sepak takraw

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by cooler, Dec 14, 2002.

1. event

event Regular Member

So it is a special ball but it is the same size - size 5 - as a soccer ball. In other words, 20-22 cm in diameter. The inflation pressure is slightly lower than a soccer ball, though, at 0.56 Kg/cm2 as opposed to .63Kg/cm2 for a soccer ball.

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Thais are dominating this game. Malaysia used to be good in it and was always on par with the Thais. But thais are much better.

3. alvinlai

alvinlai Regular Member

Legal Counsel
    Actually I think I read about the G-O-L-F thingy from some Reader's Digest Book of Did You Know. I'm sure Reader's Digest wouldn't publish anything dodgy as that? What I actually meant was, like in the olden days, golf was only played by "gentlemen" and a sign saying Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden would linger around club houses started in Scotland. Therefore this quotation linger around with golf, being sexist then, but not anymore~ just look at Michelle Wie~ tall, dark and pretty?:p

4. alvinlai

alvinlai Regular Member

Legal Counsel
    I still remember my malay teachers kicking it about in the tarmac carpark during teacher's day as there will be a teacher-student match later. Any of such memories ants?

5. event

event Regular Member

Check this link out regarding golf. As I said, these folk etymology explanations are often repeated without verification. Posh is believed by many to have originated as an acronym for Port Out Starboard Home, used to describe the preferred cabins on British ocean liners going down to the horn of Africa. Serious linguists have debunked this myth time and again. Same with the f-word having originated as an acronym for "for unlawful carnal knowledge", a phrase supposedly hung above the cells of *** offenders in medieval times or something. All apocryphal. The most famous is "okay". People often quote early 20th century linguist H.L. Mencken's conclusion that is was an acronym for orl korrect or Old Kinderhooks. Both of these are references to some obscure American politician whose nickname was apparently "Old Kinderhooks" and who supposedly pronounced "all correct" as "orl korrect". Sound pretty farfetched? Supposedly linguists have more recently discovered that it is more likely to have derived from a word of African origin.

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I don't remember. But i do remember that i took part in Teacher-student soccer match. And i was glad coz i tackled my teachers! hehehe. Well they tackled me as well.

7. event

event Regular Member

Oddy enough, last night I saw the Korean game, jokgu on TV for the first time ever. There are some cool shots but it is very slow and there isn't the leaping that you see in badminton, volleyball or sepak takraw. One guy did a sort of cartwheel version of this kick but it wasn't the same.
    [​IMG] It's a little like in tennis where the motion a player goes through for a winner looks like any other shot, unlike the spectacle of a badminton smash.

The problem with the Korean game I saw last night was that, even with the fact that the ball is allowed to bounce before a defensive shot, the rallies were very short. I wonder if sepak takraw would be similar. I look forward to seeing some during the Asian Games this fall. I hope some makes it to TV.

#47 event, Mar 22, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  8. txyu

txyu Regular Member

Manager Fitness Facility
    YouTube has plenty of videos of Sepak Takraw games

Just do a search

9. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!

Ohh......thanx dude....I use you tube alot but never thought of searching on that:confused:

Thanyou.

10. didierblack

didierblack New Member

student
    it needs to much flexibility you must back dive or cartwheel to be able to kill the it kinds a hard game but a cool one too!!!

my friend is a good player it like just a badminton but you use your body head toes and feet too...

you will amaze if you watch a real game

it was also popular here in philippines played almost of teens

11. riz-nie

riz-nie Regular Member

it must be very painful to learn playing sepak takraw...err i think badminton is better...How do they stretch their feet out like that....does it hurt???

12. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

WOw..Sepak takraw..This is a painful and tough sport. I used to watch this game on tv before when i was in Malaysia. Many friends of mine can play sepak takraw as well.

Well, Malaysia ended their 12- year gold drought for sepak takraw last year in the SEA Games by beating their long time rival Thais. Besides Badminton, sepak takraw is one of the national sport. So you could imagine how delightful the nation was when they won the gold medal last year.

However, i think Thai is going to dominate in the coming Asia Games.

I agree that Sepak takraw is a combination of badminton, volleyball and football.

13. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

I think the net is as high as the badminton net. The players need to jump and do some acrobatics to hit the ball.