Badminton crowd : loud or quiet?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Aug 24, 2005.

?

how should a badminton crowd cheer?

1. loudly! make lots of noise between and during rallies (eg. INA open)

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. loudly, make noise only between rallies, stay quiet during rallies.

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. quiet, hand clapping between rallies. (eg. JPN open)

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. dead silence all the time.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Funny how most votes went to 2 and most comments are for 1. I'm telling you if you've seen videos of INA open you will definitely choose 1 :)
    I know a lot of players would like some more enthousiasm so def. not 3 (like it is over here), that even looks boring on tv :p

2. Lin Dan-Fan

Lin Dan-Fan Regular Member

I hate it when the player about to go up for a smash the crowd goes: "OOooooohhhhhhh UE!!" I HATE IT.

3. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    Well, I actually quite like it, but when it's too much, it's quite annoying! :mad: (when there's about 100 :)D hehe) smashes in the rally!:p

4. jordenrocks

jordenrocks Regular Member

At the club that I play at you might get a scattered applause, as for tornaments I agree that loud cheering in between rallys is fine.

5. aZn_Popcorn

aZn_Popcorn Regular Member

i voted for "loudly! make lots of noises between and during rallies".
    I think the crowd should be aloud to cheer as loud as they want as long as it doesn't get out of hand. This is what makes the game so enjoyable, both for players and spectators!

6. Volts

Volts Regular Member

Definately lound, i love when my friends scream like crazy during matches it fun

7. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    Cheer between rallies, clap yell players names etc. Clap for both sides as well. When a good shot is hit, usually the is a automatic "ooooohhhh" from the crowd in awe of apreciation of the shot.

8. olle_whitehead

olle_whitehead Regular Member

i have to say that i like quite (not silence) during rallies and especially just before serve because i like to think about many things while i'm getting ready to serve or recieve serve but as soon as the rally has ended i'd love to hear the place erupt normally i erupt on court aswell

9. ProWhip

ProWhip Regular Member

Oh i love that...It just adds to the tournament atomsphere. I think people should be able to cheer whenever, beacuse i think (at least for me) its more daunting when its dead silent, knowing everyone is watching you, than loud cheering and support. Cheering makes it funner (also pumps them up) for players, at least for some.

10. All4Baddy

All4Baddy Regular Member

Its better to be quiet when the game is on. Its kinda distracting when you are playing and yet you can't really hear your shots. After the point, you can be as noisy as you like.

11. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

Kenneth was interviewed after winning a match in Thomas Cup..

He said that he loves playing around Asian countries when the crowd goes emotionally with your game

While somewhere else the audience could be reading a book or ordering snacks

#71 hara^kazuko, Jun 26, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  12. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    i'd say loud noise is fine as long as nothing offensive is yelled to the players, about the players. still, i think the sound of the bird can also effect the rally because some players may use the sound to predict wut shot is coming at them in the next millisecond. so my vote is for noise in between rallies.

who knows, there may also be times when too much noise from one side of the arena can act as killer air conditioning pushing a well-done clear bkac towards the net as a drop :D.

13. czarina

czarina Regular Member

student
    i do believe that a silent audience will do because they are distracting the player although it improve self confidence audience need to have right manners in watching

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Badminton is not a game of chess. The earliest, purest form of game was the gladiators, fighting each other or with wild animals, to the death. What do you think the crowd was then? Today's Thomas Cup badminton matches, especially when they are played in Indonesia or Malaysia, have the same Roman spectators voicing their most basic instincts.

15. event

event Regular Member

I love that. Some of the most fun I've ever had watching badminton was during the men's doubles at the Sydney Olympics when there was a huge Indonesian contingent cheering that way for every smash by Tony or Chandra. I lived alone then so I could cheer for Indonesia without fear of reprisal. Last year, there was just a small group of Indonesians at the finals in Incheon watching the nail-biter between Jens/Martin and Candra/Sigit but the volume was amazing. Korean fans can get pretty worked up, too, but they don't preface the smashes in the same way. I love the dynamic between crowd and defender in those situations because the defender is at turns warned of impending doom and deceived when the drop shot comes instead.

16. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I really lvoe the atmosphere when everybody's shouting like that. Was greta to do at the EC (we had a small group, very fun)

the players hardly notice it though, 100% focus..and you'll always see the pro's thanking the croud, no matter what noise they make..What would a pro think if there're 2.000 people in a stadium, and everybody's just claps a little..like they're watching gras grow...

17. badmad

badmad Regular Member

i guess making loud noise makes the game more entertaining.. i guess that noise shouldn't affect too much a players' performance because during the match, he is psychologically too much into thinking about points and the match and the title and the pride that noise wouldn't bother him much.

also, on and off noise would be more disturbing than a continuous sound... purely my opinion... :p

18. badmad

badmad Regular Member

don't mind but this comparision is too neanderthal... i wont say that we want a game like one should be routed... certainly everyone wants to have a well balanced, exciting game in which his side should win... :)

19. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

That's what makes badminton unique from other racquet sports... the crowd is no less excited than the world cup's

20. badmad

badmad Regular Member

in that way, wimbledon SUCKS!!!! on one hand, the rules and regulations of this tourney makes it more charming and on the other hand, it sucks big time... i won't be surprise when McEnroe was pissed after winning wimbledon and when Agassi refused to play wimbledon after denied to wear colored shirts and headband... :p so funny it wud hv been... atleast it's getting better in wimbledon these days...

other games like one-day Cricket (if u know), Baseball and mother of all sports , Soccer make u feel go all crazy, frenzied, excited and what not... (short on finding words to describe the feelings... :D :p)