21-point system PASSED by IBF AGM!!!

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by cxytdn, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Well weather its 3x15 points or 3x21points. It is the rule of the game. We just need to follow it. Things will get more interesting.

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If we review what have been said about the new scoring system in BC, from the beginning to now, the initially negative, very loud, and almost hostile torrent of words against the new system have now become more muted. Do we look a little foolish now?:D Some have even threatened to give up the game. For the life of me, why? Over a mere change in scoring system?:confused: Now that it has been finally decided, let us close ranks and do what we ought to do-continue playing the beautiful game, badminton, but using the new 3 x 21 rally system.

3. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

The only foolish ones are those that swallow what the IBF and Punch say without question.

I'm sorry, but you really do come over as smug, arrogant and patronising. Over-use of the misplaced and badly-chosen smilies does not help. I mean that constructively.

The battle for the scoring system is lost, sadly, and we can now stop arguing and start to worry about the damage it will do to the sport. And, what is worse, what further damage will the incompetents at the top inflict?

Your comment about "a mere change in scoring system" shows that you do not appreciate how this changes the creful checks and balances already built into the game.

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    On the contrary, I think Punch and the IBF did a fantastic job for the good of the game. Damage to the game, what damage? The 'incompetents' at the top wouldn't be shakers and movers if they were incompetent. I think it is an exciting time for badminton. We can revisit this thread a year from now and do an 'audit' of the new game.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I must also add that the IBF Council did world badminton a lot of good with the introduction of the new 21 point rally system, despite all the brickbats. It takes a great deal of courage and leadership for the IBF Team, particularly Punch, to come out with such an exhilarating knock-out blow.

At the outset, some badminton stars cursed the new system, some liked it and in the course of the short experimental period, some got more accustomed to it and began to accept it as a matter of course. This is to be expected as any new change will cause unhappiness and destabalize the comfort zone. But in the end, the true professionals will be able to adapt to the change as it affects their livelihood. It is social players like us who are the most discontented and more vocal in our remarks.

As the world team championships in the recent TC and UC have demonstrated, most players performed to expectation and many provided very exciting exchanges on the courts. The top teams did not actually falter and most of us probably got our own predictions correct, saved for the match between Malaysia and Denmark. If skipper Wong Choong Hann had not been injured, it would have even provided a higher climax to that spectacle. But as fortunes would have it, Malaysia lost to a better team in the most unexpected outcome.

Denmark lost both of its highly-rated doubles and only managed to salvage victory through its singles, despite the fact that its 3rd singles was ranked lower than Malaysia's. The final score of 3-2 was the fairest outcome of two finely-contested badminton superpowers. And boy, what great excitement they have provided on TV! And I think the new 21 point rally system must have aided many newcomers to keep up with the proceedings.

Personally, I don't think much damage has been done, if any. On the contrary, I can see more good has resulted and much more will follow. Apart from the heavy IBF schedules during the month of June, the more important challenge will come from the World Championships in Madrid in September. By then, the professionals would have adapted themselves very well to the new system and may surprise us with new moves never seen before. Won't that be delightful?

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I am not convinced of these argments against the scoring system. I know that many people don't want to change. The main impetus for change will be from Associations which will start to implement the scoring system in local tournaments and club matches. Either you as a player adapt and keep playing, or refuse to adapt only to your own detriment.

The sport needs to evolve just as other sports do and have done. As for playing two different scoring systems, tennis must have a bigger variety of scoring systems. They play 3 or 5 sets, 5th set might be a tie break or you have to win by two clear games for that 5th set. As another example of tennis evolving, I see they've done away with the break after the 1st game.

Another consideration is, do we let the feelings of a minority restrict the progress of the game?

All in all, I think if a minority don't want to change to the new system, that's fine with them. But they shouldn't think their personal opinion and preference are necessarily correct. These are the people that will get left behind in the process of change.

IMHO, it doesn't make too much difference. Scoring is simplified - that's great for the casual observer. Games are not shortened by a great amount. Ladies singles have to play longer giving us political correctness. Unpredictability gives the game more of an edge to the unintiated spectator. More importantly, I think it is better than the the 5 x 7 system!!

7. kanive

kanive Regular Member

:D:D:D seriously, that is funny!!!

Not to worry, we will keep 3x15 alive until IBF changes back again. We will still be here when you come around in four years admitting that playing rally21 has hurt your stamina, your creativity on court, and has lowered the overall standard of the game. I guess now we have two kinds of badminton, the classical and the simplified. Fine.

8. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

Yes, these 80% minorities are a nuisance aren't they? The 20% majority must carry on!

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Exposing the game to the public-tapping the U.S. market

I understand from reading all the news and articles, that the "only" main purpose of the S.S.(scoring system) change is for marketability and as Mr. Gunalan has said "to make badminton the #1 racket sport in the world"..And i know our "veteran/senior" members in here (Loh, taneepak, Cheung to name a few) are quite supportive of the S.S. change)
    But i wonder, how to make it "popular" if the game is not being televised and broadcast esp. in the U.S. market. Personally, the reason why you see tennis is so "popular" is because it is being broadcast and shown on reg. tv networks/cable networks, esp. here in the U.S.. No matter what kind of rule changes or how many or how drastic a S.S. changes IBF wants to do, i don't think badminton can be as "popular" as it is if it is not being broadcasted and televised on major U.S. networks or cable companies...IMO, that's how the game gets more and more exposure and "popular"..
    hmm, sure in tennis the S.S. has evolved and can vary with either 3 or 5 sets. Now, i'm not an avid follower of tennis nor am i knowledgeable in the history of S.S. of tennis, but the "basic" element of the S.S. has basically stay roughly the same for quite a long time. Unlike this "drastic" change as we have in the current badminton S.S.(from serve-based to rally based, i think that's quite a change). IMO, IBF can still keep the "old" S.S. of 3x15, but maybe add some break time in between, or maybe not allow a set to occur, just end it at 15. Or something else..?!?!..
    hmm, if so, if everyone accepts this "new" S.S.(3x21) and it goes on for a while and then IBF changes it again to who knows what kind of S.S. in the future, how will the current people who have embraced the "new"(3x21) S.S. say??..I think the real "progress" of the game is if they finally show these games live or delayed on reg. tv networks or cable networks, esp. in U.S.(just like they did in Olympics and World Championships last yr)..
    hmm, i don't think the "minority of people who don't want to change to the new system" think that "their personal opinion and preference are necessarily correct". It is an opinion and rightfully their opinion, just like those "majority" who are supporting the system change have their own opinion. Do you expect all of us baddie fans/supporters to just shake our head in agreement and just follow what is being presented?? Without having any freedom of expression or thought??..I think this is true also of the players, as i know ZN and XXF as well as LD and Taufik do not favor it, not sure if they now change their minds. Peter Gade initially did not favor it, but later changed his mind. I guess the 2 CHN WS and LD, Taufik who are not in favor will "get left behind"??..:rolleyes:
    Hmm, maybe true to all of those you mentioned..Scoring might be "simplified", but i thought it was "simple" already??..BTW, why was 5x7 abolished so quickly by IBF??..Were you guys who are currently supporting the "new" S.S. change also did not agree with the 5x7 S.S.??..:rolleyes:
    I guess time will tell, and we shall wait and see by the time World Championship rolls around and IBF will make another gage of how the public has "embraced" this change and if the game has really grown in "popularity".. :rolleyes:

#69 ctjcad, May 9, 2006
    Last edited: May 9, 2006
  10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Just because the IBF council made the 21x3 official, doesn't make it any better.

It's still a sissifying of the game we love, and WON'T lead to ANY increased TV-airtime or postive effects compared to what IBF could achieve with the traditional 15x3 scoring.

It's even logical to argue that shorter games most likely lead to less air-time (compared to longer games).

we all know that a majority of this forum prefers 15x3 scoring, so why should we "close ranks" and support something that isnt good

Next step will be Punch introducing Mavis 350 plastic shuttels as official tournament shuttles.. and get this trough the IBF council... I guess you suggest we should "close ranks" and promote this "new fresh badminton game" with plastics and so on..

Just becuase some older over-the-hill managers of an organisations thinks something is right..doesn't make it "right"...

And knowing something is very wrong and still not trying to do anything about it.. isn't good.... History has proven that on many occasions..

So my main concern would be how to make IBF revert back to 15x3. Maybe it has to wait until they/we get rid of Punch.. Or maybe Punch will get wiser when he vakes up a year from know realizing that the score change wasn't the holy grail that made badminton popularity grow exponetially through the roof!!!

It feels frustrating that a small number of people in the badminton world pushes through rule changes that they know a large mjority of players doesn't want or outright oppose!!

Personally I am starting to think badminton needs something new instead of IBF.. It seems like IBF is doing more harm than good to the sport.. (little marketing, poor web presense, stupid rule changes, internal corruption, limited sponsorship and prize money etc etc)... Maybe IBF IS the PROBLEM!!

/Twobeer

11. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

with this system, no more typical player with stamina and endurance.
    only players with killing smash will win.

you can not find anymore player as like Icuk Sugiarto with phantom badminton ....

Taufik can beat Lin Dan due to his very strong stamina and endurance, when it came to rally point, just "ampun" (= my goodness) from Taufik's mouth.

I played mostly double ......... so with this system :
    - no more 2nd serve
    - serve can be done from "left"
    very headache ........ but have to try ......

12. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    Where everyone is getting it wrong, is that the MAJORITY dislike the change and only a small portion(the MINORITY) favor the change. You can't have an 80% minority, unless you're just being lamely sarcastic or are acting awfully dull.

13. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

And are you dull enough to believe that anyone can be that stupid?

14. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    tsk,tsk... wit a waste...

15. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Badminton and ESPN?? Pfft. Even magic the gathering gets shown on ESPN2. PWNED? No?

16. eizmed

eizmed Regular Member

Doctor
    If this is true and 21 points is here to stay, then we should all try to get used to it. Coz once they change at the grass-root level, the new young batch of players will have never known the 15 points system..... and like us, will NOT want to play it instead of their 21 points they are used to..... unless IBF changes it back... but not likely

17. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    TV is for suckers.
    As for the rule change, I don't see the point. If it makes the game better to play, good. If not, it's crap. I havn't spent much time on the 21 point system myself to make that call yet.
    As for hoping TV exposure will popularize the sport, who cares? Badminton is already a very popular sport around the world. So what's the point?
    Big sponsors, more money, more what? More pro leagues?
    Does anyone really want a badminton league equal to the NHL, NBA, or MLB? Or even be on the road to getting to that point? It's all become souless. No devotion to anything but money. We've watched all the great badminton players fight for their flag throughout their careers; blood sweat and tears. I don't think it would be better if they were in a position to take a better offer from the "New York Shuttlers" or the "Hong Kong Smash Kings" and moved around from team to team like so many pro atheletes do these days.
    Amateur sport or just under radar is where its at.
    F%^& pro sport. I could care less about it. If you love it, good, I'm happy.

I'm off to the courts now. I'll play some 21 games, and some 15 games. I'm sure i'll have a good time.

18. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    *Nandeyanen!

The 21-point system is the wrong direction to take. Take the finals for example - muscle had triumphed over brains, it was actually boring! Except for those who won of course.

I had been thinking about it, IBF could actually sanction tournaments of different scoring systems, similar to that of golf. Some could do the old 15-pt system, while others could follow the new 21-points. Gives an extra dimension to badminton, making it a lot more challenging and fair to both kinds of players, adding some variety to the game.

*Sorry, been watching a lot of animes of late. ;)

19. eizmed

eizmed Regular Member

Doctor
    What you say has many good point and truths in it.... but it really make me said when the badminton champions take home only a few thousand dollars for winning the whole 6 or 7 star tournaments, when they deserve just as much as say tennis, golf and other professional athelete, as they train just as hard if not harder.

Its really sad when young new prospects or kids with potential are discouraged from training playing badminton full time as their parents or coaches can't gurantee them a future, just ask any pros, sponsors for badminton players just not as good as other sports.

For us, badminton addicts, its annoying for me almost all other sports gets LIVE coverage due to the money they attract but badminon coverage is often delayed or none at all... and why is it getting badminton supply and equipment so difficult in some parts of this world? coz not popular i guess.

Although not ideal, we do not live in a perfect world and MONEY really matters. I support IBF, yonex, Gosen or any large organisation doing whatever that will increase the popularity of the sport, so be it if that include having scantily dressed cheer leaders or break dancers between games in 2005 world championship or changing badminton apparel to singlets in Thomas cup 2006, or the 21 points system. Good luck.

20. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

[IBF NEWS]21 rally-point scoring system - 100% decision

Annual General Meeting

8 May 2006​

The IBF held its Annual General Meeting in Tokyo on 6 May 2006. The meeting was held in conjunction with the Yonex Thomas Uber Cup Japan 2006
    Of the many points of discussion on the main agenda, the President of the IBF Dr. Jang Young Joong confirmed that all effort will be made to promote the sport of badminton and the goal of the IBF is for badminton to become the world’s No.1 racquet sport by the year 2013.

The AGM also reached a unanimous decision to permanently implement the new 21 rally-point scoring system.

Since May last year, many member nations have been experimenting with this new scoring system and have submitted positive reports. With this unanimous decision, it will now be played in all IBF World Ranking tournaments including the Beijing 2008 Olympics.

“We are happy that we have the 100 percent support of all the member nations to adopt this new scoring system. There were only requests that this should not be a short term measure and the Council will definitely respect the wishes of its members,” said Punch Gunalan, IBF Deputy President.

The 21 rally point scoring system has been reported as having many advantages to players as well as to the fans and media, making it a desirable scoring system for the promotion of the sport.

“When played according to the 21 rally point system, the duration of the game becomes more predictable and this is an advantage to the media especially television media as live telecast matches are easier to schedule. So far, airtime sales have risen considerably since this new scoring system has been used,” said Gunalan.

Sponsors are also becoming more attracted to the game while spectators are finding it exciting and easier to understand. With the old scoring system, the duration of the game was longer and physically more strenuous to most players, whereas the new rally point scoring system is less demanding and less injuries have been reported.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.