LiNing China Masters (Nov 21 - Nov 26, 2023)

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by Baddyforall, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

10 red cards is exaggeration. Have players ever mention about red card to umpire before lol. but Naraoka deserves a talking to. He is 22 years old and he looks as tired as those women double girls playing 100 rallies.

2. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

The umpires should in general use their cards much more. Maybe there is some subconscious perception of the cards (yellow and red) as being as match deciding as in soccer (or other sports)? The truth is they are not.

If two soccer teams of equal strength play and one team gets a red card halfway through the match, they are in trouble.
    If two badminton players of equal strength and one player gets a red card halfway through the match, it changes something, but not much.

Players know that the cards are almost never used so they do not care that maybe, maybe!, if they have a really strict umpire, they will get a yellow card in the third game. Who cares?? I would bet even Narakoa and Antonsen are much more worried about the service judge than the potential prospect of receiving a card.

Just use your damn cards, umpires! That is why you have them.

Cheung, Simeon, oldtaby and 2 others like this.
  3. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Kunlavut surviving by the skin of his teeth in G2 on court 3. Couple of super close (though clearly out) smashes from Nishimoto at match points that could’ve just ended the match for Kunlavut if it was wrongly called. Must be nerve-wracking being on a court with no Hawkeye!

4. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I feel the victory, very close to it. But Nishimoto smashed out

5. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

BWF has to find a solution to this court-mopping situation. These MS matches are sometimes borderline 50% just them at their kit boxes waiting while the court is being mopped. Very boring to watch. Maybe they should take a page from NBA where court-mopping/wiping happens almost invisibly.

6. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

I made a conscious effort not to watch this one for that obvious reason, seems like I dodged a bullet,
    I commented about time wasting after their earlier match and had some response.

7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

AhsanHendra riding into the sunset. Being ranked top 10 still, I would say this is the Final year of them being competitive. Unless they can still end next year top 10 which i dont think so.

8. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Still utterly confused about the decision to split Lee SH/Shin SC and Baek HN/Lee YL. It seemed the intention was to make a more consistent pair in Baek HN/Lee SH but almost a year into the new partnerships, it doesn’t really feel too much like it. Miss the old partnerships.

9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    The most boring match is when NTY is playing.
    I recall it was so slow with so many court mopping interuptions that I could pat the dog to sleep and come back with them still mopping the court.

10. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

Damn! that’s what I’ve been missing, a dog to while away the hours when watching these snooze fest. :p:D

glad to see my new found knowledge of “bold quoting” is working, many thanks Baddyforall.:cool:

11. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

My father used to be an umpire, albeit at a lower level. Mostly they are taught to follow the rules exactly, but when they are evaluated as umpires they are judged on how well they kept control of the match.

I don't think this is specifically taught, but there is a pervasive idea that having to give cards is a sign something has already gone wrong. It's like they are expected to maintain control by the force of their authority, and if they have to resort to giving cards they have failed in that regard. From what I've heard from him, most umpires pride themselves on giving few cards.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. It is good to have umpires whose presence radiate authority. And at lower levels, where the players aren't professionals, there isn't often the motivation for players to push the rules as far as possible (because it makes it a more miserable experience for everyone). But at the top level, where a players income is directly determined by how much they win, this mentality is detrimental. The pros don't care how stern a warning is because they know the umpires likely won't follow it up with anything.

Cheung and Hassefar60 like this.
  12. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

tragic defeat for Aaron/Soh as lost to CHN uprisers He/Ren...

13. cococo

cococo Regular Member

Man/Tee defense is too weak for Liu/Ou attack.

I don't think they can improve it much because Liu/Ou power is too strong for them to counter.

They need to change strategy next time, either they just target Ou or play defensive away from the net and don't give Liu/Ou the chance to smash and wait for the opportunity to find the empty space to hit the shuttle.

Sent from my SM-A136B using Tapatalk

14. Habisin-Habisin

Habisin-Habisin Regular Member

China has finally found the right combination (He/Ren) of players who previously have not developed optimally.
    Off course It's still too early to judge but so far their prospect is quite promising.
    If only Indonesia (PBSI) had the courage to do the same thing.

15. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

That’s why some feel (me included) needs to change, umpires need to show more authority and it’s not the case things have gone too far,
    most cases it hasn’t, the little stop starts, the turning away and going round the court before returning shuttle etc,
    if umpires are more vocal in bringing the culprit forward and have a word more readily/sooner,
    then follow it with a card if it persist,call their bluff!, these players are using it to disrupt the game to gain an advantage ,
    then it’s equally feasible that umpires warning/card might get into their head and even out the game play,
    if it means eventually to Red and disqualification therefore hitting them in the pockets,they’ll think again in future.

At the present juncture, it kills the game as a spectacle,Pro players are using flawed umpiring as “marginal gain”,
    a term made famous by Dave Brailsford if you a Pro Cycling follower, except Badminton’s marginal gain is legal,
    not like the kind that involves suspicious Brown Jiffy Bags flown in by couriers ahead at race stages.

16. smikey

smikey Regular Member

No one is arbitrarily assigning who is facing whom. You can actually predict the bracket at Ranking deadline for each tournament. Just like any major sports.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Wow, just managed to watch the replay of Tai TY vs Zhang Yiman, totally out of my expectation. What a transformation by ZYM if we compared how she was bamboozled by TTY in their two previous encounters where she was literally toyed with by TTY's deceptive play so much so that I even thought she might developed a phobia playing TTY again today.

Not at all, aside from TTY's sudden retirement while trailing at 8-11 in G3 when serving and was caught by ZYM's disguised return of serve whereupon TTY start-stop-and-then-moves forward motion before she called it quits on grounds of injury. Who would have thought TTY on the receiving end of ZYM's trick return shot, a taste of her own medicine, to result in her ending the match abruptly.

In fact, from beginning to end, ZYM defied my expectations by being able to handle TTY's game in almost every department to deliver a well-fought close affair, dropping G1 18-21 followed by equalizing with G2 21-19 and even went ahead in the decider till TTY conceded the match at 11-8 down citing injury.

Yes, I was blown away by ZYM's performance today and it brings back my belief that she might well become a late bloomer, hopefully following in the footsteps of her illustrious senior compatriot , the legendary Zhang Ning, whose accomplishments, two-time Olympic Women's Singles gold medallist at age 28 and 32 in the 2004 Athens and the 2008 Beijing Games , needs no further elaboration.

Excellent job, Zhang Yiman. Keep it up. Way to go !

Simeon likes this.
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Talking about the drawing of lots, it turns me off too that the same matchups in the first two rounds , R1 especially, in every two or three consecutive tournaments are occurring (once ?) too often. Makes one wonder how random are the drawing of lots. Just thinking aloud as some have noticed it too and brought up the subject.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Oh, Wang Zhiyi's victory over An Se Young is just as stunning or shocking but I haven't got time to watch the replay yet , so I'll reserve my comment for later.

20. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

To be honest they’ve been wasting money for many years. But then again, this is the best we’ve got. Representation is necessary for BAI. Sad state of WS