Do Left Handers Have An Advantage?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Liam Deakin, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    Lefty vs. Lefty is also quite hard. I remember being on the verge of losing a match at a score of 12-4.... when my partner suddenly told me that the opponent with the strong smash was a lefty. It was only then that I realized that I was clearing to the wrong side :p So, lefties like me also have trouble against others :eek:

2. DutchRion

DutchRion Regular Member

Student
    Wooow, whoever told us that left handers are quicker and quicker in response must be a left-hander himself!.

The only difference is this: left-handers are used to playing right-handers
    Right-handers are not used to playing Left-handers.

And thus Left handers have a small advantage.

3. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Yeah, lefties are somewhat harder. It's my instincts to clear to my right side. Of course, I clear to the left when he's a lefty but I'll have to think a bit more. Lefties, they make me so mad that I want to.... :mad:

Nah, just kidding. But they're sometimes harder than righties. Like Lindan and what I did to my coach yesterday (he's a lefty and I just realised that I was clearing to my right).

Cheers!
    Keith

4. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    My teammate is left handed and well I've somewhat gotten used to playing against him. They have the same weaknesses as Righties do, but only on the opposite sides. I just play my normal game and if I do an attack clear, it'll just be to the opposite side. However, contrary to what some have said, my teammate that's left handed is brilliant in any kind of drops. Net drops and backcourt drops are executed quite well. And I do notice he does drop at a steeper angle than most people with a backcourt drop. But if you do play against a Lefty, don't adjust too much. It'll just mess up your normal game and create inconsistencies.

5. Akatsuki

Akatsuki Regular Member

Yeah, true, it is due to the fact that one half of their brain (left side or right side) is "more" developed than the righties. This part of the brain corresponf to the reaction speed and time.

Another fact, is that most players are righties so it is pretty hard to switch style against lefties (play on their back hands).

This is my opinion.

6. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

7. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

i use to be left handed, when i was young but my parents made me switch to right, i cant use my left hand anymore =(

8. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Is that possible?! :eek:

9. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    a lotta oriental parents does that in the old days
    i got a copule friends who was forced to become righty that way back then
    and they end up doing a certain things with one and a certain things with the other..kinda interesting cos they'r not 100% interchangable..one that i know play badminton with left but write with his right but he can't do it vise versa

10. Bigman

Bigman Regular Member

Student!
    As a lefty i would say no i don't coz all my mates who play with me are used to the fact i am a lefty. However i would say that i struggle when i play a lefty as i don't play them regularly as all my mates are right handed. But you only make the mistake of lifting onto a lefty's forehand once or twice so in conclusion i would say no we as lefty's don't have an advantage.

11. LJ1000F

LJ1000F Regular Member

Do left handed players have an advantage?

I remember reading something about lin dan and when they mentioned he was left handed they called it an advantage and i was just wondering why that is.

12. Glacyus

Glacyus Regular Member

I don't know if it's coincidence, but I remember growing up in Romania, several of the most dynamic smashers were left handed.

13. Kooladen

Kooladen Regular Member

i would think so actually.. i HAVE heard about some scientific reasoning about a slightly faster reaction time but I can definitely not prove this :confused:.. i think the main advantage is the fact.. left handers MOST of the time train/play against right handers.. same for right handers.. so if the right hander faces a lefthanded player.. he might have to change strategies and such.. while the left handed player is more likely to be used to playing right handers on a daily basis.. so yeah.. i would think a lefty vs lefty would make it neutral tho

14. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

very true.. this is what my left-handed friends told me... and when they started to face another left-hander, they really felt confused..:p:p

15. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    its because left handers can slice better, shuttle feathers are left over right when they slice theres more spin, I heard this from commentors once in the Thomas Cup 2004 final and Asian Games 2006 final, they were talking about LinDan,

16. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    But Lin Dan doesn't slice a lot, if at all. Bao Chunlai does, for his cross court drop shots, but they don't appear to be particularly effective.

In contrast, Taufik has a very deceptive cross court reverse sliced drop shot from his backhand corner.

I am pretty sure Zhao Jianhua, in his heydays, plays very deceptive slice shots. More recently, I have only heard commentators saying how deceptive Wong Choong Hann's forehand cross court sliced drop shots are.

17. bryan gogoi

bryan gogoi New Member

high school
    i really dont know about it but i have a very bad record against lefty ..in our state i won against the lefty after losing 5 times to him ,winning against him for the first time this year.i am comfortable with others but against him God knows ...have to do a lot of thinking !..guide me if you can

18. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    actually its not deceptive, left handers slicing will give the shuttle more spin so the drop will be faster

19. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Excess spins beyond the natural spin in both directions will slow the shuttle down faster.

I don't know of any study that has shown that negative spin (excess spin in the direction opposite to the natural spin of the shuttle) slows the shuttle down faster than positive spin (excess spin in the same direction as the natural spin of the shuttle).

A left handed slice does not necessarily put more excess spin on the shuttle than a right handed slice, but the excess spin from these two slices are in opposite directions. A left handed slice and a right handed reverse slice both puts negative excess spin on the shuttle. Again, I don't think there is any study that shows that the left handed slice puts more negative excess spin on the shuttle than the right handed reverse slice.

20. chingching

chingching Regular Member

quite true... i myself am a lefty too... my coach says that it could actualy help me protect my overhead as our forehand is their forehand our backhand is theirs too... i guess thats the ,main thing...:)