Lets vote for New or Old point system.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by terry, Sep 20, 2005.

?

Which scoring system do you prefer?

1. Old 15x3 service based scoring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. New 21x3 rally based scoring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. viver

viver Regular Member

Chris,

Not only you, but myself am quite good with the spinning-serve. The spinning-serve was part of my first 3 strokes training routine. I have won doubles tournaments just because of my S-serve.

Contrary to you, I did agree with the banning of the s-serve. In international doubles we could see the pattern - serve, lift and smash. In truth, the s-serve was the only one that comes close to what you described as the 'perfect' serve. But badminton as a spectacle suffered, being most of the times limited to 3 strokes: serve, lift and smash.

After the spinning serve was banned, I just reverted back to my normal backhand serve. Never complained about the banning of the spinning serve.

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It will be interesting to find out if we amateurs are switching to the NSS or still playing the OSS. There are still many players who are completely lost with the NSS. With more Open Championships now using the NSS viewers will have an opportunity to get to know the NSS better. Over time the OSS will fade from the scene. A time will come when the OSS will be just memories.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

People have opinions that may be different from each other.
    However, re whether badminton will survive with the introduction of the NSS, my personal opinion is that it will not only survive, it will push badminton to a more global game and make it one of the very top games in the Olympics. Others may disagree. Time will tell.

4. viver

viver Regular Member

It's good that I have my own opinion. At least I am not like a guy here that said the change is good because it is a change. When asked what he liked about the change, the answer was 'because is a change and change is good'. Excellent justification.

So far opinions favor the 15x3 system much more than the absurd 21x3 system. Even casual players mentioned this scoring change is stupid - why have to figth to get the serve back to get smashed at my face and still lose a point? Really stupid change.

And I fully agree with their sentiments. Like somebody suggested, they should also change the name of the game, since the the foundations is changed. Soon we'll see the game pattern; serve; push/drop; lift and smash.

Anybody watched the interview by Li Yongbo before the voting of the absurd scoring system. Somebody told me that Li Yongbo spoke against the 21x3 system - just like to have some confirmation.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    One of Li Yongbo's comments

Here is one of Li's interviews.

http://www.girlstalksports.com/Other-Team-Sports/Others/Badminton-rule-changes-don%92t-worry-China-much-20051219529/

He thought the changes were rash even though it could be more attractive to television and live audiences.

Cheers... chris@ccc

6. viver

viver Regular Member

Thanks for the link.

7. ijnek

ijnek Regular Member

engineer
    i prefer the new system.
    reason so bcos it makes the game faster n really need to concentrate on the plays.
    also avoid making mistakes.

8. Chai

Chai Regular Member

import export
    It is a myth to imply that the 3x15 is slow and you dont need continuous concentration; however it is more demanding to stay focus and keep the pace going as the game gets longer but that is the beauty of the game; a challenge to one's limit!

It is the players who decide if the games should be slow or fast; the 3X15 provide the room for the players to expand their game rather than restrict them!

Multi dimensional game is always better than one dimensional game

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Thank you taneepak for your support

Hi taneepak,

Thank you for your support. We do not want Badminton to be kicked out by the International Olympic Committee.

I know...... playing the game and promoting the game are 2 different issues. Unfortunately, I am involved in both of them. And I do not want Badminton to follow Baseball's/Softball's fate.

Most of the readers here are players. Promotion of Badminton is not of importance.

But when I heard this news;
    " In the congress meeting of the International Olympic Committee last July, baseball and softball was dropped from the schedule of the 2012 Olympic Games in London as they failed to receive a majority required to stay on the program in a secret vote by the IOC.

The reports for each 28 existing sports were made earlier under several aspects where the quantity of viewers played a big role.
    It has been revealed that badminton is just in the brink of eliminating in that vote
    ." **
    I knew we cannot sit like frogs in a well. We have to do something.

But can NSS be the Savior of Badminton? We will have to wait and see. I believe more changes are required because many existing players find NSS hard to accept.

Cheers... chris@ccc

** Extract from http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-03/13/content_4298351_1.htm

10. Chai

Chai Regular Member

import export
    May be it is not fair to say that, but the news has seemed to confirm the suspicios that IBF has taken a knee jerk action to ensure that badminton is remained in Olympic, after all Olympic funding is the main revenue of IBF as per their financial statement.

I suppose IBF will be bankrupted if badminton is excluded from Olympic, surely it should be now a top priority of how to make IBF profitable even without the Olympic funding.

11. kanive

kanive Regular Member

We have to "wait and see?" Are you suggesting that, after all this heartburn, after alienating the vast majority of their most committed base, after stunting who knows how many careers, this was all really only a fishing expedition? A shot in the dark? That they didn't really think it through? Did the IOC demand that the scoring system be changed? (If so, why? What do they know anything about badminton that they feel they can make such a judgement? And even if they did, then just do that for the olympics, for gods sake.)

What other changes can they do now? OK, let's see, how about removing the feathers, making the cork larger, and letting it bounce? and allow overhead serves from the baseline? and while we're at it, change the name to volleycock? or beach tennis?

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Hi kanive,

You are from Boston, MA, in the Baseball Region. How are you Baseball players/associations planning to do now that Baseball is dropped from the Olympics... I mean how to bring Baseball back into popularity.

Badminton might be able to learn something from Baseball on this matter.

Cheers... chris@ccc

13. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

I'm not altogether sure that baseball needs the Olympics.

14. kanive

kanive Regular Member

Good question. Honestly, I don't think anybody has even noticed. :cool:

They had a World Baseball Championships early this spring, and it was extremely unpopular with MLB. The Yankees even went to the extent of apologizing to their fans because some of their star players had to be absent from spring training games. Spring training! And since then, there has been a constant low-level bitching going on about how their pitchers are worn out, they really should have stuck with spring training, yada yada yada. So that tells you what they might think about the Olympics. That, and the fact that they call their national championship (we will ignore the Toronto Blue Jays for the moment) the World Series.

I will keep a lookout for news hoopla about it. You are right, there may be something we can learn from this. Though, of course, badminton is not close to being as rich as baseball.

15. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

Interesting...Badminton survive only by a hairline from IOC's vote. Does anyone knows about the badminton turn out rate during Olympic? Just wondering what will happen to badminton/NSS if IOC decided to drop badminton off Olympic.:mad:

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    if the NSS could expose badminton to more people around the globe then it wouldn't be for a lost cause. Just like how chinese food had to be 'modified' to gain popularity in the west like we have today. I'm sure the traditional diehards would cringe of hearing dishes like chop suey and those sweet and sour thingy.

17. Chai

Chai Regular Member

import export
    Sure, still many people continue to eat "proper" chinese meals everyday! and doing take away of chop suey once in a while!

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Here's my 2 cents on this..

I know i've touched on this issue before, but it was on a different thread...but just for this particular comment, i have a link which is an example of it..see post #41:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=392819#post392819
    Imagine, those playing in the tourney are amateurs, semi-pros, and ex-pros...I know it's not a certified IBF event, but if the NSS was so "simple" as they said, how came a tournament like that still uses/prefer the OSS...Don't tell me those participating will be "left behind" or "heh, it's no surprise, they're using the OSS in the good ole U.S./Land of the lost the American continent"..:rolleyes:
    I guess, all the current IBF players are basically using the NSS *out of necessity* and most likely to the benefit of the IBF council...:p :rolleyes: :(

#578 ctjcad, Jun 8, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

This case is not unique. There was a local district tournament in my area recently and they had to use the OSS because most of the players, except for one HK player and a few advanced players, didn't have a clue about how to play the NSS. The players were told that the NSS actually was announced a year ago, but none seemed to know how to play it although they have heard about it from other players and from various Chinese badminton internet forums. I think the phasing in of the NSS for amateurs was too abrupt. Maybe coaches and clubs were not too keen to do that, until its too late.

20. B Kwok

B Kwok Regular Member

Student
    I am in Favour of the Old System and I'm quite saddened by the fact that the Ontario Badminton Association as of Jun 4th has decided to adopt the 21 rally point system. I was reading is and it's retarded especially in doubles. I guess I will try it but it seems as if they are trying too hard. 15 points was a distinguishing factor for badminton and now they are making it seem as variation of tennis as ping pong is. Just putting my two sense in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.