Training Racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by JChen99, Feb 6, 2006.

1. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    those lead pencils are acutally graphite not lead. i believe they contain mainly graphite or are completely made of graphite. No idea. Google it :p

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Just bought a 195-grms squashign racket...should I restring it with bg-65?:cool:

3. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    Carlton should have string as thick as 0.76mm diameter

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

squashing string is 1.0-1.3...what's wrong with putting a 0.70 through?

would it stop that dead feeling?

5. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    but why u even want to put badminton string over a squash racket..

when they say train with a squash racket they mean swing with it
    and train your waist power
    not meaning u acutally play a badminton game with it..
    if u do.. i can only see some bad injury coming.

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, not actually playing a set. but more power-training. multiple-shuttle-feed trainings.

It was just a crazy idea....a lame excuse to do more tinkering on my racket;)

7. chessymonkey

comp tech
    i guess it would really catch some attentions when u go in a training section with a squash racket. Would probaly be a lotta fun if u don't mind
    the muscle acking afterward.

8. forrestyung

Salesman
    Just another alternative for BG-65. :D If you would like to use YY's thickest string, so just consider the thicker Carlton String to make a more extreme racket.

9. forrestyung

Salesman
    I have been using squash racket for training, but only for those fingering actions. I agree with you that it is really very easy to get hurt when swinging with mass movement. :)

10. jerby

jerby Regular Member

In all honesty..I hate thick strings....but i also feel bg-80 is wasted on a squashing racket...

11. forrestyung

Salesman
    i c!! Please let me know the feeling after strung the badminton string on squash racket, thanks!! My adidas squash racket is coming, if your result is good, I will try on it. :D

12. jerby

jerby Regular Member

gonna take a while before I do it...I feel it would be a waste of a string-set on my squashing-racket. But if I empt yout on of my reels there most definatly be some length of 8m left...to little for a Baddy-racket, enough for my squasher...

reason is: I don't cut of at 4,5 and 5,5 (two piece-stringing) but about 5,1 and 4,1 wich gives me just enough length to finish it....and with a 200m reel. cutting 9,2m at a time you'll get 21 baddy-rackets and 6~7m leftover...that'll be for my squasher...I hope...

EDIT: btw..addidas makes squash-rackets? got a picture? why thát specific one?

#32 jerby, Mar 2, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  13. event

event Regular Member

The local middle school girls team practice with actual squash racquets. I've seen pros warm up with them, too. Like Hong Kong's Albertus Susanto Njoto. It is so popular here in Korea, that on some badminton online shops they sell budget ($30) squash racquets exclusively for wrist training. I was going to buy one but then thought I'd get a decent squash racquet instead in case I dredge up that game on occasion one day. Then I was rummaging around a Canadian basement and came across an old wooden one of the vintage Taneepak describes. That was cheaper than $30, to be sure. It is also closer to the right length and grip size. I figure it must be at least as heavy as a graphite squash racquet. The badminton-sized racquet head also means that I can put a head cover on it for increased weight and air resistance on a swing but that puts quite the strain on my arm.

14. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I don't liek the head-cover method...The air-resistance practically demands my wrist to turn sideways..doesn't feel nice..

15. chessymonkey

comp tech
    yah but the badminton racket + head cover method seems SAFER then using just a squash racket

the thing is head cover is using air resistence to make you apply more force to complete the swing but the racket itself remains light so the overall weight remains relatively similar to a normal racket. As soon as you stop applying force the racket will decrease speed naturlly.

However when using a squash racket. the racket itself is much heavier and
    when u swing it with a decent speed, the racket process a momentom to continue its motions. if not swing properly or for example if u see its gonna hit something deadly like yr mom's face. You try to change its path of motion, the racket might already have more momentum then your wrist can counter. pulling your wrist to move in an unwanted direction result in injury.
    And end up still hitting yr mom in da face which lead to more injury.

16. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well... wirth the baddy-racket I really hard a hard time keeping that resistance... and woudl hit my knee if I lost it. with the short-fast-finger-power movement i do wiht the squasher I didn't feel anything with the cover-racket...

but this is all heavily biased, since Ihacen't hit msyelf yet wiht the squasher..and multiple times with the cover-baddy-racket....:p

17. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    I thought any racquet can be training racquet?

18. jerby

jerby Regular Member

how very observent of you....

what teh starter meant was a racket wich give sincreased difficulty of swinging. to train your arm..

19. event

event Regular Member

This is interesting. What I don't like about the head cover is that I don't trust it not to damage my badminton racquet. I have tried it with cheap racquets from a backyard set and broke two within a single drive session each. That scared me in terms of using my regular racquets. The shaft of my Carlton separated from the grip and I attributed that to using the cover (possibly one that was too heavy so I got a lighter one). I've considered just putting cellophane on the strings of the ancient wooden racquet I have to increase air resistance without increasing the weight.

As for a squash racquet being too heavy, I find that squash has similar wrist snapping motions to badminton and I didn't have any problems when I used to play squash so I wouldn't anticipate any when not hitting one of those heavy balls. As for a tennis racquet, I don't believe they are designed to be whipped as quickly or as tightly so I wouldn't try them.

20. Woofsta

Woofsta Regular Member

Student
    Why wont you just use a wooden racket xD