Smash grip: "LJB" Vs. "Finger power"

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Gollum, Jan 18, 2005.

1. K3vin

K3vin Regular Member

someone have a pic of the LJB grip?

2. ljb707

ljb707 Regular Member

Hello Gollum

Thank you for the question. Yes I have been asked many times like you asked me. I am afraid it is from my experiences.

I check your size of pam and lenth of your finger against mine and then I know if your hand is smaller or bigger then mine. After that I check the size of your racket then I can tell if your size of racket is too big or too small. But it is purely from my own experience.

I am thinking of having losical way of doing it. If I find the way then I will post it but it may take some time.

thank you

Lee

3. ljb707

ljb707 Regular Member

Hello Benasp

I am very happy to hear that you find something beneficial for your badminton.

There are many other things like grip. If you know the losic of badminton a little bit such as how to move and where the impact point should be, it will change your badminton greatly.

Thank you

Lee

4. ljb707

ljb707 Regular Member

Hello K3vin

I am Lee. Thank you for your interest in my way of grip.

The best way for you is to visit www.ibbs.tv

Thank you

Lee

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Thank you for your reply, Lee. Logical way might be more complicated and difficult to work out, because then you have to account for the different hand sizes of two players, not just one.

Many things in badminton rely on experience to understand. Perhaps this is also one of those.

In any case, it is helpful to the players that you can check their grip sizes, using your experience :)

6. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

hi, what i will show you isn't the Ljb grip but that very similar ''IN MY OPINION'' and only in my opinion

so look at that grip
    , it's a tennir grip :mad: ok now try to make thip grip on your badminton racquet and turn you racquet until it is angled about 10 degree different from a normal Vgrip, 10 toward the inside of your hand.

an easier way to view the grip is simply to make your thumb grip the racquet more thight, and you do that by raproaching it from your other finger, If you do that from a v grip the angle should come naturally

7. Konnichiwa

Konnichiwa Regular Member

Studente
    Thank you for the feedback on grip size,

I was wondering whether or not I should hold the LJB grip during all my shots instead of only the smash, is this a more efficient way to prepare to hit any stroke?

8. ljb707

ljb707 Regular Member

Hi,

There are three main grips and in my opinion player should be able to use all three grips during a match.

1. You need nutural grip when you are waiting opponent shots as you do not know where shuttle cock will come. In this time you should not have forhand or back hand grip.

2. you need back hand grip
    3. you need for hand grip

Even forhand or back hand grip depending on how early and how late you are taking it there are different backhand grips also there are different forhand grips.

If some one says one grip for all situration in a match will limit the player quality shots as dependiing on where you are taking opponent shot, your grip has to be changed each time.

Thank you.

9. Konnichiwa

Studente

Thank You very much Lee, I will keep this in mind

10. Konnichiwa

Studente
    i recently talked to a former world class player from my club, and he told me that the two fingers at the bottom are always firmly on the racket. But he said that some people hold three fingers firm at all times leaving the thumb and index finger for guidance. What is your view on this matter?

11. ljb707

ljb707 Regular Member

Thank you for the question.

Generaly speaking bottom three fingers have thik feeling and top two fingers are for the changing angles.

It is very difficult to say whether or not it is bottom two fingers or bottom three fingers. Also top two fingers can be used for power depending on different shots.

The key things to be discussed are:

1. whether or not you chnage grips for different shots
    2. what power do you use to hold grip in different stage; when you are waiting opponent shot, just before you make a shot and at the impact.

Thank you.

Lee

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Note: anyone reading this thread should also look here:

http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33784

In that thread, I explain a significant change in my views based on correspondance with Badminton England. In my view now, it is not good to learn the LJB smash grip. I believe that learning this grip will lead to several problems in stroke skills.

I will explain in more detail in the new grips guide.

13. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    So you were for the ljb grip before but now you arent? Another question, is LJB still for his own grip? Or is he now promoting the England grip.

14. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    Another thing, since ljb's smash grip is rotated towards panhandle and england's grip is rotated the opposite, perhaps the traditional grip (i.e the one in the guides) is correct, like a hybrid of the both.

15. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

Surely the angle of one's racket with respect to one's grip should be as individual as the person's stroke. The ultimate goal is to hit the bird with the racket square at the point of impact to produce the maximum power. Depending on the ready stance of that person's smash, the speed of the person's hip rotation and forearm rotation, the grip angle may have to be adjusted a little one direction or the other so that the racket will hit the bird square on impact. For LJB it is 10-15 degrees one way, but for someone else with a different stroke the adjustment will be different. To say that one direction is correct and the other direction is wrong just doesn't make sense, and indicates a lack of understanding as to why the grip is rotated off "neutral". My suggestion is for each person to try different "offset angles" to find out which amount of offset is best for that individual's stroke.

16. Chai

Chai Regular Member

import export
    I agreed. It is generally much more easier, consistent and accurate to perform forehand smash down the line using the angle as per LJB's suggestion for example.

In the conventional teaching; you teach kids to "hold" the racket in what most call universal grip for an example; and naturally they will progress, or aid by the coach, to discover that they have to change the angle slightly when they have to hit accurately with power. Infact, it is interesting to note that most people may not realise that they have changed the angle of the grip slighlty prior to hitting the shuttle!

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

There are a number of issues here, some of which are quite complex. I will try to explain as best I can in a short post; for a fuller, more thoughtful and organised explanation, you'll have to wait for the new grips guide.

That's right. I used to believe that Lee Jae's smash grip was helpful; now I believe it is harmful. This change of opinion has been brought about by detailed discussion with a BE representative.

Although I do not agree with Lee Jae's "smash grip" teaching, my respect for him as a coach is not at all diminished. He remains an inspiring coach and I have learned many new ideas from him. Yet I believe it is foolish to elevate anyone to a godlike status, where his views are beyond doubt. I believe it is better to look for a consensus than to follow the opinions of a single person.

So far as I am aware Lee Jae has not changed his teaching as a result of becoming a BE national coach. At the top level, coaching involves some negotiation between players and coaches; top players may or may not choose to follow Lee Jae's teaching in this matter.

No. This sort of argument leads to bad coaching.

The grip determines your possible stroke mechanics. Adjusting your technique to suit your grip is a bad idea. If your grip is wrong, don't compensate for it with technique adjustments; learn the right grip. If your technique is wrong, then fix it. It's really very easy once you give the right grip a chance.

There are many grip variations and players must learn to adjust their grip to the situation. Sometimes the shuttle will be farther in front, or lower than you want; in this case the grip will be adjusted towards pandhandle. Sometimes the shuttle will be hit from behind; in this case, the grip will be adjusted towards a thumb grip (away from panhandle).

Many top players learn to make a slight adjustment towards panhandle for some smashes. Yet this is easily over-exaggerated if you deliberately learn a "smash grip".

A further danger of learning this smash grip is that you will probably start using it for clears and dropshots. Clears from the forehand rearcourt are likely to go out the side, or to be heavily sliced. Dropshots will lack "feel" because this grip limits the interaction of thumb and first finger.

It is important to start with the correct basic grip. When you find yourself varying this grip to cope with different situations, that's fine. But if you deliberately adopt a "smash grip", it is likely to harm your technique.

If you want to develop a personal technique "style", to express your individuality, that's fine. But if you want to improve your technique, it will be better to follow the most generally accepted best methods.

Unfortunately, many coaches have learned the neutral "shake hands" grip and still teach it. BE wants to get coaches to correct their teaching; in the new grips guide, and in my personal coaching, I am doing my part to help this transition.

This is also a poor argument. Two wrongs don't make a right.

The grips guide "neutral" or "traditional" grip is closer to the correct basic grip, and therefore less harmful than Lee Jae's "smash grip". But neither is correct.

#77 Gollum, Aug 3, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  18. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

Quote:
    Surely the angle of one's racket with respect to one's grip should be as individual as the person's stroke.

No. This sort of argument leads to bad coaching

Actually, bad coaching is when a self-proclaimed "coach" does an 180 degrees and starts teaching something that is the complete opposite of what he was preaching with total conviction moments earlier.This leads me to believe that that "coach" has no idea what he is talking about.

It is also bad coachig when the "coach" fail to realize that there are many different styles of badminton, and there are more than one way to play each stroke. Unless one is being coached from a very young age so that one can be moulded a certain way (a la Chinese coaching), it is much more realistic to coach to that individual's already established style and not try to radically change that style unless it is totally wrong.

Readers who are relying on these dialogs to improve their games should keep in mind that when you are reading postings by people who you don't personally know and therefore have no idea what their level of play is, you should take their their advice with trepidation. By all means try out the ideas, but don't take them as Gospel. More importantly, these postings should never replace live coaching, be they in a one-on-one setting or in a group setting.

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

There's no need to be so spiteful :rolleyes:

Yes, I accept that I have changed my views on grips. I have also given good reasons for this change of opinion. I do not agree that the change is "180 degrees" (although the metaphor is amusing; an 180 degree grip change, given the symmetry of the racket, would result in no change at all ;)).

Which is better: to be honest when you change your views, or to cling to your old views to avoid losing credibility? I am confident of my credibility, both on Badminton Central and in my personal coaching. I prefer to tell the truth.

You are espousing what I like to call "bohemian badminton". Bohemian badminton is a groovy, laid-back school of teaching. It says that there is no right or wrong way to perform a stroke. Instead, there are lots of alternative techniques, which all are equally good. The techniques are as individual as the player.

This is utter rubbish, of course :rolleyes:

As a qualified coach, I do not enjoy the luxury of teaching "bohemian badminton". It is my responsibilty to base my teaching on the recommendations of badminton's national governing body in my country. I must not teach esoteric techniques of my own.

The recommendations of the national governing body sometimes change. Badminton England has undergone an extensive revision of its coaching materials, as part of the move towards the UK Coaching Certificate standard. This revision has brought about some significant improvements in their teaching, including grips.

Of course, I'm just a self-proclaimed coach. But you can look me up with Badminton England if you want:
    Name: Michael Hopley
    Qualification: coach level two
    Membership number: 091027​

#79 Gollum, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  20. bdbc74

bdbc74 Regular Member

Here is a link for a short video about smash-grip with Detlef Poste, by now trainer of the german national team.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=4D38D3327D4FC004

"Hand vor und Zugreifen" means something like "hand forward (with very loose finger grip) and grips tightly (when you hit the ball)".

Further in his opinion is by smash the underarm-supination passive, it comes to it trough the explosive hand-forward movement.

These video is from the "DVD Badminton Leistungsbereiche 2004" which is available here:
    http://www.smash-sport.de/
    for 12,- eu.