Chinese Taipei Open 2006 Pictures...

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Malaysia Open / Chinese Taipei Op' started by ctjcad, Jun 19, 2006.

1. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    It's simple. Someone wants free lunch and don't even want to give credits to people who give him free lunch.

Event timeline:
    1. People (including myself) took pictures at Taipei Open.
    2. We posted our pictures online and let others see.
    3. Other people (more than one site) copied and modified the pictures that we posted online. All authors/photographers' names on the pictures were all erased/modified and people who used our pictures never mention where he got the pictures. All they did was posting those pictures as if it's their own pictures.
    4. We were informed about this by other members of the site and started to make contacts on this matter.
    5. Some of the violators apologized and agreed to follow the guidelines while others think everything in the world should be free and people should share everything with them and they should be able to do whatever they want, including erasing authors/photographers name on the pictures and copy everything they want.
    6. Due to above circumstances, we photographers don't feel good about it as all our pictures are now becoming others work. Therefore, we will stop posting any further photos of Taipei open online.

Personally, I don't like those people. Especially with those people who have no respect to the photographers. If they want to use pictures that way, then they can do the same thing as me: Buy an international air ticket and fly to the tournament yourself and take your own pictures. "Sharing" is not a word for making everything free.

Here is what I think:
    -I don't mind if people download my pictures and save it in their computers for ones viewing.
    -I don't mind if people re-post my pictures to other sites as long as they mention the source and not to modify the pictures.

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I do agree with BlueJeff.

3. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

I stand behind Blue Jeff ... I guess it's just someone who doesn't know how it feels when your hard work was taken and modified as someone's work

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Alright.. lets not talk about this issue anymore.. we are running out of topic. Lets see some pics... either from BlueJeff or from someone else.

5. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    You never used pirated software?

6. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    okok...enough....so what time are the matches starting?

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Couple of suggestions from me..

bluejeff, before i post my suggestions/opinions, just want to say thank you for taking your time to go to the tournament to take some pics and post/share them here. Your hard work is much appreciated.:cool:
    Now, regarding what happened, i didn't quite follow, but sorry to hear abt it.
    But here are my suggestions if you, or anyone else, want to do in the future to avoid a similar situation:
    1. I know this will take a bit of work, but how abt if you put somekind of a watermark across your picture. Like those from the Getty's website??..I know it *might* take a bit more work, but if you do, even if people want to copy/save them on their computer and *EDIT* them, they won't be able to erase the watermark from the pic as easily, if it's possible. Unless, they know a way to do so, which personally i'm not familiar with..:rolleyes:
    2. Another way is to apply an encrypted code(s) on the pics, so if someone wants to d/l them, it won't be as easy for them to do so.
    Anyways, those are just my suggestions. But if you feel those are too extreme, then that's fine also...;) :rolleyes: :)

#47 ctjcad, Jun 24, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  8. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    bluejeff.

u don't pay the players, so the pic should be free :)

9. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    That's a twisted idea. However, I do not blame you for having a distorted understand of copyrights considering your environment.

10. taufik-ist

it administrator
    the license should be GPL

11. hara^kazuko

Duh, what exactly the environment u mean?

I used pirated software.. but since bluejeff was kind enough to offer sharing with his photos, modifying was disrespectful...

I think pirated software didnt change Mariah Carey's album to someone else album, so is this case

12. taufik-ist

it administrator
    using pirated software for non comersial is OK (by me) :D

i think bluejeff is not a badminton fan

13. khelben

khelben Regular Member

the fact that these photos were taken by bluejeff means that they are in some sense his property. he was under no obligation to even share the photos with any of us but chose to do so anyway. all bluejeff asked for was that others acknowledge his effort in taking these photos, which i think is a valid and legitamate request. i mean all one needs to do is to identify him as the source, something which can take as little as 2 seconds to do.

anyway here's thanks to bluejeff for his generosity. looking forward to more photos.

p.s. the photos are already free to begin with, and since no money is involved, there is no way to even remotely link this to piracy.

14. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Oh... I was just amazed that someone who stole software would be able to make righteous comments about other people's hardwork being taken.

Of course, from what you have just said here, its alright to steal, but not modify stolen goods. As a thief, it would be hypocritical to be caught saying: "I stand behind Blue Jeff ... I guess it's just someone who doesn't know how it feels when your hard work was taken and modified as someone's work".

15. LilyC

LilyC Regular Member

Good work Bluejeff!!!

Hey Bluejeff~
    Good work on all of your pictures.
    I understand how much hardwork you have put in and I definitely agree that others should not be using your work and pretending to be theirs.
    Proud of all the work you've done~~ THANK YOU!
    It's hard to be able to please everyone - but you know what?
    Most of us are here to support you!!!
    Good work and keep it up.
    Thank you for all the pics during the Taipen Open.
    *salute you*

16. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Bluejeff has the right to his work irregardless whether he paid the players or not. Copyright protects the intellectual work. He has the right to his picture of the sunset even though he did not pay the sun for setting. So by saying his work should be free is plain wrong.

17. hara^kazuko

very well said, I suppose you are not here making a remark of me... MY point, is just to said that modifying someone's hard work would be disrespectful enough.. Bluejeff doesnt mind ppl sharing his pictures but just to make sure that his name below wasnt deleted...

The word 'steal' wasn't right here, because BluJeff's pictures was meant to be shared, It means it's alright mikemike to take his pictures, but not erasing his name n website

You must be someone who never use pirated software to make such remarks to me

#57 hara^kazuko, Jun 25, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  18. mikemike

mikemike Regular Member

boss
    #58 mikemike, Jun 25, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  19. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    I agree with your basic concept in general. But as I used to use a lot of priated software and in fact, I still do with that CD authoring software in my computer and I admit the guilt, I wouldn't be able to criticise someone else for doing it and make righteous comments since its mea culpa one way or another.

The person who misused Bluejeff's pictures knows what he is doing. Its up to Bluejeff to deal with it the way he deems right.

20. elwin81

elwin81 Regular Member

Thank you mike for sharing the link. It is indeed a very resourceful site for photography.

Are you personally a photograher or a it is just a hobby? Do you just take sport's picture only?