A win is a win?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by wing-omega5-0, Jun 26, 2006.

1. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    I've played someone in singles with the end result being somewhere around 15-12 or 15-13. But, on the same day I also played someone that is on a significantly higher level with rougly the same score. What do you guys think of situations like that? Do you think that a win is a win no matter how it happens(with no cheating in the game of course). Do you think that winning a game with more of a score difference truly shows that you have more skill?

2. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    A win is a win and nobody remembers the runner up. Its the win on the score sheet that matters.

But I also look at my scores against high grade players how close the game was, I also look at the scores with same grade players against high grade players and how they perform and I compare scores etc.

3. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I believe that a win is a win but winning consistently against weaker and of the same level is what you should strive for. Getting the occasional win or taking a stronger player to sets isn't as important as beating people who you are closer level to and beating players you are better than. For myself (only in singles) I've beaten myself far more than any opponent. Through mistakes, through choking, through a loss in confidence, a loss in touch, a loss in focus...

4. cgote16

cgote16 Regular Member

student/ breeder
    Well oviously the win by score allows u to advance in a tournament, but may not help u in learning anything new. If i loose to a beter player i allways tell my self it was i win because i learned somthing new..dont look at the score to judge if ur good or not..use it to set goals. I have to dissagree with robc06, sure this may be the case somtimes but if you put up a good fight, ull allways be rememberd, infact iv had people come up to me and say "hey ur the guy who lost to so and so last year, that was a great match, good job" sure winnings nice..but i believe u learn the most when loosing, its easyer to reflect on ur mastakes. hope this helps ;)

5. gabxzz

gabxzz Regular Member

student
    When practising or juz playing with others, try to look for the good ones that can trash u. I find that those are the people that really force u to learn. But in a competition, win all u can, do not purposely challange those who u noe are better then u juz to show that u can win :)

6. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    Something my coach has told me to do since the tournament is to take notes after each match win or lose, what I did right, what I did wrong, what the opposition did to beat me or how I beat him so that we can work on that during training but also when I play that player again I can look at the notes and know how I can beat him.

7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    A win is just a win, how you get the win is almost irrelevant in this case if you factor 'no cheating' in the equation. As long as you get the win, that's all that matters at the end of the day. Although if you want to do all these self improvement, after winning, don't bother bout what you did right, just concern on what you did wrong. Period.

8. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    I as well agree that a win is a win. However, I still consider score as very important to my improvement even if I win. If I lose, I again consider score as an important factor by the following scale:

4-6: Relatively easy.
    7-10: Easy and possibly just below my level. (Probably lots of mistakes by one side)
    11-13: My skill level or better than me.
    14-15: Better than me or at my skill level.

Most games I play take place around 10-13 which are against players probably around my skill level and are probably better than me at some areas and I'm better than them at others.

9. gabxzz

gabxzz Regular Member

student
    a win is a win, does not depend entirely on the person's skill level or experience. somedays are juz not your days. on that kind of days u do not play as well, or u make more mistakes then usual

10. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    use this way.... second place is the first loser, so if you are really optimistic a lose is a win, otherwise you lose.

11. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    jI somewhat agree with Trance.. except I have more tolerance in my "calculations"

0 - the skill level difference is too big
    1-5 - the skill level difference is big, but I still made some mistakes or they were able to catch me off guard some times
    6-8 - they have relative competence... but not quite there yet.
    9-10 - close
    11-15 - close, it could've easily gone the other way around

other than that, it still depends.. some people I play make me play long rallies.. although the score won't always show it.

If it's 3 sets, it's pretty close

If 2 people are close, I think it all depends on playing style... for example
    players A, B, C all have different styles, different strengths/weaknesses

A vs B, they could play 3 close sets
    B vs C, they could play 3 close sets
    A vs C, A could win 15-7 15-4

#11 SWC_Ant, Jun 26, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  12. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

How "pretty close" would you consider an actual match that went...

17 - 16
    16 - 17
    17 - 16

Which took one & half hours to complete? :eek:

Cheers!

13. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    A win IS a win

A win IS a win. Same for all sports. That's why there is Round 1, Round 2, Round 3, Round 4 (may be), then Quarter Finals, Semis, then the Final...

All the way to find the champion. And how do we determine the champion? Yes.... by the score unfortunately.

What does the score mean? Does it reflect the skills completely? Does it reflect the mentality completely? Does it reflect so and so....? So many questions to be asked.

But the score is definitely a number - a quantitative measure of the skill of the player or the team over its opponent. In tournaments for all sports (like the Football World Cup), the champion tends to be the one who play "consistently with a better standard or skill" against its opponents, not just one game. Of course you cannot exclude the element of LUCK.

However, there are always things that cannot be measured by numbers. But we always try to do so... For example, your wife or girlfriend would ask: how much do you love me, on the scale of 1 to 10.. :confused: .

14. setaa

setaa Regular Member

a no brainer. 12! :D

15. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Rationalizing that a loss is acceptable because of a close score is for losers.

Losing should fuel your desire to play better, to be a tougher player, to be the best. When it matters, all that you want to do is win. Whether you overpower them with your speed, make them look foolish with your tricky moves or scrape out an ugly one doesn't matter.

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    That's kinda screwed up. Personally, I pride myself in stealing a win from superior opponents... or even besting them. Why measure yourself against weaker players when stronger opponents can show you your weaknesses? There will always be mistakes but minimising them should be your goal, otherwise why would you ever learn from them?

17. harmono

harmono Regular Member

a close win shows mental toughness, something that is very important to have.

A big win show dominance. But this can be misleading depending on the games circumstances.

I personally like those 2 point wins, they feel so much better. But a win is a win.

18. chewablemorphin

WRONG girls don't like guys who are obsessed with them to score extra points say 0 then she's LIKE OH NO YOU DI'NT and you're like OH YES I DID...otherwise you look like a dork saying 12, girls don't like dorks. JUST sayin....

19. setaa

setaa Regular Member

nice prejudice right there, young one :rolleyes:

20. chewablemorphin

well... you know i'm right.