Singapore Open 2006 Qualifying Rounds

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Malaysia Open / Chinese Taipei Op' started by hcyong, Jun 5, 2006.

1. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Lots of Malaysian and Singaporean juniors in the qualifying. For the result of today's first qualifying round, the big upset is Lydia Cheah defeating Lee Hyun Jin 20, 10. She will face Gu Juan (who also caused an upset, I think, by beating Sari Shinta Mulya) for a place in the main draw.

Results: http://www.singaporebadmintonopen.com/en/ts_results.asp?id=11066

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sad to note that our own local boys still have a long way to go. :(

3. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    We should seriously go and study how the Danes do it. There's simply not enough competiton within the ranks for anyone to work harder. Take a look at Ronald Susilo, since that win in 2004, he has not been achieving much at all. Yet, he is still our "best" player simply because the other national players sucks.

4. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    Poor Kendrick, I bet hes heart broken if he sees this comment:p

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    On the other hand, it might well jolt him up and he should ask himself what's wrong with him mentally! Being World Junior Runner Up is no small matter but that was years ago and he hasn't improved much since then! :rolleyes:

6. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    I think its matter of commitment...
    Does he study as well?
    For chinese player is all or nothing... like u either make it or u are out living on the streets... I think we must be bring that sort of mentality to singapore lol

7. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Exactly what I was think all the while! He has what it takes to be world junior runners-up, so there's no excuse of lack of talent or skills. And looking at the achievement of Singaporeans in badminton in the past decade, I believe all we hope for are some respectable Open titles here and there. And guess what, zero from him all these while.

The old saying goes, you feed a soldier for a thousand days, you use him for one moment... Its being a thousand days already I believe... All he ever did decently was the Cheers Championships... *sigh*

8. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    The chinese players trains 6 days a week. I do not know how much the malaysian or indonesian players train but singaporean players got to train harder than the rest in order to do better. There's simply no shortcut to it.

On the other hand, we should learn something from France, Germany and Holland... Theirs are called Foreign TALENT programme, our are simply foreign workers programme.

9. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Well consider this, Singapore has bugger all population, and out of that only a small number of people take up the sport --- u don't have badminton courts everywhere like Indonesia, Malaysia or China.

Many years ago BBC London approached Tan Aik Mong (Aik huang's younger brother, who was my school captain) to do a documentary about badminton in Malaysia after Aik Huang had won the 1966 All-England. I was a very young boy then and we were told by our captain (Aik Mong) to go to the Wet Market to film a documentary --- the theme was that Malaysians are so good because they can even play badminton in the wet market (so you can imagine we boys were all stars in the BBC documentary pretending to play in the Wet market - we were told the English would buy the story:D ). Maybe Singapore needs to do a documentary like this to get the people to play more(even in the wet market) !;)

Honestly, Singapore should be thankful you got Ronald Susilo. But if you are not, then get your cheap thrills, go for Taufik(he has still got a few years left :D ) -- buy more !!! Just don't steal LCW !!!

10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    players form.

Bad luck lor. I think with his build, he shd focus on doubles. It tough for him to have that kind of stamina to last. Knowing his build is bigger. Ronald though is thinner, shd be ok for singles. Psychologically, I got a feeling its because of the fear of injury. It's not easy to overcome it if you have had that kind of horrendous injury.
    rgds:D

11. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    Population doesn't matter.... and the facilities are there anyways..... Take NZ for example.. the population is about singapore's yet they produce olympic Gold medalist in cycling and all... Sarah Omar she has passion for cycling thats why she made it

Talent are there and I belive its matter of mentality and commitment
    How big you want to achieve and whether do you have passion for this sport
    Why are the Danes so good? I believe the Danes are so good because this is their national sport, they have passion for badminton, they love playing badminton...
    Look at Tony Gunawan another good example.. why is he still good? I believe his passion for badminton drives him to success.
    I can guarantee.. alot of pro malaysian player play badminton as a way of escaping harsh life.... its true.... last time a friend of mine told me this... he play in order to make it out of hellhole, but I think this has even greater effect in China thats why players commit their life to make it

#11 Simp84, Jun 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    hunger

I do agree to a certain extend. Its the hunger... If its not there, its tough.:D

13. shah88

shah88 Regular Member

sadly, student
    Well, the reason he hasn't been winning its because he hasn't been training much due to his injury (he injured his archiles tendon). But I think Ronald is not bad a player.. can still improve though.

14. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Hey, we have lots of badminton courts. Every few blocks of flats here come with a badminton court. There's also lots of indoor courts for booking (okay, they are always taken up by the super bookers like BC members).

Oh man... I was eyeing LCW all the while. haha :D

15. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    That was supposed to refer to Kenderick Lee.

16. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

Yeah, just like what X BAll mentioned, Malaysians play badminton everywhere... You could just walk up to the gardens, fields, backyards n you see lots of mummy n daddy playing badminton with thier kids n children around age 3 or 4 waving the racquet in the air(obviously they cant any shuttlers hit right on the racquet)... And i play badminton once a week if it's holiday... that's the position of badminton in Malaysia... I dont really see the same thing happens in Singapore, i guess

#16 hara^kazuko, Jun 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  17. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    I always see kids playing badminton downstairs... I used to play a few times a week when I was a kid too and I play everywhere including narrow corridors. However, my case is different because I suffer from severe lack of talent. haha

18. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    LOL~ thats the spirit man~ we need passion rather than talent:D
    I would rather play a passionate lousy player than a pro guy who is cocky and all about show

19. moonsilk

moonsilk Regular Member

Student
    What has the performance of Ronald Susilo and Kendrick Lee to do with the topic "Qualifying Rounds" when both of them are not even playing??
    I think Chen Jiayuan did a good job to beat Anna Rice in 3 sets.

20. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Well, the cocky players back then were in the school team. :D