Lets vote for New or Old point system.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by terry, Sep 20, 2005.

?

Which scoring system do you prefer?

1. Old 15x3 service based scoring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. New 21x3 rally based scoring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    didn't read thread...

2. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    that was well said... it has deep meanings if you really take the time to look into it. possibly only the ranids in the group may take issue, but would likely go over their heads.

3. viver

viver Regular Member

In my opinion, what makes this forum great is that here are many people that takes the game more seriously and goes at all lengths to learn something about it. They also come here and share their knowledge - i.e. Kwun's finger power; Cheung's footwork; Badrad's insights, Iwan's training techniques, etc... in an honest way. Often there is an genuine intention of learning from each other's experience which is very useful and furhther our knowledge in the sport that we like.

What is not good when there is no intention to discuss/share ideas and trying to be what is not. It's just good that this things does not happen here, and as I say, this forum is still the best on badminton.

4. Chai

Chai Regular Member

import export
    1st and foremost; I believe every contributors here is wanting nothing but good for badminton.

We certainly have all played the rally system before for all sort of good reasons. I played it often but back in 70’s at the school open air badminton court; with less than 10 minutes left for the class to start, and trying in vain to complete a game to win back a sugar can drink! Most often it ended up losing 2 cans instead!

With the 3x15 system badminton is not just a game of power, speed, stamina and accuracy but it is full of wits and giving room for all kinds of players to excel! How much joy in watching Han Jian effortless movement around the court and taking all the shots from his opponent? How much joy in watching Liam Swee King’s awesome power and speed in crunching down his opponent? How much joy in watching Rudy Hartono played Tan Aik Huang? How much joy to watch Lee Chong Wei vs Lin Dan in AE semi final? The list is endless.

Lately I have watched the 3x21 games between Lee Chong Wei vs Boonsak , Lee Chong Wei vs Peter Gade, and Lin Dan vs Peter Gade. I could see the trend is moving toward volleyball style of game play. It has more power, more pace and intense but it is getting very stereotype and predictable. It is a suitable format for the team event, and yes just like volleyball!

For an individual event we do need all kind of players; the game will be thus more colourful and unpredictable and we will have our own favourite players…I always like Malaysian and Indonesian players; yes they are all always so smooth and graceful (lazy? no way it is the style, Misbun will say that!), they may be not as successful as stereotype Chinese players right now but once in a while they could still outwit the robots! With the 3x21 system will I be ever seeing my favourite Malaysian and Indonesian players anymore? Is it a progress that we are taking toward year 2525? Or right now I wonder if I still could outwit my 10 yrs old students and win a drink from them!

Long live the 3x15!

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Understand why players are so upset about the change to NSS

Hi viver,

I can understand why players are so upset about the change to NSS. Because we took a long time to master a certain type/method of play and then IBF changed it.

The key words are “took a long time to master a certain type/method of play”. I can still remember how furious I was when IBF banned the S-Service back in the 1970's.

I said to everyone then... “IBF is not progressive. We should let Badminton evolve as we learned new ways of hitting the shuttles”.

But in a way, it was a selfish reason too. It took me a long time(about a year) to master that S-Service, and with a stroke of a pen, all my training was left squandered.

But now, I am thinking “Thank God, IBF had banned the S-Service”. As I am now promoting Badminton by coaching and organising games, I would have to triple(or more) the use of shuttles. If the S-Service was not banned, only very few can afford to play it because of the exorbitance price of paying for shuttles.

But, Badminton will still find some other ways of evolving, I bet.

I posted in another thread that in the year 2525, if we are still alive, we won't be able to recognise our beloved game anymore.

You are also correct to say that it is not good when there is no intention to discuss/share ideas. Now that NSS is here, I started a thread
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33198
    but very few responses.

I think it is because so many players are reluctant to accept the NSS.

Cheers... chris@ccc

6. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

In Tennis, the serve is attacking - kind of smashing down and so is volleyball. But in badminton the serve is either low or high, it will be fun if we can change the rule to serve like Tennis for NSS!:D

7. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

Oh no! Please do not give the IBF anymore ideas.

8. Chai

Chai Regular Member

import export
    I believe a good math fellow in this forum he/she would be able to use the set theorem to show that the 3X21 system is a subset of the 3x15 system, or he/she could use the state machine to show that the 3x21 system has less states than the 3x15 system.

Yes, it is just a mathematical model but it reflects the reality! The 3x21 game is shorter and more predictable, it was argued that it makes the game easier to follow and understand for the 1st timer, but will that make them to fall in love with badminton and have a long lasting relationship? I doubt that greatly.

What is the relationship between sport and economic, or class? Will the 3x21 system make it a classless game and be accessible by everyone where the 3X15 system has failed to achieve? Of course it will not.

Where is the money from for badminton market? It is mainly from the players, who pay yearly subscription fees and buying equipments from the manufacturers, and tax payers through the government or lottery funds, and the fans(mostly players too) who watch and support the games on the box! Will the 3x21 system increase the player pool faster than the 3x15 system? Of course it will not.

A footnote: French open at Roland Garros is a two week tennis festival in France, hardly anyone is complaining about its duration! It is showing live from 10 am till 8 pm everyday on the box! Everyone is having tan under Roland Garros’ sun!

9. Chai

Chai Regular Member

import export

Personally I cannot accept your implication of those who have voiced against the 3x21 system is due to their own selfish reason. It may be not your intention but it is very provoking for you to do that. I have read many have given their good reasons of supporting the 3X15 system; whereas as many have repeated here there are no obvious advantages of the 3X21 system.

10. kanive

kanive Regular Member

With all respect, Chris, I don't believe that you understand why so many people do not want this new scoring system.

Obviously, I cannot speak for everyone on this forum who has voiced their opposition to the system, but let me tell you what it is I hate about it.

It is not because of a resistance to change per se. It is a resistance to dumbing down the sport. That is what rally21 does -- it doesn't make score-keeping simple, it makes the entire game simple. And I mean simple as in simplistic. And I don't mean simplistic in a good way.

11. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I do not think banning hitting the feathers first at service is at all a valid comparison to shortening the game and introducing rally-point scoring...

There could be all sorts of changes (net-height, court-size, racket-size, length etc etc, that could be argued to have some positive effects and could be used to balance if some aspect of the game gets skewed) that could be considered valid (of course after careful investigation, and consideration)...
    What ticks me off with the NSS, is that there are no real research or valid reasons presented, but rather just a one mans vague idea or guesses or loose discussion with som TV-networks trying to fit badminton into a WWF type 50 min program format, that is used to implement a rather big change of the game we love ?!?!

Cheers,
    Twobeer

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Resubmit Link again: About NSS Singles

Don't know why the thread did not appear as a link. I will try again.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33198

Cheers... chris@ccc

13. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

I like Chai and TwoBear's point...time is irrelevant, good/exciting/unpredictable game is, and that will attract the spectators, right? As for NSS why not even change the height of the net, length of the rackets, size of the shuttlecock.:D We asian are shorter in general, how abt high-heels...:p

If NSS didn't do a much to the game why waste the time...focus on somehting else like hiring some super 'salesman' to get more sponsorship for badminton.

14. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    what you have mentioned here sounds like what Speedminton is doing:

no nets, indoor or outdoor, light or dark, lines or no lines, court or no court, different shuttlecock, more stiff/robust - but still resembles a shuttle on steroids, different racquet (more like racquetball racquet). the north american distributor enlisted the help of Maria Sharapova as their spokesperson.

scoring - they do use the rally service method, but is 5 games to 15. service is underhand if you serve within your box, or you are allowed overhead service from behind your box baseline.

... but then --- it's not badminton is it? really....

#554 badrad, Jun 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  15. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

Yup...with NSS still badminton anymore? Table-tennis at best, I think.

16. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

I still say it should be called worseminton instead of badminton.

17. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    okay... i'll bite - what might you consider proposing to make it goodminton?:D

18. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

I could be wrong, didn't the Bristish invent the game of badminton and promote it to the rest of the world? I just wonder how the British take it on the NSS, just let someone take the game of badminton and run with it to the dark side.:crying: To me, old scoring system (OSS) is just perfect for badminton game, IBF - don't do try to be creative.

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    We can swear and we can curse the NSS, but at the end of the day all these count for naught. The OSS is not going to come back, not for at least 4 years at best and probably not likely ever.

20. viver

viver Regular Member

You could be right saying that we complain for nothing. At least we here voiced our opinion and demonstrated that we are not supporting a change illogical and not making any sense to the game.

We are not following blindly, at least we think. ;)

Do you think that a sport could survive without public support? If the sample poll here at BC reflects the badminton world opinion, I can only see more trouble for badminton in the future. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.