21-point system PASSED by IBF AGM!!!

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by cxytdn, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samohtom

samohtom Regular Member

disaster

I can't believe it...allowing people to score when it's not their serve changes the nature of the game so much. I really hope this doesn't get adopted by clubs, and gets thrown out at asap...

2. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

so...we can cry and sob now? it's still the same game, although I'm in big favor for the 2x15. the new scoring is stupid and not fun at all, try it, very confusing for double. punch run IBF like his kingdom...

easier to predict? not really. it could be longer it could be shorter, like the old one. but clear rules in doubles has to be established for service verification. do they still change side?

#22 Double_Player, May 6, 2006
    Last edited: May 6, 2006
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You mean it's difficult to understand gaining a point on each rally?
    :eek:

4. baddie76

baddie76 Regular Member

i suggest that people who do not approve of the new rally system to boycott any tournaments that uses the new system. this is our only chance to fight back.
    if ibf is unwilling to listen to the players and the fans, we'll make sure they hear us by not participating in their decision.

this is the headline title posted by the star newspaper in malaysia
    IBF to stick with new format despite complaints from top stars
    http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2006/5/7/sports/14174288&sec=sports

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Good idea, but are you so sure you will not end up with only yourself fighting a lost cause? It is human nature for a dissenter to curse and swear at what they don't like, but at the end of the day he becomes part of the new system.

6. cabfan

cabfan Regular Member

student
    I think it should be 3X31 rally point system!

3X15 of cause much more better.

7. mobee

mobee New Member

21 point system is something similar to the ping-pong scoring system. come on, be original.

really not satisfied with this scoring system. players who are leading by 3-4 points after reaching the 11th point, will most likely win the game. NO EXCITEMENT at all.

bring back the old scoring system. much skills and staminas are needed from the player and not just by avoiding errors to win!

i can still remember those time when a player who was trailing 5-13, eventually won the game not because he is extremely good but because he was focused & determined. this is not possible with the free-for-all scoring system. shame !!! :mad::crying::eek: :confused:

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

hmm, i would like to see a news source which quipped his comments..
    As for his reason why the new 21-pt system has a lot advantages:
    1. easier for them to predict how long it will take each game : really???..what is that supposed to mean??..what is his point??..don't tell us he is linking this to more ads for tv??..:rolleyes:
    2. there wont be any love game (15-0) so it will bost their selfconfidence : errr, i thought Sony Kuncoro almost gave a 0(zero) to his opponent in one of his match in the 2006 TC. Whoop-dee-doo, 1 pt WILL REALLY BOOST a losing player's confidence.:rolleyes:
    3. the new system will help the player to keep their fitness : heh?? didn't Mr. Gunalan see how long 2 of the semifinals matches for Uber Cup took place?? one of them almost ran 5 hrs. long??..or the avg of most matches played in the TC??..compare that to the previous scoring system..:rolleyes:

#28 ctjcad, May 7, 2006
    Last edited: May 7, 2006
  9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

seems like that's the only way...Have all the top players joined together and boycott and not play in any IBF sanctioned tournaments and see what IBF will do??..:rolleyes: :p

10. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    what if a player win 21-0 with one servis, that's too long for the player :D

11. kanive

kanive Regular Member

No, I agree with baddie76. He is not alone. In fact, he is in the overwhelming majority of people who don't like the way Punch Gunalan has hijacked this beautiful game. Change that is unpopular with the masses is unsustainable. Just because IBF has voted the way you want, Taneepak, does not make either of you right.

I have said before that I don't mind playing the rally21 recreationally, but no more. I will not cooperate. I will insist on playing with regular scoring. I will avoid tournaments that impose rally scoring. I will stop watching what is shown on TV.

I feel sorry for the pros, who can't afford to boycott IBF events. In good conscience, no one can ask them to do so. It is in the hands of the amateurs and the enthusiasts now to fight back.

12. nugroho

nugroho Regular Member

i red the article from www.antara.co.id
    so you should fine it there... i dont like the new system my self, but what can we actually do to change the new rule that has been aproved by a group of people which believed to be this sport organizer...

#32 nugroho, May 7, 2006
  13. baddie76

baddie76 Regular Member

This may be an arduous fight, but I am prepared to quit badminton for good if I have to. I would hate to do this, but ultimately I cannot support a sport that's governed by dictators.

On the other note, I am extremely disappointed in USA Badminton. Their memberships have declined over the years and many members wonder what are the perks of joining the organization. They could've used this opportunity to allow active members to vote on the issue. Instead they chose not to notify anybody about the new scoring system being experimented and in the end voted for the for the unpopular system.

I also plea that USA Badminton members who do not approve of the new system not to renew their membership. In addition, notify the organization the reason why you're not renewing your membership.

I think fans and supporters are the key to success in any sports. Badminton is no exception. If we can unite as a group to boycott the decision, there may be a chance that it will be reverted. If you continue to play despite the change, you're telling IBF that they can continue to "screw up" the sport in the future.

14. baddie76

baddie76 Regular Member

btw kanive, i'm a she.

15. kanive

kanive Regular Member

No no, don't quit badminton! That will just make things worse. Better to simply ask whoever you play with to play with the regular system.

Why did they do that?! :confused:

word.

16. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    whattodo

So I guess the big question now is what's the best approach to fight the new "approved" "official" rally-scoring?

* Trying to get rid of IBF mgmt?
    * Prof.Players boycott (probably wont happen)
    * Petitions?
    * spectator/viewer boycott?
    * Starting an alternative prof. leauge? realistic?
    * Asking the big funders (Yonex and other manufacturers) for help to fight IBF-silliness??
    * Stop playing badminton (most radical :( )

other options?

17. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

What a Bad day for Badminton ... We are undergoing rules that we totally reject .. how could we enjoy badminton as before ?!
    How a player would be able to catch up his opponent with 10 or more points between them ... so saad :(

18. victor makanju

victor makanju Regular Member

national athlete(junior),cafe attendant
    i think the 21 points,if practised in africa is going to ruin the game for that part of the world,cos we have not achieved long rallies with side out let alone talk of running scores,our play is usually short cos we use nylon shuttlecocks and see feather only at international tournaments,anyway me particularly kinda like the new scoring system.

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

To be frank and honest, I think it will be *very2 hard* for us badminton fans, fanatics, amateurs and supporters to all of a sudden stop supporting and not attend anymore IBF tournaments..Like nugroho and twobeer said, "what to do"??..
    However, IBF players can unite and voice their opinion, but only *IF* they are really serious abt it..
    But you are probably correct in your last sentence. By still supporting the new change, it opens up a chance for future "changes", whatever they are, and radical as it may be...:p :rolleyes: :(

#39 ctjcad, May 7, 2006
  20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Which scoring system are you guys using now??..and prefer which one??..

..i don't know if this thread or topic or question has been brought up in BC forum before or not...i'm just wondering, which scoring system do you guys use now to play??..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.