Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龍大)

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by taufik_lin16, Jul 14, 2006.

1. event

event Regular Member

This article gives Lee the epithet Park Joo Bong II. It seems to be attributing to him this quote:

“한국 배드민턴의 미래, 내 손안에 있다!”

which means: "The future of Korean badminton is in my hands!" That seems pretty cocky and it doesn't give any context for this. I think they are being sloppy and putting words in his mouth. Near the end of the article, he says "At this point I don't have enough experience so the Asian Games in Doha in December will be difficult but if I continue to improve at this rate, I think I can win gold at the 2008 Olympics".

2. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    I like his style a lot, wonder who his influences and coaches are.

3. event

event Regular Member

Well, in this article, he is pictured with Park Joo Bong and he is quoted as saying "I want to become a great player like Coach Park Joo Bong." It also mentions that Park graduated from an agricultural high school in Jeonju. That is in North Jeolla Province. Lee is in his last year at the tech high school in the fairly rural Hwasun in South Jeolla. I wonder whether the two feel a connection in background there. It is often said that people from Jeolla Province suffered a fair bit of discrimination during the 38 years when most of the elite (including 4 presidents in a row) hailed from Gyeongsang province. The tide finally started to turn when a Jeolla native won the presidency in '98.

As for coaches, he must be coached by Malaysia's Tan Kim Her on the national team and at the high school, the two coaches are Gong Hyung-sung(don't know him) and, coincidentally, Jeong Myung-hee, who might be familiar to some of you as Park Joo-bong's mixed doubles partner back in the day. She and Park won 2 world championships and 4 All England titles together.

#23 event, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  4. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

I read from the star online that he was spotted and brought to the national squad by Tan Kim Her.

5. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    Here's a quote from the Star Online August 5 2006:

One of Kim Her's career highlights is that he spotted young Lee Yong-dae during a selection trials in a school at Kwangju.

The 18-year-old now forms a lethal partnerships with 24-year-old Jae Jung-sung. The duo are currently ranked fifth in the world and are seen as among the title contenders at this year's World Championships to be held in Madrid from Sept 18-24.

6. event

event Regular Member

I have no reason to doubt that Tan Kim Her was instrumental in getting Lee Yong-dae the partner and the experience he needed to excel internationally, but some of the facts here are a little off. Kim Her started in Korea in 2005 according to this posted article and here is the excerpt:

Kim Her, a former national player, accepted the Korea BA’s offer to train their men’s doubles pairs in January 2005.

However, Lee has been on the national team since 2004 and even won mixed doubles bronze for Korea at the French Open in March, '04. Lee was already firmly on the radar in Korean badminton in 2004 and even earlier. He played in 6 international junior tournaments in 2003 and 2004 including the World Junior championships in '04 where he won a silver and a bronze in men's and mixed doubles respectively.
    [​IMG]

7. YeLLoWind

YeLLoWind Regular Member

Unemployment ... *Hopely ended soon*
    happy

i'm still feel happy b'coz of the picture of Yong dae
    oh ya guyz
    i wanna know evryone who is love yong dae too.
    so plizzzz visit my friendster
    on
    http://www.friendster.com/profiles/yellowinda
    plizz add me as ur friends

thankz

8. event

event Regular Member

Lee Yong-dae was recently chosen as the July MVP (outstanding athlete) by one of the sports papers here, Sports Chosun. Those papers are pretty seedy but they are mostly about sports so I guess it's a kind of honour.
    [​IMG]

This is the one mentioned earlier where he is with Park Joo Bong.
    [​IMG]

#28 event, Aug 7, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  9. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    I'd prefer it if they called him PJB3 or something, because i thought KDM game was very similar to PJB's.

10. YeLLoWind

YeLLoWind Regular Member

Unemployment ... *Hopely ended soon*
    thankz event

event, thanks 4 ur information bout Lee Yong Dae....
    but i can't read the article b'coz u know, that was a korean word, hikz hikz.... event, i wanna know how is Lee Yong Dae in korean letter????
    by the way this picture make me jelous
    How Lucky Ha jung Eun is.

Attached Files:

11. event

event Regular Member

His name in Korean is 이용대.

If your computer doesn't handle the Korean fonts, let me know.

12. event

event Regular Member

Here is a picture of the spelling.[​IMG]

13. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Wah... can't see his name in Korean... it shows square, square and square...

Anyway, he's really handsome... and so young.

14. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

Huum .. yannie, are you going to betray Koo kien keat and cai yun for Lee yong dae ?!! ahahahha
    It's truue that Lee yong dae is defenitely the player to watch in maybe 2 years, he's soo talented, only 17 and already in the top 5 , i'm so jealouuus ahaha whyy i'm noot talented liike him ahhaha

15. yannie

yannie Regular Member

tarek... :mad: mad at u now!!! where did u get the kkk and cy idea from... :eek: anyway, dont wanna go off-topic... lee yong dae is soooo talented... wish he'll have a bright future.

16. event

event Regular Member

It should show up this time.

Attached Files:

17. yannie

yannie Regular Member

aight, can see now, thanks event. =)

18. seawell

seawell Regular Member

Two Badminton Stars, Two Generations

[​IMG]

“Hi, Mr. Park.”

“You are learning fast. Work harder.”

Lee Yong-dae, 18, of Hwasun Technical High School, is called the “second Park Ju-bong” for his promising career as a badminton player. There are several similarities between him and Park Ju-bong, 42, who used to be a top shuttlecock player and is currently coaching Japan’s national badminton team. First of all, they were born under the same zodiac sign, dragon, with 24 year age difference.

Lee has played badminton for ten years since he first grabbed a racket when he was a 2nd grader in 1996. Park became a player in his 4th grade year. They both received early educations.

Lee won the national championship five times when he was a 5th grader and joined the national team in his 9th grade year. Park was a 10th grader when he was selected to play for the national team.

Lee won the German Open this January to become the second high school student champion after Park, and became a champion in the Thai Open for the second time last month.

Park has special affection for Lee who is tracing the same career path like his shadow. With his Japanese team playing in the Korean Open, which started on August 21 at Jangchung Stadium in Seoul, he did not hesitate to lavish his advice on Lee.

Park spoke highly of him, saying, “Yong-dae is smart, and his play is now on the highest level. Compared to last year, he has more power and will get stronger. I have high expectations.”

He also added his advice, “Do not hurry up for the final smash. Nice play is OK, but it is important to make points without a mistake.”

His advice is that too aggressive play can increase physical pressure and put one in danger when his shot is blocked.

Park won the world championship seven times and a gold medal in the Olympics.

Lee, whose name means “big dragon,” dreams of surpassing the towering career of Park. He appreciates Park’s advice.

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I think he will have alot of female fans hehhe..

20. deROSE

deROSE Regular Member

student
    hmmm..he reminds me of a national teenage swimmer...