficient is your circulatory system, especially your heart. The more powerful your heart, the more blood it can pump through your body per beat and thus it can provide sufficient oxygen to the body at lower rate.

Endurance runners have very low heart rate, usually around 40. Elite runners with below 40 heart rate is quite common. That is why they can run as easily as we walk!

19. Dandirom

Dandirom Regular Member

Computer Related
    60 bpm, more or less. I usually play 4hrs a day, 5 days a week -- I started playing badminton just over a year ago and 60 bpm is an improvement 'coz I was usually in the high 70's.

20. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Isn't it true that the older you are, the lower your BPM is?

So even though someone older has a lower BPM, it doesn't necessarily mean that he is fitter than someone in their twenties and has a higher BPM.:confused: