Help! Arm hurt when using NS8K

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Aryan, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Aryan

Aryan Regular Member

Hi. I just bought my NS8K a month ago. I am switching from MP88 to NS8K. No doubt NS8K is an excellent racket, my control, response and power has increased tremendously each time I play. I m still adjusting to it. The only problem i m facing is smashing. My approach of smashing is by swing my arm rather than the wrist power. Espeacially during jumping smash. Each time my arm is swing, I feel the pain in my arm. Probably NS8K is head light balance. When I use back my MP88 which is head heavy balance, I feel better and my smashing is sharp and powerful enough to kill the opponent.
    I switch to NS8K in order that my game can be improved further after I read so many good comment about it. Can anyone advise if my problem is due to my smashing technique or NS8K is not the racket i should use or anyone have some other valuable experience to share? Thanks ;)

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    100% not due to ns8000. Your incorrect arm swing is tolerated when using mp88 but not when using ns8k. WHen u learn the proper smashing technique, u can smash just as hard with a mp88 too.

3. Aryan

Aryan Regular Member

Hi Cooler. Can you advise further what should be the correct smashing technique in term of utilizing the arm, forearm, wrist, shoulder and some other parts? Thanks :confused:

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

start with clearing practice, too many beginners want to jump right into smashing. When ur arm is getting tired, u will start using less shoulder and arm. Keep practicing clearing, it shouldnt wreck ur arm.

5. akn112

akn112 Regular Member

i believe u need to use more wrist in your smash, NS8k is a much stiffer racquet that MP88 and requires a much faster swing

6. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

NS8k lack power for your kind of player, Aryan. So you had to put in more effort. That resulted in straining your arm in some way.

If it hurts, stop. If you don't, you might end up with an injury. An injured arm will give you minimal power as well as minimal speed. No racket will make up for a bad arm.

A good arm is where all your power will come from. So keep playing with the MP88. As you can already do kill smashes with that, what more do you want ?

7. Aryan

Aryan Regular Member

Hi. I appreciate the comment given to me on the use of NS8K. Look like ns8k is not so suitable to me at my stage of playing.

I am still keen to improve my game by playing with another racket. MP88 may not give me the control, response and more power in my game. So, can anyone advise which racket is suitable as a replacement for MP88 which is head heavy balance but light as a whole.

8. ghi72

ghi72 Regular Member

i have a Kason Lepton F2, it's very light 77g+-2, but also head heavy and it's also flexible. i don't like it, instead i like to play with my tactic nb8000, which is very much opposite of the kason. we can swap rackets, if you like ;)

9. Aryan

Aryan Regular Member

Thanks for showing your interest. In fact, I am looking for a YONEX racket :p

10. vze22jf9

vze22jf9 New Member

I don't think this is serious at all. I think the more likely cause of your arm pain is due to significant difference in swing weight between the two racquets. The NS 8000, being both lighter and head light, allows you to swing much faster. Because you're unaccustomed to it, you're probably swinging it as hard as you can. The result is probably some stretched tendons. It is akin to going straight into a game without proper warm ups.

What you should do is rest the arm until the pain goes away. Then when returning to the NS8K, ease off from using full power for a few games or sessions and work your way up to full swings.

Mark

EDIT: Unlike in tennis where a lighter racquet can directly lead to arm/elbow/shoulder injury, there's no scientific reason that a lighter racquet in badminton can be the cause of injuries other than whacking yourself with it. It may reveal some problems in one's technique, as a poster mentioned earlier, but that's actually a good thing as you can then correct your technique.

#10 vze22jf9, Jul 17, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  11. Aryan

Aryan Regular Member

Can mp88 and ns8k backup one another?

Thanks for the advise.

Now i have 2 different kind of racket, mp88 & ns8k. Is it recommendable to have them to backup one another in view of my style of play (i use to swing the arm than the wrist). Or should i stick to one type of racket? In other word, choose either mp88 or ns8k?

I am also interested to know which type of Yonex racket can be a better replacement to mp88 which under the head heavy category but light in the body?

Anyone can share your experience? ;)

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

The best replacement of a MP88 is.... are you ready?

Answer: Another MP88

If u r looking for a light and responsive head heavy manuevrable racket, save your sweat, stop looking, it hasn't been made yet.:rolleyes:

read my product review on ns8k, suggested minimum requirement is B level. You dont sound like ur there yet.

#12 cooler, Jul 17, 2006
  13. vze22jf9

vze22jf9 New Member

As to the backup rackets, of course it is better to have identical rackets with identical strings and tension as backups. However, that's really a money/budget issue and not a performance issue. Naturally you should play with the better racket, which you already know.

That said, whether you choose the NS8k over the MP88 will depend on your answer to the following question. Are you a competitive person who wants to win now or are you a more laid-back person who is willing to sacrifice a losing period to get accustomed (and possibly develop/use new techniques) to a new racket that's better suited for you?

Mark

#13 vze22jf9, Jul 17, 2006
  14. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

That seems to imply NS8k is a more suitable racket. Any reason why that is the case ? If the reason is because NS8k is more expensive, therefore it is more suitable, then surely going for the most expensive racket in the Yonex range would be even more 'suitable' ? Using this kind of logic, a racket encrusted with diamonds will undoutably turn anyone into world number one in no time.

15. Aryan

Aryan Regular Member

My intention in using ns8k initially is because it is head light and I want to increase my power especially in smashing. I felt that I still lack of power when using my mp88. :rolleyes:

Also, many had said that ns8k has increased their power tremendously. That's why I give myself a try on this racket. Now I notice it takes a lot of adjustment from my part especially in the way I approach the game which I never think of :eek:

16. vze22jf9

vze22jf9 New Member

It's not about price at all and I did not suggest that NS8K is a superior racket to the MP88 for all people. However, if you go back to Aryan's original post, you will see that in his own words he essentially said that the NS8K is the superior racket for him. I quote again,

He said that in using the NS8K, his control, response and power all increased tremendously compared to the MP88. Whether he currently has the proper techniques and strength to fully take advantage of the NS8K is thus irrevelant, he's already playing much better using it.

Aryan's only apparent issue is the arm pain, which I believe is a minor issue as I had stated earlier. In the worst case, he would have to learn how to proper "wrist snap" to reduce overswinging with his arm, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. However, learning to "wrist snap" will affect his timing and most likely will result in a period of poorer performance. Hence my suggestion earlier for Aryan to ask himself whether he's willing to accept a period of losing in switching to the NS8K.

Mark

#16 vze22jf9, Jul 18, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  17. Aryan

Aryan Regular Member

You are right. Now, I am experiencing the state of poorer performance in my game when using ns8k. Beside arm pain, I am lacking of confidence in every shot that I take where mistakes are made more than the time when I use my mp88. :(

However, I can feel that in term of control, response and power is increasing as compare to my mp88. ;)

Can anyone recommend if mp88 and ns8k can backup one another in view of my current situation that I am experincing? :confused:

18. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    It's quite easy.. If your arm hurts DON'T use it..put it aside or sell it and use the MP88 (or another flex-shaft racket).. If possible get someone to look at your technique to see what improvements could be done..

/twobeer

19. vze22jf9

vze22jf9 New Member

Wow, am I the only one who's in favor of Aryan using the NS8K?

While it's true that a less advanced player may not fully take advantage of a "player's" racket such as the NS8K, and this can lead to period of poor performance and possibly loss of confidence and interest in the sport, there are many positive advantages as well.

To start, let's address the downside first. Aryan has clearly shown that he's interested in improving his game and appears to be aware of the fact his performance will suffer in switching to the NS8K. He also appears to be willing to endure a period of poorer performance. Therefore, I think the risk of Aryan losing enough confidence to lose interest in badminton is minimal as he is fully aware of the downside and appears be willing to go through it to improve his game. The arm issue aside, the worst that can happen is that Aryan will find after a month that the adjustment for the NS8K will take too long and he abandons it. After all, he's already bought the NS8K.

Now to address the upside. Using a "player's" racket, typically associated with traits such as lack of power, stiffness, small sweetspot, can reveal very quickly areas that a player needs to work on. It quickly forces the player to develop better arm strength, better techniques (wrist work), form, footwork, and consistency. If the player doesn't, the racket will immediately expose him as he will mishit often (smaller sweetspot) and will hit weak returns because the shots he used to muscled through (i.e. out of position) he no longer can't.

This can be confidence shattering and a devastating process to an uninformed player or someone not in the proper mindset (i.e. willing to work HARD to improve quickly and not afraid getting his ego bruised). However, this is also helps the player improve quickly as he gets immediate feedback whenever he mishits or fails to use the proper footwork or techniques.

Now whether a player, like Aryan, should go through this process will depend on his personality, goals in badminton, desire and ability to get on a court to practice. No one can answer these question except for the player himself, in this case Aryan.

Of course he can keep using his head-heavy MP88 and he would be able to improve, although probably at a slower rate. A good analogy is to compare this to playing against more advanced player as opposed to players at the same level, which do you think will help improve one's game more? Sure, chances are you would lose much more but you will also improve much quicker.

On the arm injury issue, while I stated that I believe it is a minor issue, perhaps I should've been more clear -- you (Aryan) should definitely ease off and rest the arm until it's properly healed before playing again. As several posters have stated and implied, you do not want to let this arm pain progress into a serious injury by keep playing at your current high intensity (which you can do by stop playing, reduce your intensity, or stop using the NS8K).

I am guessing your arm pain is near your elbow area, correct? This type of injury (stretched tendons) can take several days to heal, more (at least 1 more week) if you take the NSAID class of anti-inflamatory drugs or painkillers.

If you haven't rested your arm yet, you should ice the afflicted area if it is still hurting (also after playing if it hurts) to reduce the inflamation. Then you should use heat packs to increase circulation in the afflicted area to speed up the healing. But just normal resting of the arm, i.e. no smashing at fullspeed with the NS8K or lifting heavy objects, will work as well.

Once you are ready to return playing badminton, you should probably ease off on using the NS8K. Instead of playing for 3 hours in one session smashing with the NS8K, start with 1 hour. Then rest or switch to the MP88 if you want to play more and work the other aspects of your game. Assuming no pain in the arm the following day, you can slowly boost your playing time with the NS8K in the following sessions. How much I will leave to you. Some weight training of your arms will help as well.

Finally, on the issue of MP88 backing up the NS8K and vice versa, this is not an ideal situation as I and other posters have stated. If you're rich and have the money, then go ahead and buy another NS8K or MP88 (depending on which way you decide in the end) and have it strung the same way as your current setup. Also if you are competiting regularly in tournaments or competitions, then you should get a proper backup (i.e. identical racket, string, and tension). But assuming you're like the rest of us and with the price of rackets nowadays, I would just keep the rackets that you have now and use it to backup each other until you have decided that you've found the "ideal" (for you) racket.

Mark

20. hydrocyanic

hydrocyanic Regular Member

wasting my time
    sound true IFF ns8k is indeed a better racket than mp88

now the question is: better in what way?

weight? mp88 is lighter, material? how does new material benefit anyways? all i see is "less = more" and less vibration, both doesn't seems to be beneficial compare to mp either, and weight distribution is just a matter of taste rather than "better" too

more holes might contribute to bigger sweet spot, but who are all the players that are used to cab series then?

all those "advancements" can be quite misleading

mp88 will give as much room for any player to improve compare to ns8k, all you see is marketing and promotions

maybe if you compare mp66 and ns6k, thats a better comparison as they are both flex and headlight

#20 hydrocyanic, Jul 19, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2006