PDA fones

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by JChen99, Jul 22, 2006.

1. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Hi Im wondering if anyone's done some research on PDA fones.

Need some suggestion for one. I've looked around but really hasnt seen anything besides the Moto A1200 since its price range is approx 400 CD (Yes I know it sells for lik 800 here in Canada, but Im gettin it in Taiwan :cool:)

Any suggestions, input redicules are welcome.

Thanks!

2. newjazz

newjazz Regular Member

typist
    hey.. i think first of all you have to know (or decide) which OS you prefer: linux, windows mobile, symbian or palm?

i never use linux (moto A1200 running on linux?) before, so i cant comment on it. But i did use PDA using windows mobile (ipaq) and it was really sux.

Now i m using palm treo 650! i can tell u this is a superb pda phone! functionality & stability really superb!
    and I think if you're looking for CDMA phone you can now buying the latest palm treo 700 which has some enhanced featured compare to treo 650!
    (trust me, i dont work for palm! lol)

anyway, the other OS (symbian) are mainly used in nokia & sony ericsson.
    and I heard from friend sony PDA phone also not bad.

perhaps you can visit this site for some gudget info/reviews:
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/

happy hunting!

3. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Hi, and thx for the quick reply.

Im actually looking for a GSM fone that can run on 850 Mhz.

I dont really care wut OS it is I'll get used to it.

For me the main thing is stability, size and the cost. I guess I'll snoop around the site you sent me first.

If there's any other input it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

4. Zangetsu

Zangetsu Regular Member

Well I just bought a Qtek 8500 and until so far, I am quite satiesfied with it.

www.qtekcorp.com

5. OniMenoKyo

OniMenoKyo Regular Member

The Treo 700 actually runs Windows Mobile. The resolution of the screen is also equivalent to a 600 (even lower than a 650). Only the Treo 650 and 600 run Palm OS.

I personally liked the Treo 650 as it is very customizable. You just need to know where to go to download software and customize the look and you can get everything free. But you have to be careful to back up your OS because you never know what kind of unstable effects any new piece of software may have. I've only tried Windows Mobile and Palm OS, and personally I prefer the customizability (is this a word?) of a Palm PDA.

I assume you'll be surfing the net/checking email and whatnot on your phone? I'm not sure I'd recommend a A1200 as it is not 3G. The resolution of the screen is also so so... On the upside it does have a touch screen, which is a big plus IMHO when it comes to PDAs.

6. newjazz

newjazz Regular Member

typist
    oh.. btw... treo already came out with 700 palm OS. but still in US and CDMA version (no GSM version as at now)

7. OniMenoKyo

OniMenoKyo Regular Member

Oooh, I haven't seen that in Canada yet, but did they improve the screen so the resolution is the same as the 650? (640x480 I think)

8. newjazz

newjazz Regular Member

typist
    there are some improvements... you can check out @ www.palmone.com

Neither me have seen the new treo in here (SG).. guess it will take quite sometimes to arrive here... :rolleyes:

9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    pda

I think in terms of functions, O2 Atom is pretty good. Of course discounting the hanging problems. I believe most pdas are not stable yet. Back to the good old win3.1 days. Agree?:D
    rgds

10. newjazz

newjazz Regular Member

typist
    yes and no! :D
    I think most phone or smartphone have some issue. some are BIG but some are small issues.

I used Windows Mobile PDA before, and it was horrible experience.. cuz hung too many times... very2 unstable.
    And then I tried palm (zire 71), I was soo happy... cuz it was far stable than windows (winblows? :D)

and now I m using treo650.... still reliable as always! ;)

of course I still once-in-awhile experience 'hang'. but it still within 'acceptable' range... :D
    perhaps the stability you can compare it as if you are using non-pda-phone...

based on my friends experience, who had and been using windows mobile pda/phone (o2, ipaq etc), most of them complaining abt this issue.

I think in term of look, windows mobile phone always look prettier; and becoz most of us already get use with PC/Notebook running on Windows OS (95, 98, 2K, XP etc), we tend to go for windows mobile phone.

but i guess better think twice before you go for it...

anyway, in term of functionality, 1 noteable missing functionality in treo650 (and also treo 700) is the missing of WIFI.
    other than that, any software you're needed you'll find it very easily on the web (TS client, Docs2Go, PDF, etc etc)