Travelling with your badminton racket!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by boyboy, Jun 17, 2002.

1. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Didn't I mention my story of 27 rackets with me on board? :D
    (Gotta use "search" to dig it out :p)

2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Did you put them in racquet bags like the 3 bag ones or something. Was the size limit of the bag allowed? Just wondering did you keep the bag in the overhead compartment in the plane or did you ask the steward / stewardess to hold the racquets for you.

3. annab

annab Regular Member

Web developer and entrepreneur
    Where, bluejeff, where is that thread? ;)

Would love to read it!

Anna

4. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    When flying in US and Canada, the airlines are enforcing the rule on the maximum size of the carry-on luggage.
    With one badminton racket, it just fits the carry-on size. However, if you are using the Black Knight Tournament bag and has 3-4 racquets in it, they will not let you carry it into the cabin.
    You are better off to follow LazyBuddy's suggestion and use a hard luggage case (like a Samsonite).
    I recently just flied from Saskatchewan to Alberta and Ontario, and the racquets were fine (when stored in a hard luggage case).

5. Feet-Of-Flames

Feet-Of-Flames New Member

I've travelled on half a dozen internal flights in the US and never had a problem carrying my racquets onboard. I'm using a Black Knight tournament bag with the racquets in the middle section. I pack clothes in the two compartments either side but make sure its not too full so that I can still get it in an overhead locker. No one's stopped me yet....;)

6. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    Information from Cathay Pacific website:
    http://www.cathay-usa.com/beforeyoufly/travelprep.asp

There have been recent enhancements to security measures at airports around the world. In light of these changes, the following information is designed to help you prepare for your trip. Your safety and security are priorities for Cathay Pacific Airways.

When packing your luggage:

It is recommended that passengers limit their carry-on luggage to one piece. The following items are now prohibited as carry-on and will be confiscated:
    All knives
    Any sharp and/or pointed objects
    Replica or toy weapons
    Corkscrews
    Fireworks
    Sporting equipment, such as golf clubs, hockey sticks, ski poles, squash and tennis racquets, ice skates, baseball bats and pool cues In addition, do not bring any wrapped packages.

Please be advised that you should always travel with photo identification and a passport is required for international flights and is recommended for U.S.-bound flights.

For more information, please visit the Transportation Security Administration web site.

7. Ian Davies

Ian Davies Regular Member

Softwware Engineer
    Airports and raquets

All,

I'm working in Stockholm for a while and am due fly back to the UK for the weekend.

I was thinking about taking my badminton raquet back with me and putting it in my rucksack and taking it as hand-luggage.

I'm flying with ryanair and have been on their website. Sporting equipment they say you should be booked in (like golf clubs etc.) but nothing about smaller stuff esecially like raquets.

Has anybody had any experience with ryanair.

If so I might just by a half decent raquet out here and cargo it back to the UK when I come back.

Many thanks

8. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Does ryanair have a webpage (i know it's a dumb question)? they should have a policy on carry on luggage. if not the airports your commuting between should have webpages with their security policy.

i know i canada that domestic flights allow badminton rackets. Never tried flying with rackets outside of canada though. I think there was a thread regarding this. Try searching for it.

good luck

9. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

When I travel, I quite often see people carrying tennis racquets on board. Well, I should say full tennis racquet covers, because I don't really know what's inside. I assume, since they pass security, that they really do contain tennis racquets. :)

So, I'd imagine badminton racquets being even smaller than tennis racquets would be allowed into the cabin as well.

Of course, I'm referring to 2--3 racquets here. If you're carrying dozens, then that could very well be a different matter.

10. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

The last time I checked, badminton rackets are permitted since it is classified as fragile items. I have carried them with me in North America's flight. I would not put those high price rackets to 'check-in'.:mad:

11. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    How many rackets did you carry on with you? (Planning a LONG trip back to asia)

I have heard from China Airlines that it is the customs who allow or disallow you from taking rackets onto the plane and that usually if it's 2 or under they will allow you but not over that amount. (thus Im curious)

12. jwcdis

jwcdis Regular Member

Student
    airplanes

well im guessing they would want you to be limited to 2 because they might think you would resell them overseas. but usually you're allowed to bring 2-3 luggages (usually 1 roller and one carry bag) so im guessing the carrybag would be the badminton racquet.

well if you're rich enough you can be like Andy Roddick where he got his trophy his own seat. XD falling on his head from lugagge compartment

13. Ian Davies

Ian Davies Regular Member

Softwware Engineer
    I tried their website but nothing of note about raquets. They have plenty about blunt objects like cricket and baseball bat.

Might try and ask at the Stanstead office as I'm flying in there in a few Fridays time.

I'll only be transporting 2 raquets as I'm only an amateur player, but being over here I miss my tri-weekly fix.

We'll see how it goes - cheers for all your advice and I'll keep an eye out for some more.

I

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    When you call them, usually the answer is NO carry on for rackets. Even though, only tennis rackets being listed at times, but they will still tell you NO. Also, 1 operator used to remind me as, the airport security can also force you to give up your racket, even if the airline does not enforce it.

So, if you travel oversea, and want a conservative approach (rather than crying at the last min as your checkin already gone, and they don't let you carry on rackets), here's what I do: Get a large enough luggage, put tons of clothes inside, and "sandwich" your rackets in the middle. I used this method quite a few times during my vancouver trips, and each time the rackets survived. ;)

15. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    wooden box

I have had bad experiences with airlines and racquets, notablely my last trip to USA for World Chaps - when they told me I couldn't take them as carry on, only to find on the way back some girl on another flight was taking a tennis racquet on.

They told me it is a security concern since some one can break a racquet and then use the broken shaft as a weapon.

To overcome this for my trip to Japan, for Thomas Cup, I had a wooden box made to carry two racquets and then put this in my bag for check in.

16. jwcdis

jwcdis Regular Member

Student
    "They told me it is a security concern since some one can break a racquet and then use the broken shaft as a weapon."

that is ridiculous any racquet can be used as a weapon why was the girl with the tennis racquets allowed to hold them for you?

17. Jay Scott

Jay Scott Regular Member

Student
    When I last went on holiday to Cyprus, I phoned Thomas Cook Airlines office at manchester airport and they said a badminton racket is no problem, I cannot guarentee Ryanair will have the same policy but it's likely their policies will be similar as they are both UK based charter airlines.

18. other

other Regular Member

Student
    harder to break the tennis racquet at the shaft :D

still it's a bit silly
    you can use anything on the plane as a weapon...the earphone wires, the bottles of wine....

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Actually, that's the reason they give to me, as badminton racket is more fragile. I almost asked, so, we should never carry any pen/pencil, as they are sharper to even start with? :rolleyes:

20. schuweiz

schuweiz Regular Member

i've been travelling with badminton racquet almost twice a year and i had not have a problem with putting my racquets in my luggage as long as you pack it nicely so that the racquet will not undergo severe bending and conpression. What i did was i always put my racquet diagonally with two sides of shoes laying at the side of the racquet shaft to take up any force applied on the luggage (if any). My racquets still stay in shape, no crack whatsoever.:eek: