Indonesia Open 2006 website

Discussion in 'Indonesia Open 2006 / Philippine Open 2006' started by seawell, May 26, 2006.

1. seawell

seawell Regular Member

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Thanks for sharing the info seawell..:cool:
    Finally heh!!they have some sort of a professional website for this tourney..:p :rolleyes:

^^Mods might want to merge this thread with the Indonesian Open thread that is being locked??..

3. candra W

candra W Regular Member

fiuuw..
    Finally indonesia open has a website...

4. Darth Andrianus

Darth Andrianus Regular Member

Student
    OMG, I never thought Indonesians could do something so professional. This website is even more informative and better than some of the other websites I have seen over the past few years. I am so proud to be from Surabaya. It must be the Surabaya organisers who could think of something so brilliant. One piece of advice, boys and girls: next time, if you guys wanna organise something really big in Indonesia, do it in Surabaya.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

yes it is, and quite professional to say the least(esp. since it is in English); probably the organizers read some of our complaints here from last yr's IO with the lack of informative website...and they realize this is a 6* tourney and really wanted this yr's IO to be the best it can be...
    as far as them having IO in Surabaya again, well, they don't have to do it again in Surabaya to have this same quality of website...but what they(PBSI) can do is hire the same people who designed this yr's IO website to do next yr's one(wherever it is)...Hmm, Bali sounds nice, esp. for all the foreign players coming in...:rolleyes: :) :cool:

#5 ctjcad, May 26, 2006
    Last edited: May 26, 2006
  6. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    they get fully supported by local goverment (surabaya city)

7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Well done,Indonesia for its website without INA language! Who's next that follow it to design bdm tourney's web in English? Maybe ChnOpen-HkgOpen-JpnOpen or other countries (because many people can't understand their native language)?? This step can make bdm more go international in globalization era when info must update everytime...

8. event

event Regular Member

Well done? Of course it's great to have an international language for an international tournament, but why should that have to come at the expense of the local population. As long as a bilingual website is updated in both languages at once, I don't see anything wrong with it.

A few years ago, the Korean Open went to an English-only site. Since so few people here, especially in badminton circles, can use English sites easily, fortunately, they mirrored the information in Korean on the KBA website. Unfortunately, the official site was often left with a lot of static and otherwise outdated information.

In what way is a well-maintained bilingual website not the best option?

I don't understand what you mean here. Are you being sarcastic? Everyone understands their native language even when said language is not the official one of the land. At any rate, Indonesia is linguistically very diverse but, from my experience, people whose native language is not Bahasa Indonesia are still more likely to know that language than they are to know English.

9. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Sorry, you must be misunderstanding for what I mean! Of course definitely,someone whose being citizen in one country automatically they understand very well with its mother-tongue. In my case: I really proud and comfortable to use Bahasa Indonesia compare than English but for foreigners must be hard to understand any local language so the solution is using English as international language (like or dislike) to make it easier way.How a perfect one if an international tourney/event use bilingual as that you said (local and english).Last year I got some problem when I want to find an info about SC-05 (Beijing/CHN) because its web using mandarin only (as we know mandarin language use symbol/character not an alphabet).How come we get the source with language that we're totally blank??Then,I hope you should be clear now from that above explanation -- I never be a sarcastic or cynical person to another language (although I don't understand it).

10. event

event Regular Member

I understand.

I guess, having never operated a website before, that I don't fully appreciate the amount of work that might go into keeping one going in two languages. Hence, I was assuming that the logical alternative to a website only in Korean or only in Bahasa Indonesia or only in Chinese would be a bilingual one. English only would be less work than a bilingual one, I suppose, but I hate to think of people in the country hosting the tournament not being able to understand the stuff on the website. This might be less of a problem in Indonesia, where a change to English-only does not involve a change in alphabet but in Korea or China or Japan, where the writing systems are completely different, an English-only website would be a real burden to the local people.

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Just my 2 cents & a bit off topic..

Regarding you mentioned that Chinese, Japanese and Korean uses a totally different type of writing/character, i understand. Even India(Hindi) or Arabic or Russia uses different characters. But i think it's just a matter of getting people proficient in English language to translate and compose the content for the website; which i'm sure there are a lot of them out there in those countries. I mean, i'm sure the people translating and making this yr's IO website most likely go thru the same process, no different, even if Indonesian language uses similar alphabets like English.:rolleyes:

On that note, personally, i feel these kind of websites *should* use English as the *main* language of communication. Not to sound like i'm being indifferent to a country's native language, but why do a bilingual website if you can present it in 1(common) language. Especially for a sport like badminton, if they want to make it "popular"..:rolleyes: :cool:

#11 ctjcad, May 29, 2006
    Last edited: May 29, 2006
  12. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

The most important thing is the site updated the matches regulary. Cause I don't see any Live Scoring.

13. event

event Regular Member

Oh, no doubt the process is similar for the people making the website. My point is that for the local people who have to use the website, reading a word like badminton in English is easy for Indonesians because it is the same word with the same spelling. However, it is very different for people who usually see it as 배드민턴 or 羽毛球. So using an English website might be slightly easier for Indonesian end-users than for Chinese or Korean users. Perhaps that word isn't the best example because its English spelling might be familiar to speakers of most languages but there may well be other English words that Indonesians would recognize.
    Why? So that it will be usable for the people who live in the country hosting the tournament. If, as you point out, the people maintaining the site are going through the process of translating, then it shouldn't be that difficult to maintain a parallel site on which you leave the "untranslated" stuff for the local people, who are ultimately paying for the tournament and forming the bulk of the spectators, etc..
    To what "it" are you referring? How on earth would the absence of a button on the homepage saying "Bahasa Indonesia", which speakers of that language could click to get readable information, make badminton, the tournament, or the website itself, more popular?

14. kemana

kemana Regular Member

wah~ thanks! and , i want to say 'FINALLY' too
    congratulations!~

15. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    they should give us indonesian edition :D
    maybe you're willing to become their indo-english translator
    you can translate them from usa :D

16. event

event Regular Member

Yes. That's what I'm saying.
    Who, me? Why me? They clearly don't need anyone else. They've already made the English site. They certainly don't need me. Saya sudah lupa semua bahasa yang saya sudah belajar. See what I mean?
    Can't do anything from the U.S. I never go there.

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Getting off topic, but adding a couple more cents..

event, I think my point is how to make a website convenient to other "outside/non-Indonesian" people, to read and understand the infos. Not so much for the local people..
    Anyways, sigh, since this is getting a bit more off topic, this will be my last response..:p:)
    sure it's spelled the same, and it's only 1 word..there are other similar spelled-words, ie. smash, set, deuce, match etc.
    Specific to IO, hmm, why would local people read an English website, which is more likely dedicated to "non-Indonesians" speaking people or those who don't understand, when they have local newspapers/magazines at their disposal.:rolleyes: :p
    Besides, if one thinks abt it, why would there even be a website?? Isn't the main purpose of a website is to share information internationally??..And why do a bilingual task if one can just do it in 1 language??Simpler and less work, don't you think, whilst still achieving the same purpose..Now, since you are referring back to a website being catered to the local population, imagine the official IBF website; since it's based in Malaysia, do you think they should do another parallel site dedicated to the Malaysians or Bahasa Malay??..:rolleyes::p
    the "it" i'm referring to is the sport of badminton..This might sound "extreme" but specifically for the IO, making an English based-only website will only attract non-Indonesian speaking/understanding people to follow and keep up, i'm sure you can imagine it as well...:) Therefore, more people will be interested...
    Sigh, how i wonder if IBF will make this a *requirement* for all websites which are presenting all the higher stars tourneys..:p :rolleyes:

#17 ctjcad, May 30, 2006
    Last edited: May 30, 2006
  18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

event,
    so you did learn bahasa Indonesia, eventhough you forgot abt it..and you know a bit of the language..:)

19. event

event Regular Member

Right, which is why the problem for local people dealing with an English-only website might be slightly reduced in the particular case of Indonesia.
    They likely wouldn't use an English website. In the case of Indonesia, you're talking about one of the few countries in which even international tournaments are covered in the regular press. This isn't true in the case of other countries that host tournaments and I was making my earlier point in general terms.
    Well, here, you're ignoring the fact that the Indonesian Open used to have a website and it was only in Indonesian. This seems to prove that someone in Indonesia thought it would be useful to have all the information in one place..
    Now I know you are kidding about this one. Of all the thousands of websites you've visited, you've never seen one that was intended for one country or even one local community? As I said before, the local people are paying for the tournament (ie. buying the sponsors' products) and they will make up 80% of the spectators or more. They deserve to have a place to look to find all the information in one place...
    I think I answered this question. First, I don't know how much work it would be. I've never operated a website. If translation is being done into English, then operating a website in the local language does not involve translation. It implies that the data that had to be translated into English had to be translated from Bahasa Indonesia, for example. If a parallel website can be set up with that untranslated data at a low cost, I think it would help a lot of people. But I admit that I don't know how much more work or cost is involved.
    Well, this is the key, isn't it? If the local people can't understand what's on the English website, then part of that purpose is not achieved with a unilingual site.

20. ricksakti

ricksakti Regular Member

Surgeon
    Website? What... what... Dont really bother with the website... the best thing is you can watch the match live... website and online scoring is the alternative option... heheheheeee