(Very) odd man out looking for a match

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by dweebus, Sep 12, 2005.

1. dweebus

dweebus Regular Member

civil engineer, bass guitar monkey
    So here's the deal. At my local university there are currently six courts set up. I go at random times of the day when my work (and wife) schedule allows. I have no one to take with me, as I have no friends who play enough to want to make the trip. Heck, most people laugh when I tell them I love to play badminton. So I go and practice serving, hit against the wall, practice smashing, and the like. Most of the time, I'm the only person there.

On Sunday, I went and there were quite a few players. Three of the courts were occupied by players who seemed more serious.

So here's the rub. I'm a rather large (6'1" 225#) white guy and all of the more serious players were Asian. I'm not sure what nationality they were.

I am uncertain as to what to do. I would like to play against more quality opponents in order to improve my game, but I am unsure how to approach the foreign (to me) players. I know that I don't fit the stereotypical look:eek: and build of a badminton player, but I know I have at least some ability to play. And I sure do love the game.

I'm afraid that my inexperience with badminton etiquette, language barrier, and odd appearance will prevent me from getting a match with anyone but the wall.:(

Any advice?

2. shanepaul86

shanepaul86 Regular Member

student
    Most of them can speak english right? Don't bother too much just stand out and asked them whether they would like to play with you or not. I face the same things but i have cope it since i join badmintoncentral. The good player starts from zero, no one are born with the racquet in hand.
    ;)
    Most people would not decline if they are interested in badminton.

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Try playing with somebody else you know first, sort of as a window of what you can do with the shuttle, for a while, say half a month? Then, the regulars would be able to see how good you are in badminton to warrant a game. The serious players won't really care how you look if you play good.

When I mean good, I mean as in a player whom would put up a challenge rather than frustrating them with unusual shots, strokes and strings of unforced errors - which means you don't have to smash like Lin Dan or control the net like Gade; just capable of playing badminton, that's all.

Normally language won't be a trouble - it's all spoken with the drops, smashes and net tumbles on the court. :)

4. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Yea, don't be scared to approach them. The only thing to be scared of is beating them too bad. :p

5. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    playing with foreign players

Hi,
    I too used to travel abroad now n then. Well, if u love this game, just take yr rackets n approach them and tell them u wish to have a game with them. I dont think they will reject u. Unless u are way off their standard or they are really serious players playing for competition.i suceeded in making friends and played with players whom I cant communicate clearly. Just like ducks and chicken talking to each another. U can make it........believe in yrself.:D
    Lee

6. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    The only thing they can say is "No, thanks!" and they'll look like jerks. I remember I approached a group and straight out asked for a game. All of them were really very good and I couldn't keep up with them. But it was REALLY FUN! :D

If you try hard and have a good attitude, you won't be turned away. Go ahead and ask for a game, then come back here on BadmintonForum and tell us how it went.

-dave

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Yes, it doesn't hurt to ask. Go there with the intention of making friends first, badminton secondary. Get to know them well. Like Wilfredlgf said, you need to establish some 'street cred' in the group before good players invite you to join them.

8. dweebus

dweebus Regular Member

civil engineer, bass guitar monkey
    Getting it done. Oh,yeah.

I'm making headway! I got invited to play some matches.:D Just gotta keep plugging away to get more chances for better matches.

Thanks to all of you guys here at Badminton Central for your kind words of support.

I think that if I just keep showing up and playing with all of my effort, they will have no choice but to accept me.

Now, I just need to figure out how to crack some jokes in Chinese.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I remember dropping into a club in Brisbane. Being the "new face", I didn't attract much attention. After a couple of games with the weaker players, somebody must have noticed because the invites came in after that. It's quite gratifying.

Another time I followed Kwun in SF. Different situation totally. It's difficult to get off court!

10. SomeDudeInBlue

SomeDudeInBlue Regular Member

Student
    here is my two cent:
    Just ask them and get over it lol

Sounds rude, but yeah. This sterotype of asain and badminton needs to stop anyway. It's how retard we Americans are. I'm not saying ti sucks to be American, I'm just saying not all Americans are smart enough to noticed that otehr European countries play competivie badminton too.

I use to be like you I guess (but I'm Asain), and I play with all racial players. Some good, some suck like crap. In the end it's a competive sport like basketball in a PE Class. We play to win or just to have fun.

I was scared in the begining playing with more experiance players, but getting over it and actually getting experiance is what matter. Dont worry buddy, things would be easy after you first introduction! Badminton is suppuse to help you make new friends!

11. jkad65

jkad65 Regular Member

Most of the good players I know adjust their game to yours--they don't smash too hard or too often, no deception shots and give you many opportunities to practice your smash.

12. SomeDudeInBlue

SomeDudeInBlue Regular Member

Student
    yeah I noticed that too and sometimes I do that. But if you play agressive enough, they will turn it up a level. If you can't beat part of tehir level, it's still a good experiance NO MATTER what. It's only not a good experiance if you beat your opp. too easily

13. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Decades ago I used to play a lot of drop-in places so I would know a lot of players who we could mix & match for competitve game(s). Now adays, once in a blue moon I would have an opportunity to drop-in at an old stomping ground, but I would hardly know anybody there. I would try to scout out some players who would be around my calibre, but not too far above my abilities.

When were warming up, my shots were pathetic (adjusting to the new court conditions), I could see my partner & my opponents almost rolling their eyes saying who's the strongest player to team-up with this old fart who keeps on hitting the rim & out of the court!

When the game started, I made shots way beyond the cailbre of my partner (who usually was the stronger of the three) or my opponents, and that's when they realized the teams were mis-matched.

By the next round, "I was teamed up with the weakest player" and the rallies was much more interesting. With me being quite loud & vocal (but hopefully not obnoxtious), the top players then noticed my abilities and I knew I was able to request a challenge from them.

What I am saying is that, if you feel you want to play against the top players, you may need to show your warez by challenging players of simular abilities and working up the hierarchy. If you feel "you are" at the caibre of the top players, then by all means challenge them and let them see your abilities! If you are at par or better, I am pretty sure the losing teams will be willing to take on a re-match.

As long as you're not too cocky or have any attitude, most players are willing to play one game with you.

Cheers!

14. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    glad to hear that you are having fun

i still have this problem. i usually have to find a friend to come with me. it kidna sucks when the place you play are full of clicky people. :(