Baseball?!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Eurasian =--(O), Apr 26, 2006.

1. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Can anyone explain to me the mass appeal of baseball? It almost seems to me that a bunch of people got together chose a sport to hype, they chose baseball and now all of the USA loves it! Its almost like you like it just because everyone else likes it. I really dont see how baseball is popular at all... its so boring. Many baseball players are overweight, steroids are super popular. Like seriously on sports center when they show a guy sliding to make a catch... you trained your whole life I hope you can do that! Seriously I played baseball when I was little... too slow too boring. I was pretty good too and still found it boring. Like come on. Chewing tabaco during games? So basically they play games with a buzz.

Can someone explain to me why baseball is so popular. :confused: Same with NASCAR.

2. iso300

iso300 Regular Member

Baseball and Nascar are famous because they draw in a lot of money. $$$
    Sports betting account for a big chunk of revenue too.

Baseball stadiums have large capacity crowds and therefore have more revenue from greater ticket sales and then they promote the sport to youngsters. I believe of the four major sports, baseball is the only one with the world championships played by little leaguers (12-yrs and under). "Little League World Series". It's contagious for some. Start them young.

For Nascar, it's even more boring. All they do are circular laps over and over again. Plus there are so many accidents which I'm sure many love to see. Perhaps the style of those cars appeal to many fans? :)

--------

Do you find they have made the walls a bit shorter in order for those outfielders to be able to rob many home runs? Of course the Green Monster in Boston doesn't count here. :)

3. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    Baseball might be boring to watch, but it ain't easy. A) Hitting a ball that is coming towards you with speeds varying approx. from 80 to 100 mph is the single hardest thing to do in any sporting event. B) Pro's play 160 games in regular season + pre-season + post-season = possibly around 200 games in 7 months, and some of them play every single game in the season. You can calculate how many off-days they have. C) You may see some "fatties" playing first base or DH, but 95 % of the pro's are in good shape. Baseball doesn't require same stamina as in badminton, but just try to do 200 swings against pitching machine with 35 ounce bat. Every day. D) 90 % of the pro's have to be able to throw the ball over 85 mph. And that amount doesn't include pitchers. E) Baseball is a contact sport, which usually surprises many people. You get hit by a ball (while batting, running the bases and fielding) and people in almost every game. Multiply that by 200 and you'll get a season full of bruises.

I don't love the spectators or the additional stuff around the sport (steroids, chewing tobacco etc), but I do admire the requirements that this sport puts on the athlete. And I'm saying this after having played the sport for some 15 years out of which 10 in National team level. For me already a 20 games as a catcher and 10 games as a pitcher per season is a killer :eek: :p

4. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    For any sport for that matter, I find boring to spectate. I'm a type of person who wants to be involved. I do however tune in to the tv in the final inning, period, quarter, whichever it may be to catch the final score. Lol.

5. Milto

Milto Regular Member

I love baseball. If you've never tried to hit a bseball with a baseball bat, you can't imagine how hard it is. Add to that the fact that the ball can come at you at different speeds and may curve makes it one hard thing to hit. The fun is in the strategy - pitching and managing - and there are tons of stats too. A great game. Football (soccer) is still the best but baseball is lots of fun.

6. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

it might be fun to play but do you find it fun to watch? I played baseball for a season and was pretty good but quit b/c there is too big of breaks between action.