what to do in doubles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by calfunz, Mar 9, 2006.

1. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I was just wondering why you'd go for a drive when you're in the position to smash. Surely you don't let the bird drop so that you can hit it across flatly when you're able to hit it downwards?

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Quite right. All the placing shots you make should be about creating opportunities for you or your partner to smash or netkill. If you let one juicy lift go, you probably arrive there too late do make any serious shot. Time to revise your footwork when that's the case:(.

3. calfunz

calfunz Regular Member

student
    my favourite shot in doubles is probaboly, they serve to me i put it to mid court alley inbetween then, the front guy tries to go for it only returning it sometimes, and even if he does its a bad return, so if the front guy goes for it then the back guy wont, so if he misses or screws up then they are done, or the best is when they both go for it, and lift it or drop i can put it to the opposite side because im already their, this shot can create many oppurtunities, are their any more that can do stuff liek this? please share:)

4. burnick02!

burnick02! New Member

Employee

I strongly agree with you calfunz... placing the birdie in between them (by smash, clear or drive) has a lot of chance creating errors for your opponents which creates opportunity on your side. We are doing this when we see our opponents lose their defense and composure. Have done this in one of our local tourneys. We comibined this shot while swiping the corners for 3 times... then place the shot in the middle... The Result: one of them broke his racquet... big time!!!

5. superstar19

superstar19 Regular Member

i think if your smash is getting picked up 70% of the time, then you are not varying the shots! try flat smash, half smashes, steep spashes, placement smashes to the body!

6. calfunz

calfunz Regular Member

student
    haha went u get into smashes all u think of is power power, not working? more power

7. superstar19

superstar19 Regular Member

hahaha tell me about it!!!!! but why are we so stupid??? cause i remember one tournement i smashed the darn thing until my shoulder almost fell off!!!lmao

8. BananaOfDoom

BananaOfDoom Regular Member

Student
    I definitely agree with the attacking clear. But make sure it's the most deceptive attacking clear you have, which means explosive body power.

9. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    okay - my two cents - i don't have an almighty killer power smash or much of a jump smash.

how do i win rally's when i'm being kept at the back or my partner is too weak to come back (a'la mixed)

Deception - deception is the key.

all this talk of attacking clears is great - if you can make you drop shots, smashes and clears look identical in their preparation - especially your clears / drop then your onto a winner.

check-smashes also work great, or even slices. the later your opponent has to move the more likely you are to get a lift that even the worst smasher (aka - me) can finish off.

NB - these tactics are far from conventional - the conventional route would be to work on your smash technique to make it so that you can punch holes in them. and also to get your partner to work on his interceptions at the front.. or at least make him intimidate the opposition.

all done.

enjoy

Coops

10. joonu

joonu Regular Member

executive
    Hi Calfunz,
    I understand from your description that your opponennts are familiar with your movements and you don't get full support from your partner.May be I am wrong.
    Try quick clears and half smashes landing inside the short service line at irregular interwells.Then your smashes between your opponents and down the alleys will get good result.
    Try to improve your foot workand add power to your smashes.

#70 joonu, Jul 12, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2006