LiNing China Masters (Nov 21 - Nov 26, 2023)

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by Baddyforall, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    Could be visa restriction as he is a foreigner. Notice the same with hong kong team too where flandy was not coaching the XD pair

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

SO thats the end of 19 SS tournament this season. Interesting that Axelsen has 5 titles while Jonatan has 3 titles. Through it all, MS is not the most dominated discipline at all.

Therefore we look to the battle of MS and MD in the WorldTourFinal.

3. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    there are 2 emails you can try:
    1. resident.idiot.in.charge@bwf.com
    2. we.dont.care.what.you.think@bwf.doesnt.care.com

4. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Is korea MD just gonna depend on Seo/Kang? They really not gonna kim won ho return to MD?

5. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Naraoka lighted up my hope, and also Naraoka shut it down.

:D:D:D:D

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hadn’t thought of that. Flandy has been travelling a lot with the players and probably not had time to arrange the visa.

7. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

Depends how you define domination.
    For example, MS and XD are the only categories where the same player won 3 x Super 1000. Pretty dominating..?
    And WS is far from dominated by one player. Yet, with 9 out of 10 of the Super 1000/750 split between two players, I would argue it is the most dominated category.. just not dominated by one player but by two players.

Also interesting that the last contestant in MS wasn't found until the very last MS match.

8. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

I thought there was 50 - 50 chances between improved Nishimoto and Naraoka. I was surprised that Naraoka has also improved so much that he was able to play with reasonable amount of calmness and discipline. I think Naraoka knows his own weak point is his stamina. So he is training himself hard to compensate that.

No matter what people say, if Naraoka train hard to improve himself, we will be seeing more of him in finals. Next I would very much like to see how he train himself to handle Viktor Axelson.

Viktor has proven himself to be a formidable force to reckon with in the World of badminton. Near perfection if he can keep up.

#248 Pcyl, Nov 27, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
  9. lurker

lurker Regular Member

Really?
    I thought that was one of his strengths instead? To tired and frustrate the opponent with his retrievals and boring safe shots?

skhai91, Cheung and trizzforce like this.
  10. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Thats why its using 19 tournaments as thats the top level.

the feeling this year is XD and WS is the most dominated and boring.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It seems not so many new players making the breakthrough. I have a feeling it’s due to the covid effect. Perhaps some players that we might have seen challenging now have dropped out of the game altogether.

12. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

I think a lot more players will peak in time for the Olympics, kunlavut, ginting will probably be on form again, LSF as well, especially where china have the luxury of going with others if he doesn’t. I expect way tougher competitions next yr compared to this, felt like most top players kinda wasn’t into it.

13. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

Then let's look at those 19 tournaments..
    I agree with WS, but it is interesting that your "feeling" highlights XD when Zheng Si Wei / Huang Ya Qiong "only" won 5 World Tour titles + Asian Games. It is the exact same as Viktor: 3 x Super 1000, 1 x 750, 1 x Super 500 + Asian Games / European Games. So how is XD the most dominated and boring while MS is not the most dominated at all?

Number of different winners for Super 750+ (10 tournaments) and for Super 500+ (19 tournaments), per category:
    WS: 3 and 6.
    WD: 6 and 8.
    XD: 6 and 10.
    MD: 7 and 10.
    MS 7 and 11.

So going by World Tour tournament winners, XD was actually almost as diverse as MS and MD. And WS was by far the most dominated.

Cheung likes this.
  14. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

WS dominated by ASY
    XD dominated by China winning more than half of the 19 i believe. ZhengHuang has already dominated more than 5 years not just this year.

15. justiceforlcy

justiceforlcy Regular Member

Kunlavut's strength is indeed tiring his opponents out. However, I think he does it by using his skills to execute shots that force the opponents to move around more than himself. While Naraoka, on another hand, seems to be the one moving more than his opponents for the most part so his strength is more stamina-based, in my opinion. So from how I see it, both Kunlavut and Naraoka appear to win the game using the same strategy, yet the way they approach that strategy is different from each other.
    This is also why I appreciate watching them play by the way; it might not be the most exciting strategy, but the consistency and endurance that it requires is extraordinary (a little bit like Chen Long back then but a little more extreme because of their smaller figures which require them to retrieve a lot more)

Justin L, Pcyl and Michael V like this.
  16. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

I also l like watching these 2 play. I enjoy both fast initiating attack styles and also these "waiting for attacks to counter attack" styles. Guess I'm a patient person and I don't care how they win as long as they train hard and have the will to win.