Lets vote for New or Old point system.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by terry, Sep 20, 2005.

?

Which scoring system do you prefer?

1. Old 15x3 service based scoring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. New 21x3 rally based scoring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm, i don't need(and don't want to go) and re-read whatever letter IBF's president wrote regarding the NSS. :p And i know you are not speaking for IBF, however in this whole thread, you seemed to be quite a strong supporter for it,arguably the ONLY 1 standing up for it, for whatever reasons you may have(which you mentioned above).
    I understand what you are trying to say above, but if you say that the OSS is basically "justice delayed with a false promise of a coming point which may not materialize, and justice delayed is justice denied", then why in the world did it take 30-40+ yrs. for Mr. Gunalan and his cohort to realize this and decide to change to a NSS??..Don't tell us IBF has never thought about this..:rolleyes:
    BTW, regarding your comment above which i've highlighted in bold, well, all i know since the first inception of this NSS this yr, i still haven't seen any real surprises/upsets or sorts with the world's top players. Esp. WS and WDs are still owned by CHN..Will it change??Well, i'm sure you probably know the answer..:rolleyes:

#661 ctjcad, Jun 13, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  2. Chai

Chai Regular Member

import export
    I cant really comprehend or appreciate your "bizzare" reasons; it is fortunate that IBF is not on the same page as you in term of the reasons and majority of contributors here are just normal badminton players that have enjoyed playing badminton with the 3X15 system.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Chai, as you know in any game if you cannot win a point, you will try to make it difficult for your opponent to score a point off you. In the above game you mentioned, what would happen if LCW had resorted to the alternative to his low serve? He would probably get close to a duck. His choice in choosing the lower serve was the lesser of two evils-high or low.
    Also when two attacking players play each other one will win and the other lose, but both will use the low serve as a weapon of choice. Losing the game is not a reflection of the low serve not being an initiator of an attacking game.

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I have been told, quite often, I sometimes walk alone and do not follow the crowd. But I do have a knack, maybe luck, to get a crowd to follow me, in areas that may surprise you.:D

5. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

The Pied Piper of Hamlyn had that knack. All the rats followed him. Then all the children. But none of the adults.

Funny that.

6. Chai

Chai Regular Member

import export
    Please watch the game!

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, I have all the TC semi-finals and final on my dvd recorder hard disk.

8. Chai

Chai Regular Member

import export
    You are very "bizzare"; nothing personal. Don't you know most single players opt for low serve prior to the introduction of 3X21?

Both server and receiver like to initiate the attack; however who has better hand to initiate the better attack?

Two tactical pointers for you(It is a free gift not charging fee)
    1. Do you know the reason of why a high serve give the receiver a better opportunity to dictate the rally?

2.Do you know if you smash from the basline; it will take longer time and deccelerate fast in hitting the floor of the opponent's court in comparing to tap down the shuttlecock near the net?

I read the argument of perfect serve; the term itself is completely rubbish; sorry if i have offended many by saying that. Badminton is not a bowling; please remember you have your opponent on the other side of the net. You can do your "perfect" low serve; just slightly over the net; however if it is predictable then your opponent could just reach for the net and tap it down easily. Please watch and analyse Lin Dan's service and Lee Chong Wei's service againt Peter Gade.

Technically LCW's backhand low serve is superior to Lin Dan, in TC LCW only deployed backhand low serve and backhand flick. Lin Dan; technically his service is very akward; in TC he deployed backhand low serve and backhand flick serve; forehand low serve, forehand drive/flick service, forehand lob service against PG. Who is more unpredicatble and more effective in service in TC against PG ?

Am I right to say that you didnt watch TC games and you have never played any single game in the local tournement other than at your local club evenings?

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

It has been announced that all schools and all competitions in Hong Kong will have to switch to the NSS from July 1, 2006.

10. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

You are just expressing your personal preference for NSS, nothing more. Just as 85% of the people in this forum is against it.

11. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

Are they really unaware? Very possible they are aware but do not care two hoot about NSS and the IBF.

12. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

If your posts is any indication of the way you 'persuade' the crowd, I would not be surprise they follow you just to keep you out of their hair:D

13. viver

viver Regular Member

Personally, I think it is useless to argue with taneepak here. He has interesting views and resonings even on the technical side which goes against the normal and accepted trend - at least in the service area. I feel he knows he does not have a case or points to argue, at some point in his posts he agreed that problem with badminton popularity does not lie with the scoring format. He might just have too much time.

He mentioned he has the ability to make the crowd follow him, he might be right. He has us here to entertain him.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Let us look at it this way re this thread. In the beginning I have a feeling I was close to a minority of one. Today it is certainly higher than one. Tomorrow, well tomorrow will be more than just a passing day-the trend will one day make this original minority of one to a majority, at least in Hong Kong where things will be set in motion from July 1 to make this happen sooner than later.
    This thread is now a bit outdated as the die has been cast and set in stone. There is no use crying over spilt milk. Maybe something more useful and constructive can take its place, like something on how to adapt to the NSS. Just a suggestion.

15. viver

viver Regular Member

Well, tomorrow the poor guys will play something of a version of the full 15x3 badminton. They will never learn what was needed to play the true game of badminton.

To popularize the 21x3, just need to practice the net play and smash. Service is irrelevant as receiver can score points. Defensive skills are low priority since serve in not the only way to get points.

Long live the 21x3, the handicap version of 15x3 badminton system.

Happy? :rolleyes:

#675 viver, Jun 13, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  16. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    HOHOHO,

seems like I have been missing all the fun! This is defo a good read tho I've not the oppourtunity (yet) to go thru the entire past 38 'pages'!

17. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    I was just pointing out that changing the scorring system is not the answer.

18. Chai

Chai Regular Member

import export
    Agree, and I try to point out the term popular and No 1 racket is not objective and very loose. What if it is the only racket game play in a desert island with 3 habitants; with 1 play badminton and the other 2 play football!

19. viver

viver Regular Member

And we are still waiting for the numbers that shown the dramatic popularity increase with the scoring format change in table tennis and volleyball. The change did happen for quite some time already - more than 5 years(?) I think, and by now the results should be evident. Can anybody - 21x3 supporters, provide any information of the popularity levels then and now.

Problem is, I don't even notice that table tennis and volleyball are shown on Canadian TV. Not even on 2 dedicated sports channels that I subscribe.

20. Pball

Pball Regular Member

Nicely said, and just about the gist of what I feel...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.