shaft, cone and handle

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kwun, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Magic Orco

Magic Orco Regular Member

Under the handle cap there are cuts too:

Attached Files:

2. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    Fischer and Pro-Kennex have this design for many years. As per my painful experience, the Real One Piece (the terms form Fischer) the rackets must be broken around 1 inch above the cone and a supplier explained to me that it is a structure problem. In recent years, near all brands give up this kind of design, I believe that Yonex must know the exact problem for Real One Piece and not to develop it.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    for the record. i used some epoxy (aka A/B glue) to glue the shaft and cone back into the racket.

i mixed the glue, used a wooden skewer, took some glue and then applied the glue inside the handle. and then i inserted the shaft into the handle and then wiggled in so the glue applies evenly. during this stage, the glue started to fill into the crack in handle.

the last step was to apply some glue to the wooden cone and then i pushed the plastic cone tightly onto the wooden cone. after a couple of days, the whole thing seems to be rather solid.

my friend got his racket back and he says it feels like new. ;)

4. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

He also says thank you for fixing the racquet and that he will probably be playing at open gym this saturday if his knee permits it. ;)

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

i hope he won't ask kwun to fix his knee too given that the racket fix turn out so well ;)

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i still have a lot of epoxy left...

7. m_poppema

m_poppema Regular Member

This night while playing in the gym I heared a cracking sound comming of my racket..
    It came form the cone..and I thought the shaft might be broken..
    When I read all this it gives me a lot of hope that my racket can be saved..
    I was planning of buying a new one anyway (cab20ms/cab30ms)
    but I never want to get rid of my cab8200 (hope she can be saved)
    it's such a nice racket for me..

8. m_poppema

m_poppema Regular Member

I had the same problem with the racket as was mentioned above..
    I saved my racket today and will try it again on monday :)
    As far as the new racket's concerned, I have to wait a bit
    coz my clubmate (and yonex-dealer) is in the states for 2 more weeks..

[​IMG]

#48 m_poppema, Apr 2, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  9. outlah

outlah Regular Member

government hand-out
    How did you remove the cone from the handle? Or did it just came off by itself. It's difficult to see how one can remove the cone without damaging the handle especially when it's so narrow up top. Thanks.

10. m_poppema

m_poppema Regular Member

It came off by itself indeed...that's the whole problem
    if the cone isn't loose there's no way the wood inside the cone is going to crack imho..

By the way..like I wrote earlier, I tried to save my racket using superglue..
    There's still a cracking noise in the top of the cone, probably coz I didn't use enough glue there :(
    No I'm waiting for the bottom part of the cone to get loose again so I can try to do a better job this time..

11. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Isn't superglue very brittle? You might want to look into using what kwun used which was epoxy i think.

12. m_poppema

m_poppema Regular Member

I think I used the right glue...I've asked various people and they all said it should be ok...
    Maybe superglue isn't the right term though...I just call it like that because in my eyes it's super glue ;)

13. qrayq

qrayq New Member

glue and technical problem

my racket's shaft is loose from the handle. it can be turned around and i can even pull it out completely. my question is, can i use epoxy glue to glue it back by spreading the needed shaft area and just stick into the handle directly? what concerns me is that by doing that process, wouldn't be the glue be filtered out and not being enforced?

Do I have to dissemble it piece by piece?
    Any suggestions guys?

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i used a kebob skewer/stick (basically a very long toothpick) to apply the epoxy to the inside of the handle. don't use too little and don't overdo it. if there are any overflowing of glue, it is ok as the plastic cone will cover it.

15. qrayq

qrayq New Member

thank you for your fast reply kwun,
    i think i forgot to mention about that the cone is still intact to the handle.

16. purejimcn

purejimcn Regular Member

Hi guys, I seem to have the same problem with my Hi-qua SQ10, which I bought from a national side player here in South Africa(There seems to be no such model when I search for it online). Anyways my problem is similar to the ones already mentioned but yet different. The racket has a clicking sound but the cone has not yet come off, it is in fact very steady because I couldnt remove it when I tried. On the small part of the cone though(the part joining it to the shaft) there are little cracks on it. The clicking sound did get worse in the last month or so, is this as bad as the problems mentioned before mine??? How can I fix this??? PLEASE HELP...

17. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

I glued the cone back to the handle woth epoxy so the cone can't come off but my shaft were still loose, it's hard to take it off but you can do it, just turn and pull the shaft by holding the racket head.

18. Woofsta

Woofsta Regular Member

Student
    Funny thing about this is me and my friend was rallying her racket cone part looked very dangerous and as soon as she swung her racket, the shaft and frame flew so close to me head i could hear the whoosh sound o_O . Well back to the problem, I acually had my cuzin wielded my old Yonex racket back on but it gets not much control anymore =[ . Yeah so try epoxy glue . i hope it helps =]

19. event

event Regular Member

In the past few years, I've had 3 different racquets break in all different ways.

In the case of my Carlton Megaflex F1, the shaft just came loose from within the handle. The problem was obviously beyond the plastic cone. Carlton Korea (this was just before the parent company ceased to exist) "fixed" it by giving me a new handle that looks as if it was made by a high school shop class dropout. I'll post a photo of it next time I replace my overgrip.

My Victor Super Nano's plastic cone just developed a crack. I cross-border (across an ocean) shopped for it so I didn't bother sending it to Victor, assuming they wouldn't fix it under warranty. Besides, it only made a sound when turned one way. I taped it up with hockey tape and it stopped making the clicking sound. A mid-air clash made that problem a non-issue.

My Gosen Roots Gavun WPP 5300 handle just snapped in my hand yesterday evening. Below the cone, if you can believe that! The shop is across from the gym so I had them send it to Gosen and couldn't photograph it, as I'd have liked to.

I'm surprised at the photos on this thread for two reasons. One is that you guys have screws in your grips. I've only seen two grips. The crap I got as a replacement from Carlton and an old stainless steel Yonex B700 or something. In both, the shaft was held in place by a nail, not a screw. I tried separating the handle from the shaft of the old Yonex but found that the epoxy was so strong that I tore the wood apart trying to get it off. I never did succeed and had to tear the stainless steel shaft apart just to come close to getting it off. The vinyl cone over the tapered wood was the same deal. The glue was so strong I had to tear the cone off with pliers bit by bit. I was hoping to use an old wooden grip to replace the terrible one on my Carlton but that experience caused me to lose all hope.

20. kikks9

kikks9 Regular Member

I just want to say, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread :)
    thanks to everybody for contributing !! i learned something very useful :)