my cocky friend, suggestions plz

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by K-MusclePower, Sep 19, 2005.

1. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    lol thats a great response. but anyways if hes like that yeah why would you be freinds with him anyways i mean personally i have known some cocky players but there just how to put it kinda playful cocky now like yeah talk big but dont mean any of it...kinda hard to explain. but i mean if you are better than him and you do beat him yet he comes up with excuses that are just stupid, oh i was tired, or oh i wasnt trying. well 1st of all you shoudl always try when you play unless you like an international player playing against a new player...that would probaly kill the new guy. but back to the point just show him what your made of even if you lose it might mean hes better and might not be easy to accpet but he will know that you have game and can improve and become better. where as if you play him and destroy him yet he comes up with an excuse dont think anyless of yourself he just cant accept the fact that sombody is better than him.

i say dont think about it to much there will be people like that in life all you have to do is keep a smile on your face and dont let them get to you. i mean yes i have expirenced this before well they wernt friends but just other players and if you let it get to you it can bring down your game level i think, i say just laugh it off thats what i do sometimes and it works for me but everybody has their own way. also just improve if your better than him already stillkeep on improving if your not then still do it, no matter what he says or does dont let him keep you down.

2. SomeDudeInBlue

SomeDudeInBlue Regular Member

Student
    Sounds like our school stuff too lol There always a moron at each school team i guess.

Just beat him :D

I personally let them be cocky and when they play a real game see them make excusses. I ignore the morons on our school team really.

3. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    LOL sounds so typical man!
    Seen many stories like that~
    Keep training hard and OWN HIM! YA!:D:D:D

4. hahahalol

hahahalol Regular Member

well....i guess that's the way it is then....majority rules!!!!

5. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    sounds just like my friend judy who just bought a AT500, is your friend Judy?

6. juris

juris Regular Member

night stalker
    Tell him that "im not trying yet, im tired, i havent played for a while" then start putting him down saying that you are so much better than him. Hehe!

7. Pball

Pball Regular Member

just make sure he is heterosexual first.. otherwise... :eek:

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Have to second Lazybuddy's sentiment on this issue. You have no control over your friend's attitude, but you do have control over yours. Play the game and improve yourself because that's what you want, not because you wanna beat his cocky ass. As long as you got the right motivation and the right attitude, you won't be bothered as much by your friend. If you're bothered, what does it say about YOUR mental focus and character? So start doing things for the right reasons.

Everybody has the inalienable right to their own self-expression. Whether it's acceptable to others is really another different matter. Be it cocky or not... it's still none of your concern.

Also, don't judge ability by just a few casual games. Win and loss in badminton fluctuates like the weather or the direction of the wind. You're the better player when you can consistently beat your opponent in serious tourney environment. By then, no amount of excuses from him will prevail.

#28 cappy75, Sep 21, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  9. OveRHeaDCleaR

OveRHeaDCleaR New Member

Heres an idea u can use

First of all, if you know u can beat him, u know his style of play, ask the coach if u can challenge him, and ask the coach to watch the match, i'm sure he'd want to stay in the team and try his best. And prove that u r equal or greater in comparison to his abilities.

Just remember, you aren't playing to beat him..................... you are playing to beat urself :cool:

-Ur Computer Will Explode In Ten Seconds, Have A Nice Day :)

10. kmodak

kmodak Regular Member

K-Musclepower

If your friend is always playing with the advanced level players his game is bound to improve and eventually he will get better. You should graduate to the advanced level players. Idea is to get friendly and mix with the advanced level players to improve your game rather than focus on your friend. That way you will get to compete in any case.

11. Jumpalot

Jumpalot Regular Member

First of all, how does a new player team up with the best player thats already on the team for a trial? Sounds like there is something wrong with the coach anyways. Why would he pick someone because he did well with the #1 player on the team? Anyways, if thats the case how do you blame your partner for doing that since if both of you play together then probably neither of you wouldnt make the team if the coach is that blind.

The only part I noticed thats very possible is the attitude change which is common with new players and possibly happens to most of us once we get "good" enough :) But not to defend your friend too much, many times a player in order to become better has to play with more advanced players. I say if he is able to get the more advanced player to accept him into the playing groups thats more power to him.

Finally, I would say that team isnt really any good. At least after being on the team training and ditching you for more advanced players, he should be much better than you by now so you didnt lose anything by not being on that team. But given what you said about making mistakes on 50% of the smashes doesnt seem like a well trained player. Anyways, whether you beat him or not doesnt change the situation one bit and I suggest you improve your game as quickly and as much as possible and there is always next year's team trial and there is always tournaments where you can "prove" yourself and "prove" you are better than him.

12. egibooga

egibooga Regular Member

lol all u should do is.... ditch HIM. go play with OTHER good ppl. this way u'll be getting training he wont. and u wont fall behind him, just cuz hes playing with good ppl and ur not. good luck!

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Very well said. Many so call school coaches have absolute no idea about badminton. They took the duty, either because they need to fill up some "off school" responsibility, or need to get OT, or of course, as the better ones, willing to help. Therefore, there are more or less bugs in the team trial, training and management.

I still remember when i was young, I was ordered to leave the trial, even w/o stepping on the court. All of such because the coach saw I was short and fat, well others seems in better physcial condition. :( :crying: