BMW & Mercedes Benz

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Pete LSD, Feb 5, 2006.

1. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    haha, my girlfriend says the same thing. She's a surgeon in the last year of residency. Don't worry, students are always broke.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Own and owned

Japanese Cars Score Highest in Magazine By DEE-ANN DURBIN, AP Auto Writerd
    13 minutes ago

For the first time in nine years, all of the top picks in Consumer Reports' annual vehicle guide are made by Japanese automakers. The Honda Civic is the magazine's top small sedan, while the Toyota Highlander Hybrid is the top mid-sized sport utility vehicle, according to results released Wednesday.

Vehicles from Nissan Motor Co. and Subaru, a division of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd., round out the top picks in 10 categories.

Asian brands also fared best in the magazine's survey of vehicle reliability. Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus brand was first, while Honda was second and the Toyota brand was third. Ford Motor Co.'s Mercury brand was the only domestic nameplate to crack the top ten.

Consumer Reports' rankings are important to automakers, even though companies can't use the ratings in their advertising. Consumer Reports spokeswoman Lauren Hackett said the April auto issue is consistently the magazine's most popular, selling more than 300,000 copies at newsstands. That's twice as many copies as its second-most popular issue, the November electronics issue.

Consumer Reports named its top picks based on road and track tests, evaluations of comfort, convenience and fuel economy, crash protection ratings from the government and insurance industry and readers' reliability rankings. The magazine said it recently tested more than 200 vehicles to come up with its top picks.

Honda had the most winners, snagging top picks in five of the ten categories. Besides the redesigned Civic, the Honda Accord was the top family sedan between $20,000 and $30,000 and the Acura TL was the top upscale sedan between $30,000 and $40,000. The Honda Odyssey was the top minivan and the Honda Ridgeline, which is Honda's first entry in the pickup market, was the top pickup.

Toyota and Subaru each had two winners, including the Subaru Forester for small SUV and the Toyota Prius for "green car." Nissan had one, the M35 luxury sedan, which the magazine called "an excellent balance of performance, comfort and handling."

Reliability rankings are based on a survey of Consumer Reports subscribers who are asked if they have had serious problems with their vehicles in the past 12 months. The survey questions readers about 17 different trouble spots. For this year's survey, readers rated their experience with 810,000 vehicles from the 1998 through 2005 model years.

Consumer Reports said Japanese and Korean brands had 12 problems per 100 vehicles, while U.S. automakers had 18 problems and European makers had 21 problems. Asian and U.S. automakers have been improving their scores but appeared to stall in 2005, the magazine said. European automakers' ratings haven't changed substantially in the last four years, the magazine said.

After Lexus, Honda and Toyota, the brands rounding out the top ten for reliability were Mitsubishi, Subaru, Acura, Scion, Mercury, Mazda and Suzuki. The ten lowest-rated brands were Audi, Infiniti, Saturn, Lincoln, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen, Land Rover, Hummer and Porsche.

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
  6. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Aren't they just Toyota, Nissan and Honda renamed for the American market?

As of Quasimodo, been 'priviledged' enough to ride in a couple but nowhere near the ability to actually own one. :)

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

nope, not rename brands, we also have toyota, honda, nissan here as well.
    lexus, infiniti, acura are high end lines of above manufacturers. Price, quality reflects that too

8. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Hmm. Always thought they were doing what Japanese companies usually do : establish a separate company on host soil and register it as a local company, then rebrand the products and do significant enough changes to the car to make it different in blueprint to their parent products. Produce it locally and you won't be subject to the taxation laws and international tariffs. In the mean time, employ thousands of local people in the workforce to soften the government's eye further.

Read a lot about the American government trying to limit the Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans but little word on the luxury lines as mentioned above.

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
  10. myself.

myself. Regular Member

Student
    was the Acura RL 3.0 or 3.5? well, if you compare Acura RL to Lexus GS430, i guess you will find another story.

5 or 6 years ago, we tested Acura(3.0), Honda(Accord), Lexus(ES300), Toyota(Camry 3.0)...both Acura and Honda's engine were too noisey...so we bought a ES300...eventually, we trade up to LS400 a few years ago

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I agree totally that the Mercedes's quality got worsened. My old BMW is even tougher than the new mercedes that i drove. Kinda regret getting it. BMW is still better. Beside that Audi is also good.

12. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    Audi is sooo expensive in M'sia

13. ants

ants Regular Member

But Audi is a good and reliable car. Its much faster than the merc and bmw. Have good acceleration and torque. However the new A6 is better than the old one.

14. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Theoretical question:

How fast can you drive on an Audi/Merc/BMW/Ferrari in Malaysia without breaking the law?

Then, is it practical to actually spend more cash on bigger horsepower - let's not deny it, much of the pricing is due to the engine.

Answer on a foolscape, 1.5 spacing, 1000 characters maximum. Valid sources must be quoted - Wikipedia sources NOT accepted.

;)

15. ants

ants Regular Member

How fast without breaking the law? Hmmm 110Kph! Beyond that you have already broke the law. But going faster without being caught is another matter. But there is a way of going much faster than 110kph without breaking the law. ...Sepang Track days!

16. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

As fast as you want... in Pasir Gudang. :D

17. myself.

myself. Regular Member

Student
    i like the image of Mercedes and the impressive handling of BMW.

the quality of Mercedes is really dependent on the class of the car: S, E, M, C...my friend has got an M class and told me that it's merely a Chrysler with MB name

#37 myself., Nov 22, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  18. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    i dont like that circle thing sticking at the car's front cause if you park it outside some kids will rip it off

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Hahah sounds familiar.. well i once did that when i was a small kid. Got a BMW and a Mercedes logo. Eventually i got caught...good thing is that both the owners didn't send me to the police. They asked me why do i do that. I simply told them that i always dream of driving a mercedes and a bmw. Since i dont have money.. i hope the logo can make my dream come true. Well i was really innocent then.. so the let me go. But when i went home.. all hell broke lose coz my mom cane me after my teacher told her about the incident.
    Those were the days.

20. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Lolz!!!

Ants, you tha Man!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing. Maybe your own real bmw / merc is just around the corner!!! ;)