HELP!!! Muscle power 99/armortec 800 of/def

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by hiphos56, Mar 19, 2006.

1. hiphos56

hiphos56 Regular Member

i need help!!, i've been playing for a club for about 4months now and i need a new racket, i have an old muscle power 24 i know its more a defensive racket, but im more an offensive player, at my club we always play doubles but i like to play my singles aswell, i've got around £120 to spend and dont know what to get. i've been looking at a muscle power 99 and the armortec 800, (in some threads some people are saying the defensive version is better than the offensive) i just want a racket that i can play well with in both doubles and singles and can still give me the power and control i want.
    ANYONES HELP IS REALLY APPRECIATED!!!

2. Shimotakimas

Shimotakimas Regular Member

i would suggest an armortec de 3u (not 4u) you stated that u want control as well as power and out of the three, i think the armortec de has the best control but for the power part, a 4u armotecde doesnt give me enough power so i would suggest a 3u one.

3. K3vin

K3vin Regular Member

Maybe you should try out the At800 and mp99. They aren't that much different from each other, so it comes down to preference. I have tried both (3u mp99 and a 4u at800def) and I feel that the mp99 gives a bit more power in my strokes. I don't know about the 3u version tho. Be sure to try them out if you can!

4. Slacker

Slacker Regular Member

Baddy Fanatic/Addict FULL-TIME!!!
    Hi hiphos56, i currently have a 3U AT800DE and 3U Mp99 ...both Bg85 at 24Lbs. So here's my brief comparison about this two rackets. Mp99 clears well....baseline to baseline shots are easier, drops/slices are better, feel and control at the net feels better...and smashes are powerful and very good accuracy also....where u want the shuttle to go...it will go there. But that's perhaps also a disadvantage...as this racket is quite unforgiving. The shuttle will go "dead" if never hit the sweetspot. As it is extra-stiff, i just feel one needs to be always at the right position to execute yr shots properly...if caught wrong-footed or out of position, most likely will find it real hard to do a decent shot back.

As for AT800DE, the stringbed feels better.... racket feels less vibration....much more stable...a very compact kinda feeling when contact with the shuttle. Lifts and drives are excellent...IMO, smashes are more powerful with the AT800DE. the racket has a whippy effect to every shot(heavy head+more flexible shaft)...so it feels real nice for some fast hard drives during doubles...and thou its head-heavier than the Mp99, its sure swings faster and u can feel the racket "cuts thru the air" sort of feeling....maybe due to its aero frame design. i also tink its more forgiving...somehow..the sweetspot area feels much bigger den the Mp99....net kills and intercepts are better...more at ease. and i also find that sometimes when out of position...still able to make a decent shot at least.

Hope it helps u some way in deciding which to purchase, and perhaps borrow from yr friends if they have one and try it out...but both rackets are excellent rackets thou. :D

5. snoopy

snoopy Regular Member

i have both rackets, both are very good rackets. i find the mp 99 an easier racket to live with as an all round racket, good power, excellent control and touch.

it would be an advantage if you could play with both, has no one at your club got any of these rackets you could try?

6. hiphos56

hiphos56 Regular Member

thanks to all of you these do really do help, no know one has alot of them have all got nanospeeds and muscle power 88, i dont like the nanospeeds i like head heavy or even balanced rackets is the muscle power 99 anything like the 88?

7. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    hey man~..if u like head heavy rackets or balance then u should get the armortec 800 (off) or the MP 99 if u want more of an all around type of racket..I own both rackets and I can say tht my MP 99 tends to control alot better than my Armortec 800 (off)

8. smurf

smurf New Member

Am thinking of getting a Mp99 too, so have been looking to find cheap prices. www.milletsports.co.uk have them for £79 with free delivery, the armortec 800's are £108.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Both MP99 and AT800 DE are excellent rackets, and there's NO "better" racket when it applies to different individuals. It's much easier and better to try the rackets with your hand, rather than reading more spec / reviews.

My suggestion is to borrow/rent the rackets from a local store or fellow club/team members. Take a light drill sessions with the different rackets, and you will be able to make your own decision in no time. ;)

10. alex_jacobsen

alex_jacobsen Regular Member

Student
    Camrose, Alberta, Canada. (1 hour south of edmonto
    I have an MP-99 with

11. alex_jacobsen

alex_jacobsen Regular Member

Student
    Camrose, Alberta, Canada. (1 hour south of edmonto
    sorry, BG-65 Ti's at 21 lbs. and its awesome. i use my friends AT8000DE sometimes and i must say its great for smashing, but you cant return smashes as well, and the net play is worse tha the MP-99. Although you should definetely try them out first because personal preference is the biggest decision maker, id say the MP-99 is your racquet

12. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    yea..so no need to think further man..mp99 is 4 u..unless u decide to get a nanospeed 8000/9000 is a different story~cuz using my nanospeed 8000 feels a lot better than my mp 99..so yea..depends wut kinda player u r too..:) ..heh..i actually regret buying my amortec 800 (off)..:crying: ..should've DEF one..o wellz..guess im happi w/ my current family of mp 99, armortec 800 (off), n nanospeed 8000..n gonna getta nano 9000 for a gift soon..so itz all gd..=)

13. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Hi.

I would recommend the following:

AT700
    AT800 OF
    Nanospeed 8000

The AT700 is primarily a singles racket but the 4U is fast enough to be considered an offensive doubles racket with enough defense.

The AT800 OF is primarily a doubles racket but can be used in singles with enough power (especially if you can wield the 3U)

The Nano 8000 to me is more ideal for singles but I've recently found it does well for doubles. Excellent clears and can be fast enough for defense. Almost as fast as the AT800 OF

14. eizmed

eizmed Regular Member

Doctor
    I agree with stantan and Ah Shum,

As you like to play both singles and doubles, there is nothing wrong using a so called "single's" racket for doubles game. Often at the club level, a great smash may end the rally earlier and save the more aggressive team more energy in the long run.

So you should also consider Armortec 700, 800 Offence. Other possibilities include MP 100 and nanospeed 9000x. Nano9kX is interesting as it is head light but smashes like a dream too.

But the truth is, you don't really know until you can test it out at the tension that is most suitable for you. It may be hard to find these rackets to test and even harder at the desired tension, so ask around your club and make friends with someone who has.

Good luck!

:)

15. Lin Dan-Fan

Lin Dan-Fan Regular Member

I had an At800 OF 4U. THe power was increddddible, baseline to baseline with ease and smash is crazy. The only problem with the At800 Of is the control, net shots is hard to place tightly over the net and clears goes out if not careful because the racket is really strong. I broke it last week smashing a birdie, and i borrowed my friend's MP99 for a couple times. Well the other guy was right when he said this racket is VERY UNFORGIVING, i had trouble hitting the sweetspot consitently after a couple days of playing. But once in a while u get it right there and the smash is really strong. So i hope this help in your decision :)

16. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    haha I tihnk after all these posts itz pretti sure wut the majority thinks..MP99~..just the banner itself on this site shows an mp 99..itz a sign man~..lolz..peace

17. Dong1

Dong1 New Member

hihi,

Mp99 is a well balanced racket. It has a solid feel to it. I find it a bit stiff.
    Its really a sturdy and well built racket. I have hit my partners racket a few times and its still in one piece. He on the other hand has broken 2 AT800of.

At800of, is a very light racket. It flexs a bit more and for me this translates to a very powerfully smash. I love this racket but the thing is
    its a very delicate and fragile racket. I use 28lbs of tension on it and have gone thru 2 rackets already. So make sure you get 2 if you can afford it.

At800def, for me would a merger of both rackets. Good all around racket. The smash is a bit weaker compared to the AT800of, but control feels much better.

Cheers,