Fully blasted smashes vs Angled

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Sunsgambit, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Sunsgambit

Sunsgambit Regular Member

Student
    Personally i like to use angled, whippy smashes more often becaue they make people move to get them and use up less energy.

I'd like to get other people's thoughts on this.

2. olle_whitehead

olle_whitehead Regular Member

depends on the situation for example if i have hit a few smashes straight at the person i may hit an angled shot to try and catch them unaware i may even vary the height and power of the smash as all too often players get stuck using the same motion to defend a smash that when something new happens they simply cant move off their base

remember if you hit an angled smash it has to be a winner in singles because you are painfully exposing your backhand side. ie if it goes wrong you end up with a flat drive right into the backhand corner

3. sala_ryan

sala_ryan New Member

Student
    Well..I use angled smash more to keep my opponent on the run..and most of the time you get a weak reply, and then I smash at their body...well im 41-59 on defense-offense...

4. olle_whitehead

olle_whitehead Regular Member

sorry but i feel this must be said at any good standard of badminton you should be able to defend a smash unless its relatively close to the net therefore the angled smash should result in a low drive down your backhand side or forehand side depending on what side you hit the smash

5. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    Variety is the spice of life, chaps. You absolutely need both and everything in between unless you want to get caught out, and one day you will. There are tacticians in the world of badminton just waiting to pick on predictability, no matter what kind of quality the smash is.

"Angle vs power" doesn't tell the whole story, of course. As you learn more about the game you find ways of contriving attacking opportunities simply by what part of the body you smash at and by breaking the rhythm of play, and this will be slightly different for each opponent you face. When you have played a particular opponent long enough you will establish..."routines" isn't the correct word (as this implies predictability), but perhaps little "procedures" that hit on the weak spots of your opponent and return scenarios that are strongly in your favour.

You can't just choose one "type" of smash, otherwise you'll be punished.

6. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    You gotta use it all in your game, both types of smashes can have their advantages and disadvantages. Power smashes 1st off well its power so theres a good chance you can blast it right by them but the disadvantage is yes it will use up alot of your evergy and if they are use to the speed then returing it would be no problem and well if they can repedily return it up and you keep smashing your tiering yourself out more. Thats a smash to the body but if its a power smash to the sides thats more effective as well since they have to reach out to it but due to the speed might not be able to get it...but you might run the risk of hitting it out.

Angled smashes are very handy as they can be used to move the opponent around the court and to set yourself up for a winning shot. You do run the risk of hitting it into the net however if your not the most consistant.

Both have their advantages, in doubles its about power and setting your partner up for a kill at the net or beaking through their defence by throwing in some drops/high angled smashes. In singles you want to move them around and all so if you blas a few at them and they dig into a defensive position and you throw an angled smash at them well they might not be able to get it since they dug themselfs into the defensive position while recieving your power smashes. All in all move them around and make your opponent tired not yourself.

7. setaa

setaa Regular Member

fully blasted angled smash :D

8. Sunsgambit

Sunsgambit Regular Member

Student
    Lol, while fully powered angle smashes are nice, only a select few in the world can do that, one of them being the current world number one mens champion.

Indeed, i agree that you need to vary the types of smashes, but which one should i use more, i tend to use jumping whipped smashes more in singles (hugging the lines mind you) and all out jump smashes in doubles.

I may resort to a standing smash every now and again, but that is getting rarer and rarer

9. dkroft

dkroft Regular Member

student
    i try to avoid jumping smashes if possible because if i jump and hit it fast, and they return it, i get a late start since i'm in the air and i'm basically even more screwed, you know?

10. setaa

setaa Regular Member

yeah, huge smash is like a double edged sword. thus, make sure u use the facing-away-from-you edge everytime u pull it out :D

11. dkroft

dkroft Regular Member

student
    (ba-dum...ching!)

12. jwcdis

jwcdis Regular Member

Student
    lol you just read my mind, nothing feels better than a full blasted smash. Add angle to it for the insurance lol

13. jerby

jerby Regular Member

what abotu option C..wich is like

"I'm gonna smahs it as hard as I can, but some angle would be nice"

mostly in single I go angled, and very close to the sidelines (relative to my level of play:p )In doubles the 2-player court coverage kinda defeats the purpose of smashign so close to the line... so when i'm attacking it's mostly a sequence like "blast threw middle, blast threw middle, sharp at the side" or "blast middle, sharp drop"

14. setaa

setaa Regular Member

hey, u put it better that way. i like the "insurance" part :p

if u smash hard but easy angle, they just gonna stand there and block it
    if u smash not as hard but good angle, sometimes they just need to step aside and block it
    but if u smash hard and good angle, they gotta dive :p

#14 setaa, Jun 9, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  15. RevoWithin

RevoWithin Regular Member

pharmacy undergraduate
    ya ya ! depends the situation u choose which type of smashes !
    just like lifting, there is a high clear one and a low attacking type one...
    there is just variety in badminton game !! thats makes it so special oh ~~~

16. joetheshow

joetheshow Regular Member

Fulltime day dreamer
    generally i think it is better to aim for a more angled smash than a full power smash, however, given the probability of producing a unforced error is significantly higher, so give or take...

from the little experience that i have, i find that during a badminton rally, especially in singles, the best shot to play when u're attack would be a shot that does two things - to force a weaker returned and/or to manuveur your opponent, provided that you not in position to produce an instant winner.

picture a scenario where u're smashing from the baseline, that you smash is unlikely to produce an instant winner. rather than using lots of energy to make a full power smash, an angled smash would be preferred.

As long as u don't smash into ur opponent's racquet head, a full powered smash will generally put him on defence. However, it does not take Fu Hai Feng's 330km/h smash to put your opponent into a defensive position, rather, a well angled smash with enough speed in the shuttle (faster than ur fast drop) will also put your opponent into defence (longer time to react to a farthur shot = shorter time to react to a close shot), and at the sametime, it will slightly manuveur your opponent out of base position, or even force him to be off balance.

To quote the all time great Zhao Jian Hua on strokes - "to use the least amount of energy to produce the best results", which explains why his famous smash winners are almost all non-full power angled smashes.

newbie here, please don't mind/flame my newbie inputs :D

17. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    I think it's a question of being able to master all the strokes and then probing your opponent to see their weaknesses. I remember in the recent Commonwealth Games LCW realised that Aamir Ghaffar was weak on his return of crosscourt smashes and so LCW went on to use his crosscourt smashes to devastating effect. On another player though, LCW would probably not have used so many crosscourt smashes.

18. Sze Huang

Sze Huang Regular Member

Unemployed
    An full blasted smash to the back corners would make your opponent lunge for the shot , in resulting him losing balance then creates opportunity for you to drop at the net or do a fake drop-then clear if you noticed him moving to the front before you execute a net drop.It is of course best to do a cross-court net drop which is opposite direction of the opponent's location ( Either of the two back corners ) . Usually a full blasted smash right into your opponent's body would force him to react really fast which may lead yourself into a tight spot if he caught you off guard.As he may clear the shot , if he sees you running to the net ready to offense , or you are freezed on a spot far from a unguarded place at the net (This may be caused by slow reaction time , reflex , or unability to guess your opponent's moves) . Though if you hit a full blasted smash towards your opponent's waist level on his racquet wielding hand would make him really struggle to return a nice shot ( A vital point , I would say ) , he won't be able to clear properly which could even result a half court clear , he shouldn't be able to execute a proper drop since his wrist's curled at a weird angle making him feeling akward.Those are the pros of full blasted smash as I know of.

Next would be about Angled Smashes , the main objective of an angled smash is to force your opponent to net-play. A really sharp angled smash can deceive the eyes of your opponent where they see asif the shuttlecock went through the net causing late assumptions of the shuttle's position in play.An angled smash is best played after a full blasted smash if possible as this make your opponent unable to guess your shots.Of course , in order to execute these , a very fine form of stroke is needed as it may sound easy on the ears , your body may not exactly function to what is heard.Back to the point , angled smashes starts off a safe play rather than a full blasted smash. The differences of the two in terms of safe play is that , a full blasted smash could result lost of body balance and especially dangerous while smashing towards an opponent whose reflexes are superior. While an angled smash starts off making your opponent struggle to get a shot resulting either a clear of a net drop ( cross-court drops are threatening as they have slight camouflage because of the net , you may not be able to assume their shots properly , as even slight minor movements could deceive your eyes. So be wary of this. ). When your opponent falls for it , start hitting a clear or a really tight cross-court drop ( not advisable as the possiblity of it being sucessfully in is quite low , needs superior technique) , then your opponent would leave quite some open spaces , he may either drop or not likely (still there is possibility) clear the clear .

Well , that's what I think of the both. I figured what I said so far should have some loopholes. Feel free to correct them , and hello to all BCBF members ! ;)