Is there really a need for badminton shoes?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by daph56, Nov 24, 2004.

1. joits

joits Regular Member

the amount of grip that a marathon runner needs compared too a badminton player is totally different. a marathon runner doesn't make sharp stops and sudden turns.

2. Scoobz

Scoobz Regular Member

Do some of you not understand that those 'fashion' running shoes you see in the high street sports shop aren't actually 'running shoes'... !?!

You ask a decent runner if they would wear a pair of 'high street' running shoes (e.g. Nike) and they'll probably laugh at you. Those shoes are designed to look good and provide loads of bouncy cushioning but are not designed for support. Nike and other high-street companies do make genuine running shoes, but they are not the ones you buy form a high-street store.

The majority of runners do not have perfect stride patterns and they tend to over or under pronate when running, which is seen by a rolling onto the outside or inside of the foot after the heel-strike. The majority of runners I know suggest that they over-pronate and it is the common cause of foot pain (inflammation), shin-splints and knee injuries.

For this reason, genuine running shoes (e.g. Asics, Pearl Izumis, New Balance etc.) will be technologically designed to offer cushioning and support that matches your physiology. I am more likely to roll-over (cockling my ankle) wearing many badminton shoes than I would wearing my running shoes, despite the Pearl Izumis being slightly 'higher'.

Running shoes are designed to be very light and advanced material technology is used to offer this alongside support and cushioning. If badminton shoes are so much 'faster' than running shoes, why aren't runners wearing badminton shoes?

The sole material on a badminton shoe is the critical difference and is usually found to be softer and therefore 'stickier'. I personally have no troubles changing direction in my running shoes and don't slide around uncontrolled.

The biggest problem with wearing running shoes is the stigma that is attached to them, that the black soles leave marks on the court (they don't tend to, as most decent shoes are non-marking). This is a historical issue and one that I hope clubs don't still hold. I took a long time to find a good all-round running shoe that alleviated joint problems and inflammatory pain when playing sports. I've found that solution and don't wish to take a step backwards by using a less suited badminton specific shoe.. The only problem is that I'm sure if I join my local club, someone will comment and I don't see why I should justify my situation to them (as I have done here).

3. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    badminton shoes are the most necesary part of the game, imagine playing in nike shoes and then your opponent plays a net shot? big trouble. never ever go on the court without badminton shoes or you'll die.