Day 9 : 2006 TC Final CHINA vs DENMARK (May 7 1pm)

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006' started by kwun, May 3, 2006.

1. madbad

madbad Regular Member

OK my analysis. I'll try to be brief:

MS1 PG v LD - PG wins. PG has hit an incredible purple patch. He was in total control against LCW in the semis. LD still has some discomfort with the 21 pt system and PG will make it even more uncomfortable for him.
    DEN 1-0 CHN

MD1 MLH/JE v FHF/CY - China wins. The Danes' loss in the match against CCM/KKK confirms they are slowing down and have trouble dealing with speedy players. Their form in the TC has been average while FHF/CY seem energized. Also, the Danes must be bagged from their semi-final marathon.
    DEN 1-1 CHN

MS2 KJ v BCL - BCL wins. Bao is brimming in confidence after his comeback win over Sony. KJ will grit it out as usual but Bao has the extra gear to pull away in a tight encounter.
    DEN 1-2 CHN

MD2 JR/LP v XZB/ZB - Denmark wins. Denmark pulls a surprise by dusting JR/LP off the shelf and they don't let their country down. BC supporters pressure Denmark into fielding our beloved JR :p and Denmark management relents. Seriously, experience wins out when the chips are on the line.
    DEN 2-2 CHN

MS3 CJ v JP - CJ wins. It's the battle of the TC rookies. Denmark keeps faith in JP after his heroic semi final display. CJ will be too fast and comprehensive for JP to handle though.
    DEN 2-3 CHN

Denmark are the bridesmaids again, China wins the TC 3-2

2. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper

I must agree that it is a very possible outcome although I would hope for the #1 MD pair of Jens Eriksen & Martin Lungarrd Hansen to add a winning point to Denmark's side. #2 MD should be our beloved Jonas Rasmussen and his old partner, Lars Paaske should be field in instead of Boe & Mogensen and they need to play like how they did in the 2004 TC. I think these are the three crucial points where Denmark can steal a win from.

The next possible win maybe the #2 MS as it depends on who is field in to play against Kenneth Jonassen. On paper he is weak against Bao Chunlai but some people mentioned that Bao is still recovering from and injury so he's not playing as good as before so maybe KJ might be able to pull it off against Bao if he's really lucky. I really doubt Li YongBo will field in Chen Hong as that guy has a worst record against Kenneth Jonassen. Chen Jin is still young and inexperience so Li YongBo may not risk it with him as #2 men's singles but if he is field in to play against KJ, I believe there is a slight chance he might come out ahead based on previous encounters.

The Chinese will grab the win from the #3 men's singles as Denmark do not have anyone who is strong enough to take on any of the players that China can field in for #3 men's singles (eg. Chen Hong, Xia XuanZe, or Chen Jin). I really think it is a sure lost for Denmark).

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Hmm...here's my fair share of the prediction.

S1 Lin Dan vs Peter Gade (50-50) -- this is an even match, but, Peter Gade is a man with a mission and his win over Lin Dan in the China Master has further increased his confidence for the final tomorrow. Any match between these 2 players for the past year have been explosive, full of actions, and tend to go to rubber sets (unlike the matches between Lin Dan vs Taufik Hidayat). This time, I don't think its gonna be different and I hope Peter Gade can win yet again.

D1 Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun vs Jens Eriksen/Martin Lundgaard Hansen (50-50) -- yet another even match, but, the Chinese pair appears to have an edge, esp after yesterday's semi-final encounter. Can Eriksen/Hansen deliver the crucial pt for Denmark this time round?

S2 Bao Chunlai vs Kenneth Jonassen (55-45) -- on paper, Bao should be more superior and he was totally awesome yesterday afternoon. However, Kenneth is no pushover and he has proven me wrong yesterday by beating Hafiz even after losing the first set in deuce. Kenneth's advantage is his fighting spirit and he won't give up easily. Still, I think China is going to deliver this pt.

D2 Zheng Bo (or Guo Zhendong)/Xie Zhongbo vs Mathias Boe/Carsten Mogensen (or Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen) (45-55) -- this is a pt that Denmark has to deliver at any cost, esp if they field Paaske/Rasmussen.

S3 Chen Jin vs Joachim Persson (55-45) -- again, on paper, Chen Jin holds an edge, but, he has not experienced the mental burden of having to win the Cup for China when the score is tied at 2-2. Surprisingly, many ppl still underestimate Joachim Persson even after his heroic effort yesterday....

Overall: it will be a close encounter...3-2 to any team winning it. Similar to many of you....I hope Denmark will finally win the Cup.

4. cliffy

cliffy Regular Member

he has been arrogant since day 1 playing for china, I prefer his partner Tian Bingyi better .. remember how he always criticize TB's play.. :mad:

5. cliffy

cliffy Regular Member

On current form, China has a possible chance of walking away 3-0, but it all pretty much depends on LD, if LD loses, probability of it going all the way will be there, then again, China holds the trump card in the 3rd Singles.

Persson was at most average against a nervy Beng Hong yesterday. Definitely no match for even China's no. 4 choice, Xuanze. Well, I am with China today but I hope Denmark gives them a run for the money.

6. chinadoll

chinadoll Regular Member

i hope China will win again :)

7. cindie

cindie Regular Member

The match between LD and PG will definitely be very interesting. Although I'm a die-hard fan of LD, I have a feeling LD cannot really beat PG this time. PG is in great form and more calm. LD sometimes tends to be emotional. Hopefully LD wins. :p

8. cliffy

cliffy Regular Member

The danes have long been very strong in their singles.. as far as i can remember the days of Svend Pri, Fleming Delfs, Morten Frost Hansen, Thomas Stuer Lauridsen and now Peter Gade.. a very balanced team for the Danes but I still cant see where they can squeeze out the 3rd point from the Chinese to take TC away.

9. thiery

thiery Regular Member

Where is Paul Eric Hoyer Larsen? He shall be in that hall of fame too.:D

10. westsideweiming

westsideweiming Regular Member

Why the hell does that guy have 4 names. How annoying is that.

11. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    Let's not forget our 1997 World Champion, Peter Rasmussen!

12. cliffy

cliffy Regular Member

yes guys.. thanks for reminding the greats of danish singles.. :) Paul Erik Hoyer Larssen and Peter Rasmussen...

Now how bout Chinese Badminton Greats?

Han Jian
    Luan Jin
    Sun Jun
    Zhao Jianhua
    Chen Hong
    Xia Xuanze
    Lin Dan

Care to add on the list?

Indonesian Singles Greats?

Rudy Hartono
    Liem Swie King
    Ardy Wiranata
    Alan Budi Kusuma
    Joko Suprianto
    Hastomo Arbi?
    Wow.. cant think of any greats lately.. except for Taufik Hidayat

Malaysia
    Eddy Choong
    Wong Peng Soon
    Ooi Teck Hong
    Tan Aik Huang
    Tan Aik Mong
    The nearly men - Sidek Brothers, Misbun and Rashid

13. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    Han Jian
    Luan Jin
    Sun Jun
    Zhao Jianhua
    Chen Hong
    Xia Xuanze
    Lin Dan

Malaysia
    Eddy Choong
    Wong Peng Soon
    Ooi Teck Hong
    Tan Aik Huang
    Tan Aik Mong
    The nearly men - Sidek Brothers, Misbun and Rashid

Care to add on the list?

------------------------
    Yes you forgot to add Yang Yang to the China list and Wong Choong Hann in the Malaysia list!

LCW is haven't had much chance to shine yet so we'll wait for him achieve more to be fair to him.

#73 virusvoodoo, May 5, 2006
    Last edited: May 5, 2006
  14. cliffy

cliffy Regular Member

gosh.. how could i have forgotten the exploits of yang2.. well WCH .. yeah.. I think he would make it to the Halls of fame, LCW when he burst onto the scene, he reminded me of Zhao Jianhua...

15. thiery

thiery Regular Member

How about Foo Kok Keong for Malaysia?

16. cindie

cindie Regular Member

What about Heryanto Arbi of Indonesia? I think his jumping smash is awesome. Love it.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    alright genntlemen, please stick to the topic, ok?

18. cliffy

cliffy Regular Member

sorry mate.. :) back to the topic ...

19. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

I always thought that he was the pioneer of the jumping smash in badminton, anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

20. ccskaki

ccskaki Regular Member

Sorry you are wrong in this regard. He definitely wasn't the pioneer of jumping smash. Almost all professional badminton players did jumping smash long before Arbi's era. In fact, Yang Yang, Zhao Jian Hua and other legends could do better and more deadlier jumping smash than Arbi did. In Zhao's heydays, whenever he did a jumping smash, he would score a point 60% of the time.

But, you are somewhat correct because I remember Arbi as THE one who pioneered the ALL-OUT-ATTACK style of singles play. Before that, all the top singles didn't smash as much. Most strokes from the baseline were lobs and drops. Even Zhao didn't smash as much. But Arbi was different. Arbi would smash at each and every opportunity and would not get tired. IIRC, within a 2 year span NO ONE could defend his attack and Arbi won almost every tournament he entered. But his prime was relatively short, lasting just a few year and then he faded out quite quickly. Most probably due to his exhaustive style of play. But I think he was indeed the pioneer of todays ALL-OUT-ATTACK singles style and it's a great contribution. He revolutionized single's play.

#80 ccskaki, May 5, 2006
    Last edited: May 5, 2006