Yonex German Open 2024

Discussion in '2024 Tournaments' started by Baddyforall, Feb 26, 2024.

1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

#1 Baddyforall, Feb 26, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    nokh88, Cheung, browning and 3 others like this.
  2. Baddyforall

It seems like super300 tournament has lost interest among badminton lovers!. No traffic here since the thread started. Am I wrong in opening thread for super 300 level tournaments?

Simeon and ucantseeme like this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    People are not taking into context the Olympic qualification. For me I can’t keep up with all the events. :D

Selectively I am looking at the HK players - women’s singles Lo Sin Yan who is steadily progressing. women’s doubles first seed need to get some good results - currently ranked at no.18 on road to Paris but the their points are still borderline.

Also looking at the US women’s doubles pair of Corbett and Lee. World junior silver medalist last year and in with a chance of making the Olympics as the Pan Am representative. They have won their first round and their direct rivals, the Xu sisters have lost the first round.

Simeon and Baddyforall like this.
  4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Could be due to 2 reasons :

1. The Lunar New Year celebrations.

2. The website was lagging for the last few weeks.

sleepdeprived, Baddyforall and Cheung like this.
  5. Baddyforall

Atleast , I hope this thread will attract some badminton lovers who love to share their views. I usually have Tuesday offday. That's why, I am always free to open a thread on Monday night .

Simeon and Cheung like this.
  6. Habisin-Habisin

Habisin-Habisin Regular Member

Indonesian BL seem to have lost interest in all tournaments as the result of the poor performance of INA team's recently.
    Even the INA professional player sub forum has been quiet for a long time from discussion.

Simeon likes this.
  7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I finished the 2nd day live at the hall and this event has a pretty poor line up. Many big names are missing.
    Tomorro I will be there the 3rd and last day. Maybe I can take some photos tomorrow and share if anybody is interested.

Simeon, feifeichen, Cheung and 5 others like this.
  8. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

yes that would be super, thank You :)

Simeon and ucantseeme like this.
  9. Baddyforall

Glad to hear that. Yes. I am in.

ucantseeme likes this.
  10. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Great. I try my best to make a small report to give everybody an overview about the event.

nokh88 and Cheung like this.
  11. DinB

DinB Regular Member

The Thai XD pair on court 1 was leading 14-5 in the first game but still managed to lose 18-21. Amazing comeback from the Taiwan pair.

12. browning

browning Regular Member

ucantseeme and Simeon like this.
  13. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Stine KUESPERT (xd) got injured badly. It was painful to watch her lying on the floor. Seemed to be something on her knee.

14. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Here my promised report about the Yonex German Open.

About me:

I visit this tournament every year since 2011 and needed to stay home in 2022 due a covid infection. IMO they improved over the years in terms of schedule and made it more professional than a few years ago.

I bought my tickets in november 23 without knowing who will participate. I wanted to see Chen/Toh, Lee/Wang. Chia/Soh and also the Kims (Kim Sa Rang/Kim Gi Jung) who played last year vs. Astrup/Rasmussen and lost in a very tough match, but none of these players was there.

My personally highlights I have seen this year were Kedren/Jomkoh, Lu/Yang, Kim/Jeong, Hee/Tan and Tang/Tze which gave me some good moments but at the end this was without any disrespect to the players below my expectations.

2023 I had the impression that players struggles to kill the shuttle. This year the shuttles seems to be faster and the games in the doubles disciplines were nice to watch.

Here a few impressions:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the entrances they have two concept stores. This year they came with a new and better presentation. Prices were normal/high so nothing for bargain hunters. I got my hands on a few rackets for dry swings. They also had an outlet store at the basement (no photo) but also the prices were in par with a sale/special offer from any shop.

[​IMG]

You had an infopoint for the spectators. The guy was very helpful and friendly. Beside the infopoint there was a mincourt (no photo). There was a rapid fire challenge. You had every day a 3rd tier pro player (thursday it was Daniel Hess) there. The challenge was to play 30 shots in the shortest time you can manage. So you made a drive challenge with a pro player and you could try out a few rackets.

[​IMG]

Here was the menu at the restaurant inside the hall. Luckily you can leave the hall and come back. Beside the hall is a kebap restaurant, a super market and a backery. Also the pros prefer to buy there stuff at the super market. The kebap restaurant is pretty popular across the pro players. I don’t understand why they serve such kind of food. 1 liter water was 10€, while I remember a time you paid 2€ for 1.5 liter water a few years back.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the stringing booth. Had a nice chat with a stringer. Maybe interesting for all stringers here:

They did 2-piece, between +2lbs and +10% on the crosses, set back the tension of the mains for a few top crosses. 10% on knots. He did the racket for Julia Meyer at this time at 13kg mains, 14kg cross.

BTW I met a popular stringer at the toilet who didn’t washed his hands after it. DISGUSTING!

If you take a closer look, @ckyew was part of the media team (MEDIA 27). I said hello to him. Very humble and friendly guy.

Here a few mixed photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the poor quality of the images. I just had a mobile phone with me. :(

#14 ucantseeme, Mar 1, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    Woesi, feifeichen, DinB and 8 others like this.
  15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    10 euros for water? Why so high?

16. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Pretty common in germany that the same amount of beer is cheaper or equal to water when you go out. ;)
    At the entrance a few security controlled every bag with a flashlight and also take them up to get an impression of the weight to prevent that you hide any bottles. As a spectator you are not allowed to bring any food or something to drink in so you need to buy inside the hall or leave the hall and risk to miss matches.
    Around 2011-2016 (IIRC) this was not an issue, but in the past many people were disrespectful left their garbage all over the hall.

#16 ucantseeme, Mar 1, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    Simeon, s_mair and Cheung like this.
  17. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

180120-563ff8b23e3e817f526afba3318b8d24.jpg food options as pathetic as 5 years ago :)

18. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

full size pic :)
    german_open.jpg

feifeichen, Cheung and ucantseeme like this.
  19. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

Puavaranukroh/Taerattanachai - Tabeling/Piek : 18-21, 15-21

Woohoo!

Cheung likes this.
  20. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Nice pictures. I think bwf shd ban this medical break or injury thingy. It's been abused. So, either they play or give a walkover or retired from the match. Nuisance break. What do you think? Exploitations. ;)