New Badminton Centre, Richmond BC

Discussion in 'RichmondPro Badminton Centre' started by madbad, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I have not seen the place yet (hopefully sometime before they open) but I understand that there will be no on allow to sit along the back wall. The sitting/waiting area is in the middle of the facility so I would assume that the owners/operators will request people to move to the sitting/waiting area when not playing. Not ideal but better safe than sorry.

As for the distance, 4 ft is probably cutting it close. Regulation court requires 5 feet between courts and 8 feet between end to end courts. Only time will tell if 4 ft is enough to prevent some players from destroying their racquets or bodies :)

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Opening date Sat 8 July

Hi everyone

I have just returned from the badminton centre and this is what's in store. We hope to open for play on Saturday 8 July, but is subject to final inspection on Weds. Please call 604-231-0999 to confirm. If it's a go, times of operation are from 9am - 11 pm. I will post a confirmation after the inspection.

We're really pushing hard to have things completed and hopefully, we won't have to answer the oft asked question "When are you opening?" anymore. :p :p . For all those who have dropped by for a sneak peak or for a tryout session, thank you for all the feedback. I think generally, the centre has been received positively. For those on BC discussing the distance between courts, etc, let me assure no one was hurt during these trials (or close to being injured :). Anyway we've done what we can to fit the courts within the dimension of the buidling and yet make them playable.

Coaching and camps will begin shortly after the opening. Please call the centre at the above number if you're interested or simply drop by. We are still building our website and there are many pics that need to be taken for it. The nuts and bolts are in place though.

To book a court, please call 604-231-0999 or once again, drop by. Please be patient as I'm sure there will be an initial rush. Herer's the summer playing schedule:
    - drop-in 9am -12 noon $4.50/session. we have 5 courts reserved for drop-ins at first and will adjust according to demand
    - rentals 12 noon - 11pm $16/hr.

INTRODUCTORY SPECIAL
    Purchase a 12 x 1 hr session card for $168.00.
    Works out to about $14/hr! Now, that's a great deal!
    This special will run for 1 month and you have 6 months to use up your card from the day of purchase. I suggest for everyone to stock up :p

Well, we're rounding the final corner but there is still work to be done. We're trying to enjoy the process but come Saturday we hope you'll all drop by to help us feel better about it. Please introduce yourselves to us using your BC name (you can ask for me, madbad). Those who already know me, don't be smart asses! :D :D

Oh, nearly forgot–please park in the back. We have a parking lot there and that's where the main entrance is. Unfortunately, your car will be towed if you park in the front.

Till the next report
    mb

#42 madbad, Jul 3, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  3. shreky

shreky Regular Member

congratulations on the new club ..... any plans of opening one in New Jersey? ;) :D

4. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    great. sadly i wont be able to see what the drop-in is like until august(summer school and all). i'll be interested to hear about how the camps and coaching will work though. i'd like to see the coaching methods that are used, the times, the level of play, how to sort the people in the lessons, etc etc.

5. JCCEE

JCCEE Regular Member

Just want to make sure the "drop-in 9am -12 noon " as Mon to Sun? or??

Can't wait to see the place :D
    Wish you guys can open the center sooner

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Drop ins will be M-F 9 am-noon. Thanks for picking that up. :)

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

The latest news is that we have a second inspection scheduled for Fri am as a result of the initial Weds inspection. Naturally, the opening date will depend on the outcome. As things stand I suspect the chances of us opening on Saturday are slim. Please check again for further updates or call 604-231-0999. Thank you all for your patience.

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Tonight we had the VRC bunch and the Cambie Weds night lot drop by for a sneak peak & play. I hope you all had a good time and are positive about the facility. WinexWestCanada was here too (finally :D ). Spread the news! I thought the atmosphere was great and there was a great deal of interaction between everyone. Three of our coaches were present too to hand out a few "spankings". Thank God I was too tired to play against them. :p :p

Over the last 2 weeks we have had a ton of enquiries and we thank everyone for their interest. We hope to be able to accomodate you for the days/time slots you requested. Thanks again, everyone

mb

9. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    still looking forward to see how the camp and coaching is gonna be done.

10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

The "boss" was taking care of some of the scheduling issues this evening. Hope to be able to report something on that soon. :)

11. JCCEE

JCCEE Regular Member

Friday Morning@@ ..I would love to come ^^
    What time What time~~?

12. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Too bad that I couldn't play a couple of games but my intention was to show the Winex products anyhow.

My impression of the place is that it is great. Clear ceiling height is the same as C2. Others have made note of the 4' clearance between the walls and the back of the court. Yeah, could be better with a foot more but that moves the courts ends closer and that could hamper folks from getting to the courts so that's a tradeoff. Lights are good although it would be nice to have dark curtains covering the top to avoid lights from the other courts. My only other concern is courts 1 and 2 being end to end and the distance between the two ends are too close (for my comfort).

The court mats are from Victor or Pro-Court whereas the ones in C1 are from Gelflor and C2 has the Nagase mats. WWCBro mentioned that the mats are not as "grippy" as the ones in C2.

BF'ers who were there this evening included Pete LSD, TTT, Speed76 (Mr & Mrs), Wood_22_Chuck and bro and Mr. Mystery (aka CD-ROM). NB: I thought Pete LSD was nuts to be playing a game with nylon shuttle using his 32lbs tensioned racquet.

13. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Thanks for the fun tonight! :D

Everyone was very friendly and the games very, very fun, especially playing against provincial-level players.

The surface is very reminiscent of the flooring at Cameron Community Centre. The concrete back wall is too close to the ends of the courts. Not more than two racket lengths from the back line (singles).

Ceiling height is good. The place feels cavernous!

I could be wrong about this, but it seems like only the VRC players were bringing out shuttles to the court.

When changing sides, there's a big perspective change, as on one side, you're looking at the back wall pretty close to the end of the opponents side, and on change-over, now the back wall is FARRRRRRRR away.

It was great seeing WWC in person again, and some familiar faces from Cambie CC and socializing.

Also managed to try out the 21-rally-pt system and it's actually creates a new dimension to the game. I recommend people actually try it out before meting out judgment.

Thanks madbad and gang, for a wonderful evening :D

-dave
    p.s. Sorry didn't bring the camera out today, rushed home from work, chowed down a light snack and rushed out again to RichmondPro.

#53 wood_22_chuck, Jul 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  14. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Ooh, forgot to mention, the black curtains will be going up soon so the issues mentioned earlier will be non-issues.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    no piccies????

how can there be a gathering without piccies? :mad:

16. madbad

madbad Regular Member

He, he, sorry Kwun, you'll just have to come up and experience things first hand :D :D :D

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if you subsidize my trip, i will even take and post the photos for you for free. ;)

18. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Photos

TTT and Speed78 have cameras. Photos were taken. Please post the photos!!!

19. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Probably not Speed78 as she has analog camera. It'll take some time.

20. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Just wanna thank our hosts for inviting us to check out the place. I am very grateful for the chance to play in another classy establishment:).

For sure, me and my partner were quite happy to provide feathers to play against a certain provincial level player:p. Actually me think we got the best deal out of the lot of us;).

Not only did VRC members bring their numbers to the club, they brought out their egalitarian habits with them too:D. Definitely lots of Sosan Black shuttles flying around the courts.

Lighting around the courts is not perfect but it's more than adequate. Like wwcbro, I too find that the flooring is not as grippy as C1 or C2 but it still does the job well and forces me not to slack off too much on my footwork. IMO, the only major downside is the feel of the courts which is reminence to Cameron CC but at least it's not a John Braithwaite CC type of hardness:p. However, I am one of those players who are spoilt by VRC environment so it might not apply to most players:eek:. The place looks great! Good work, guys!