Foot stance for doubles backhand serve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mag, Apr 14, 2005.

?

How do you place your feet for a backhand serve in doubles?

1. Non-racquet foot forward

55.6%
  2. Racquet foot forward

33.3%
  3. Both feet (roughly) square to the net

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It varies, depending on which side I serve from

11.1%
  1. egibooga

egibooga Regular Member

OHHHHH!!! i thot u meant receiving serve lol. my first response was non racquet foot foward. but i really put my racquet foot foward lol :):)

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

racket-foot.
    tought to me like that because in that way it doesn't blok my racket-motion (i had to swing back then)
    and it seems easier to get in to ready-stance.

3. sslam72

sslam72 Regular Member

Is there a right or wrong? Probably not.

In my observations when coaching players of mixed abilities, most people will naturally use a serving stance where the foot on the racquet side is at the front i.e. traditional text book stance.

However, having coached players I have noticed that the position of the feet will depend on:
    1) Differing body shapes - feet position will change to compensate shape and weight distribution for best balance
    2) Natural individual comfort position of shuttle hand when placed in front of them. (Arguably, you could say that if they get their feet position right, the natural position of the shuttle hand will be pretty consistent for most people.)
    3) The serving action. A short or long swing will affect the way someone choses to stand when serving.
    4) IMHO, most importantly it's the eye bias. If you have 20/20 vision or near 20/20, then you might expect to see more common use of the traditional stance. Where variance may begin is where the individual prefers to use their right or left eye.

Maybe we should be doing a poll to see whether the stronger eye influences the stance chosen when serving???

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I don't know, but I think when I serve to left, I put my left foot front; serving right, I put my right foot front. It might be just better feels for me :p
    (shorter distance of traveling? well, it could be ;) )

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Same here. I think it's mainly because it helps me "line up" against the lines.

Again, service stance is very much a personal preference. Objectively, there's no clear advantage to any of the different feet positions.

6. LD-DL

LD-DL Regular Member

Student
    Well, do ppl normaly notice which eye they use?:confused: I mean i dont relly know which eye i use when i serve... i serve with my non-racket foot forward btw... as i was saying, i dont really think ppl actually thinks about which eye to use when serving...:confused:

i havnt been tought how to play cuz all my gym coaches rnt badminton coaches:( , but i found myself always using non-racket foot forward cuz of my balance... last time a friend told me to serve with my racket foot forward i actually fell backwards while serving... the second time i tried the birdie went too high so i ended up with a smash...:(

But i certainly didnt notice of which eye i use more on a serve...

7. Hagane

Hagane Regular Member

Transport Consultant
    I think what sslam72 is talking about is lazy eye syndrome.

When a person's eye turns myopic or hyperopic, it's common that it's not at the same rate. So one of your eyes are more myopic than the other.

The position of your feet for serving is a personal issue, the serving technique is the one that varies very little from one to next :)

I have balance from my racquet foot forward, and not the other. ;)

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I used to serve with my racquet foot forward, but switched later on because I gained more consistency from the new posture. For those who worried about their bodies getting in the way of their backswing when they flick with the non-racquet foot forward, it's really nothing. First off, having a huge backswing would telegraph your flick to your opponent. Secondly, you don't need a backswing when you can flick properly by using your fingers more than your wrist. Your flick service doesn't need to be long, just high and long enough to blunt the smash service return.

In addition, I find my new serving stance more stable after I changed. My neck is not unnecessarily strained from look to the side to serve. So all these benefits add up.

#48 cappy75, Mar 2, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  9. kyiyu

kyiyu Regular Member

General Manager
    Me? ? Just follow the suite as professional like Peter Gade and Lindan. So racket foot is forward. But play like a kid with basic skill and not a professional.

10. Misbehavin

Misbehavin Regular Member

Bean counting part time, imaginary baddy fulltime
    Slightly off topic in Dinkalot's photo above, it that an illegal serve???

I changed from non racket offt forward to racket foot forward when serving from the right (I am right handed) . I fine I can move a little better cross court to cover the short reply. And non racket foot forward when serving from the left court.

11. carimari

carimari Regular Member

from the look of it, it may end up being legal. ie, the shuttle is just being released and by the time the racket face hit the corks, it may be well within the legal boundaries.

12. d-arke

d-arke Regular Member

You seriously don't want to know. It's way too bor
    sorry if this has been posted already, i havent read through everyones replies. but when i serve backhand, regardless of left/right box, i serve with my racket foot forward as it allows me space to bring my racket back in case i want to flick a serve to the back otherwise i just hit my hip and fumble the serve into the net. reason being i can't get enough power otherwise

13. Radium

Radium Regular Member

Student
    I play at an intermediate level and most people I play, like me have the raquet foot forward, because as many people say it allows then to swing.

However, when you watch international doubles, they tend to stand square. I think this is because the likely return of serve will be a drop or a push and so the server is more likely to be moving left and right, not backwards.

Also, because doubles is dominated by the low serve and attack, one foot doesnt really need to be leading, because the only purpose this has is to prepare for a smash or clear (which wont happen at the net). A server will be waiting to push or tap the return to keep the attack, and push and taps tend to be used with a square stance.

#53 Radium, Mar 24, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  14. acolyte

acolyte Regular Member

i think if your non-racket feet is foward, there is a slight little chance that your racket might just hit your leg, but thatz very rare. I could do both feet and racket feet up, and i do good serves with both

15. randomdood

randomdood Regular Member

i put racket foot forward but i voted wrong woops

16. aZn_Popcorn

aZn_Popcorn Regular Member

racket foot forward for me.it just seems the most natural

17. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

student/ working in sport shop/ stringing
    i stand with my racket foot forwards so that i am ready to attack the return of serve.

18. joshww81

joshww81 Regular Member

i used to play with my non-racquet leg for such serves but am recently changing to the racquet leg, primarily because i'm trying of getting into the habit of keeping my right leg forward in start-position most of the time. i realised that with my change i need to take only two steps to the net, as opposed to three with my non-racquet leg, to counter a drop shot. movement also feels smoother.

19. olle_whitehead

olle_whitehead Regular Member

this is tricky one to answer for me for if i'm playing mens level doubles then i stand completly square to the net BUT if i'm mixed doubles then i will place my racket foot forward. however when i play singles i will place my non racket foot forward. so for me it really does depend on what game i am playing

20. rawr1292

rawr1292 Regular Member

student
    the non - racket foot foward thing is not incorrect. you get to choose whether or not to have your right foot or left foot out.:p
    i find having my racket foot out easier, but some people prefer their non racket foot because it helps them move back a bit better.