Indonesian Players - English/Chinese Names

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by EastDevil, Jun 4, 2006.

1. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

yeah you are right, e.g. Goh became Gozali, Lim became Halim, Wee became Wijaya, Tan became Tanu, etc ....... mostly depended on the dialect.

2. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

Y they arent using their chinese names on courts?

3. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    indonesian chinese people often use 'wijaya, hartono, gunawan, susanto' as their indonesia name :D

'susanto' ( in chinese) == ???? (in indonesia)

4. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    The chinese commentators will use their chinese name. For normal cases, the "official" name applies, I guess. It might not go down too well with the general public if most of the players in the national team bears chinese names and somebody might call indonesia another china team?

5. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

yup .......... china even ever threatened to claim the player as their citizen (remember Hendrawan case in 2002 Thomas Cup ?) .....

Alven = ar feng
    Luluk = lu luke
    Taufik = to fee ke
    Icuk Sugiarto = cu jia to

I'm not chinese, but there are still a discrimination for Indo-chinese ...... e.g. they are not allowed to register their birth certificate if use chinese name, should use Indonesian name instead.
    Maybe in the big cities (Jakarta, Surabaya, Medan, etc) they can register their chinese name, but not in the small cities.

6. madturtle

madturtle Regular Member

I don't think ronald susilo has a chinese name to start with. his was chosen by li jia wei

7. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    I thought he had one and it was changed to this new one.

8. sukmawan21

sukmawan21 Regular Member

can u translate rian sukmawan? thanks.. :)

9. muziqalicious

muziqalicious Regular Member

well....as far as i know, alven's real name is "alvent yulianto chandra" (that's with t) and his chinese name should be "a er wen" and not "ar feng"..:)

10. badMania

badMania Regular Member

That is right...but..its only a direct translation from his Indonesian name. I still don't know what's his real Chinese Name. The same goes for other current Indonesian-Chinese players such as Hendra Setiawan, Jo Novita, Simon Santoso, etc.

As for Eng Hian = Xu Yong Xian.

Other ex-Indonesians currently based in HKG:
    Agus Hariyanto = Lin Guang Yi
    Albertus Susanto Njoto = Yang Li Feng
    Yohan Wiratama Hadikusumo = Kui Ren Jun

11. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

thanx bro ....... I'm not Chinese lor ...... so just wrote down what I heard.

e.g. previously I thought it was Lin Tan in-fact it is Lin Dan.
    Indo ppl who do not speak China as like me (incl. most of all reporters) will pronounce a full "D" and not half "D" (sound between "D" and "T")

12. kimpe_bultang

kimpe_bultang Regular Member

hmmm, athlete and student
    That's not so true... Their names are usually given by their grandparents.. Usually, grandpa... My cousin is Wijaya too, but their her surname's Wu.. Hah!! That's diff frm Candra Wijaya.. All i know is that, surnames cnt just be translated to the chinese surnames just like that.. Diff family, has diff Chns surnames.. Hehe, Ko Candra is called Ah Liang when he was small.. My uncle told me that, and he is especially very naughty!! Broke things, and everything!! Hahaha, tghtr with Ko Indra and my uncle... :p :D It's very funny when my uncle and dad tell me about their childhood days, esp those with the 2 elder Wijaya's siblings.. Indra and Candra..

13. Trang

Trang Regular Member

Can someone explain exactly what it means by 'chinese-indonesians'. Is it because chinese people have immigrated in to Indonesia or ? :)
    I've only heard about malay-indonese, but I don't know their relation in that matter.

14. aindro

aindro Regular Member

IT programmer
  15. Trang

Trang Regular Member

16. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Actually, over 90% of Indonesians are genetically and historically descendants of migrants from Yunnan [a province of China]. Even the Indonesian history curriculum admit to this. They migrated thousands of years ago.

Thus... Indonesians are actually Chinese. :D Ok, maybe not "Han" Chinese, but Chinese... :D

17. Trang

Trang Regular Member

What I know of they're from malaysian origin.

18. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Absolutely true, there's still 'unfair situation' for Chinese-Indo in smaller scale (although INA's government have grounded some regulations about discrimination of Chinese ethnic).

Hendrawan called Megawati (RI's President at that time) to issued his SBKRI (Surat Bukti Kewarganegaraan Republik Indonesia) in use of proving his citizenship status. It's very irony, even national athletes still need SBKRI for that ridiculuous reason. Rather same story also happened to Tong Sin Fu (former INA bdm coach who was born in Lampung,Southern Sumatera), he failed after long-journey to get INA citizenship because another illogical sense, and at the end Tong back to China.

Many Chinese-Indo generally have 2 names -- Indonesian name (in birth certificate for formal interest) and Chinese name (for informal use/nickname). I guess every INA shuttler (incl. non Chinese ethnic) get Chinese name that given by China Press/Journalist, I often hear they call TH w/ Tao Fei G(K)e -- hmm quite similar sounds/pronounciation that really creative.

19. Trang

Trang Regular Member

Quite odd about TH that they give names to him since he's not a chinese-indonese .. I don't guess so .. is he ? :D
    I've read that most of the chinese-indonese are not moslems and with people with western names are because they most likely are Christians, but there are of course always exceptions etc.

20. sugar_free

sugar_free Regular Member

University Student (Dentistry)
    True, most of Chinese-Indonesians are not Moslems, but some of them are (there is also a community of Chinese-Indonesian Moslems here)... Most of them are either Buddhist, Catholic, or Christian... In my university, about 75% of the total amount of the Buddhist-Catholics-Christians are Chinese-Indonesians. Besides, students in most of Christian or Catholic schools in Indonesia are Chinese descendants. Western names are available on the younger generations (like me :D ), maybe its because the influence of Western culture in movie, education, religion, etc. But the Indonesian name of Chinese-Indonesians sometimes could be easily recognized as a Chinese-Indonesians', and it is quite different from the pure Indonesians' name...

Btw, Tomorrow (Monday 25/2), 17.30 WIB on Metro TV, there will be some kind of documentary film (Metro Files), titled 'Smash'... The documentary will be about the journey of Chinese-Indonesian shuttlers in the world of badminton... *Badminton fanatics in Indonesia, don't miss it :D * ... There are lots of recent program about Chinese-Indonesian shuttlers lately, the latest is probably 'Padamu Negeri' where shuttlers and ex-shuttlers from Komunitas Bulutangkis Indonesia participate in a discussion about the discrimination in Indonesia.... I saw Candra Wijaya, Hendrawan, Tan Joe Hok, Ade Candra, Verawati, Imelda Wiguna, etc. *I think I saw Arbi too*.