Lets vote for New or Old point system.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by terry, Sep 20, 2005.

?

Which scoring system do you prefer?

1. Old 15x3 service based scoring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. New 21x3 rally based scoring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    How is this possible under the NSS? How is it possible to win rally points and a game, let alone a match, from just receiving without serving? Are you taking a bit of the old and mixing it up with a bit of the new?

2. chris_streak

chris_streak New Member

student/Ramp agent at YXS
    Ahh but is popularity of the sport more important then the enjoyment we get playing it? sure it might make it more popular for people to watch on tv, and it will get more funding that way, but is that worth changing the sport we lvoe? is it worth lessening our enjoyment?

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If a game or sport is dull without enjoyment it will put people to sleep. Once beaten, twice shy, they will never come back again. In the end badminton will be kicked out of the Olympics.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    You've got it, chris_streak: It is all for the media.

With the World Cup Soccer, you will all noticed the excitement.

Below, my guesses are based on my experience in Soccer some 25 years ago, when I was playing it at a high Divisional Level.

90%(a guess) of Soccer spectators do not play game. Of the remaining, 5%(a guess again) play FIFA Soccer. The other 5% play backyard soccer, park soccer, beach soccer, etc... using different court-size, different goal-posts size, different time-period for a match, different etc, etc...

Yet FIFA could promote Soccer as "THE WORLD BEST GAME".

This is what I have been saying... you and I can play any scoring system we like. We can also play anywhere too... backyard, beach, non-IBF court-size, IBF court-size, etc...

Please guys, please help to make our beloved Badminton as popular as Soccer. Let IBF promote the popularity of the Badminton for the World, not just for a few who loved playing the OLD SCORING SYSTEM.

I am just looking at a bigger picture. If you think I work for IBF, you are wrong... I am not in their payroll.

In Australia, we don't play Gaelic Football. But once or twice a year, our television televise it. When Badminton can be packaged for television(as IBF is trying to do now), countries like USA, Canada, etc... might televise it.

Then we would/could show and tell the World our beloved game of Badminton.

Cheers... chris@ccc

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    There's a saying in corporate world or politics using the word "restructuring", "cost savings", "increasing revenues" or whatever.
    Its just a game of moving things around. Are there improvements so far interms of sponsorship and players? better be or else someone at the top is gonna get some smashin.

6. Chai

Chai Regular Member

import export

Bigger prize money and more media coverage, both are the not the causes for the popularity of the game; they are the effects of its popularity.

Most contributors here are players and have voiced their views that they do not see the advantages of the 3x21 system. Therfore it is just a waste of efforts period.

It had been also voiced by many that to increase the popularity of the game, it was suggested that IBF should channel their energy and resources in tackling the issues at the grass root level.

7. chris_streak

chris_streak New Member

student/Ramp agent at YXS
    I fully agree we sohuld be less concerned aobut what fans want and more concerned aobut the actual people who play the game. The new system has met skepticism and a outright resistants from badminton players around the world. In my town we had a torunament that was the new score system. It was a 3 day tournaments and after 2 hours of the 1st day everyone was complaining so bad that it got switched back to the old system. If sports cater to the needs of fans and not the people playnig the sports, what use are they?

8. vlkbad

vlkbad Regular Member

well said!

without the players, there will be no fans.

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Our Badminton will evolve whether we like it or not

Hi chris_streak,

Our Badminton will evolve whether we like it or not.

In the year 2525, if we are still alive, we will not recognise our Badminton anymore.

There are 2 points I like to make in your quote(because I think what happened at your 3 day tournament was what happened in Melbourne, Australia, in our first tournament under the NSS).

1. Most of the participants at our Melbourne first tournament under the NSS have never played it before. The tournament organisers were trying very hard to explain the NSS. But it was found very hard to teach Old Dogs New Tricks. Even some of the teachers of the NSS were not quite sure about how to teach the NSS. There was Big Problem and Big Confusion. BTW, I wasn't there... this report is only based from what I have heard.

Some reports were just unbelievable, like only one player of a Doubles Partnership was serving throughout the match, his partner never got a chance to serve. Total Confusion. So many players were complaining and upset.

I think some blame should be put on the organisers of the tournament for not being well prepared. But then it is easy for me to criticise, for I wasn't there to help.

2. Most of the participants of the tournament was not well prepared/trained to play(I mean in tactics and strategies) under the NSS. So most of them did not enjoy or played well. Total Distress and Dissatisfaction.

However, top divisional players who were well prepared/trained for it, found no problem. Also, the lowest divisional players who were not even quite sure about the OSS found no problem either.

BTW, I wonder how our beloved Badminton will be played in the year 2525.

Cheers... chris@ccc

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    This has to be one of the lamest arguments for 21x3 put forward so far...

IF badminton is NOT moving ahead when the olympics is held in the "biggest" badminton-loving country on earth.. then something is SERIOUSLY wrong..

I would be willing to bet you, that it would be 5 steps ahead of Greece and more :) using 15x3 scoring i beijing..

11. kanive

kanive Regular Member

:D:D:D
    But haven't you heard? It is supposed to be simpler!

Darn.

Perhaps, you know, maybe, possibly, it isn't?

12. kanive

kanive Regular Member

Good on you for bringing up this point, twobeer! I bet that this exact same line would have been fed to us in 2008 explaining how the 3x21 "has worked wonders".

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

To Teach Old Dogs New Tricks

That's what I have been saying "It's so hard to teach old dogs new tricks".

I am an old dog myself. It wasn't easy for me when I was first introduced to the NSS.

But once you have learned it, you will realised how simple it really is.

#513 chris-ccc, Jun 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  14. kanive

kanive Regular Member

Please. That is such a non-falsifiable statement. So anybody that has trouble with it is an old dog, and is beyond hope?

Well, I am fairly long in the tooth myself, but have absolutely no problem learning new shots or techniques and such. Grumbled a bit at the loss of setting at 13-all, but moved on. Can even adapt to the new serve style. But why is it so hard for all you diehard defenders of the faith to accept that this allegedly simple scoring system, isn't? It really isn't. Keeping track while playing singles with it is no big deal, but doubles is a nightmare. I know how it works and I have played with it, but I dread explaining it to people.

15. viver

viver Regular Member

Not possible? Let's see:

- player A wins the toss and lets player B start with service
    - player A wins the rally and leads 1-0 and gets the serve
    - player A serves and loses rally; player B wins point and score is 1-1;
    - player B serves and loses rally; player A leads 2-1;
    - player A serves and loses; score tie again at 2-2;...
    - going forward at the end; player A will win the game.

You know, I said the server is always in a defensive position whereas the receiver in an attacking position. Given the scenario where the attacker always wins the rally, the outcome is predictable. ;)

16. viver

viver Regular Member

I really don't know what you are talking about. Here in BC forum, about 85% in favour of the 15x3. At least I know HOW TO COUNT, 457 is much higher than 78. Unless you have the numbers relating to the whole badminton world regarding the acceptance of the new system. ;)

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

My point is that you cannot win a game or match if you don't ever serve.
    Re your example above, the winner of the game is also the server of the winning shot-contrary to what you are implying that the server never wins.

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I believe we can now expect more funds going into badminton. This will translate into higher prize money and even more participation from developing countries in the 3 new IBF Training Centres. Perhaps there will even be an IBF Training Centre in the Africa and South America.
    Who knows, at least there may be a chance that the AE will move up one star in a year of two. :D

19. viver

viver Regular Member

I'll let you re-think. Whoever serves first loses the game.

20. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    very good obseration... this logic works it's way thru to the end of a 3 game match... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.