Kento Momota (new thread)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by visor, May 12, 2020.

1. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

It's not that holding a racket will make you a hero like in movies or video games, but it will maximize your performance on the court.

For example, holding the 99 pro white, your performance is only 60% but with the 77pro red, the performance is 85%.

Even chen long (Olympic and world champion) still has to put a heavy patch on the head of the racket, don't think that the manufacturer will make something special like a racket specifically for a certain athlete. (paintjob)

2. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

He is a professional, surrounded by professionals and sponsored. Do you really think that something like a racket would be the cause of his performance? He is not an amateur like us here that could blame our performance on a racket that we can't change because of the cost.

Nonconvex likes this.
  3. terrynguyen121988

I think so, not only Momota but players

4. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

I am on the side that racket has an effect but maybe not to the same extent that is being pushed here.

I am looking at my own experience here. I was playing with VZF2 and then switched to Duora10 and then switched to AX88D. The AX88D changed my game completely - shot quality, power, precision and overall ease. It also helped me with my stamina slightly because I could keep the smash going without getting tired. Duora10 just felt dead to me.

Now I switched to a Victor Auraspeed 90k if i'm not mistaken and again my game has changed. I am using a lot more feints, a lot more stick smash and I am getting to a lot more defensive shot from smashes. But I don't have the power that I had with the AX88D and I certainly feel less tired compared to AX88D and even less compared to VZF2.

But that's me! A mere mortal noob. We are talking about a Japanese Team A player here and former World No.1 bla bla.

While I do think it will have an impact on the overall style of his game, it will be minor. Momota guessing correctly the side of the smash is something that he had lost and seems to have it back now to certain extent. That is not something a racket can do.

Momota having much better footwork and actually leaping to get to smashes is again not something a racket can do. Normal smash retrieval yes but the leaping/diving to get the smash is not possible with only racket change.

His footwork to retrieve deep court net shot is not something the racket can do.

But the feints maybe yes.

Also do not forget that Momota was no.2 when he was using VZF2.

lodoss, Cheung and Renmazuo27 like this.
  5. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

As a sidenote here, you guys gave given me a wonderful idea as a side business... badminton racquet fitting!
    ZF1 before that, Arcsaber Z-Slash as well.

6. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

My point is that he can try any racket as he wish. If he feel the need for a change, Yonex would provide any model he would want, even if it would need a paint job.
    So he can find his perfect racket at anytime in his career unlike amateurs like us that don't have the opportunity to try each racket.
    Some pros don't even know what racket they are actually playing with, they just get what feels right for them.

7. Svyat

Svyat Regular Member

Software Developer
    Ok. That was a nice run. I ll be completely happy if he just keeps doing runs like this once in a while. Pleasure to watch.

LenaicM and Renmazuo27 like this.
  8. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

If he can just keep his motivation alive, he can only get better and better.

Some people have motivation but lack the mental and physical discipline.

From what I see Momota is very capable of mental and physical discipline. What he needs is motivation.

Before being suspended, he was he was very motivated by Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei. When he came back, LD and LCW were still playing.

He had extra motivation because he was happy he was allowed to play again. He climbed to the very top with eyes on Olympic.

Then the tragic incident happened.

He played like someone who doesn't want to get too tired or risk getting injured. Had good reasons to move on from his ambition in badminton. After all, he has already achieved much more than many can dream of.

Now, it is like he became motivated again. So, for the sports of badminton, I pray he can keep his new found motivation alive. Everything will take care by itself. He still can offer so much to the sport.

9. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    any idea where he'll land on tuesday ?

10. Head Heavy

Head Heavy Regular Member

His BWF ranking should be around #36, so that may be enough to participate in the top tournaments,
    depending on forfeit and qualification.

visor, Quentin11 and Sumanth99 like this.
  11. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

He was definitely tired after playing so many matches but he definitely is starting to play better. It was a pretty easy win for SYQ, i hope its juz cos he’s tired

12. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Think KM used the wrong strategy.
    Today, SYQ was very good in defence from smashes and Momota's smashes were not the deadliest hence ineffective.
    He should opted to rally with good lifts to minimise being attacked and hopefully tire out SYQ.

13. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    You mean his sunken cheek?
    And his empty stare?

14. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

Woah!…that WADA claim is libellous, and the Psychomotor agitation suggests he’s Schizophrenic,
    you might not like the guy but come on, that’s cruel. :eek:

15. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

edit wrong thread

16. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

Regarding the commotion, I doubt SYQ has schizophrenia. My inclination is towards anxiety and a strong desire to win, especially given the match's significance to both players. I speculate they might have administered something to him as he appears less than sober than other players. If it turns out that he got investigated, you heard it here first!

17. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

O.k., noted, if he’s ever investigated and a positive test, I’ll be first here to commend you on your critical eye. ;)

Phew! thank god you clarified your position on my reading of his Schizo,
    I take it anything Psycho, Motor or Neuro is a brain issue,
    there I thought I hope you’re not stuck in a lift with him when he takes a Schizo attack, the result won’t be pretty.:D

#2137 Suilven, Nov 19, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
  18. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

So what's next for Momota? Next tournament?

19. terrynguyen121988

Next year.

20. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Probably INA Masters

Schultzier likes this.